Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

100 WORST cars of all time:

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 100 WORST cars of all time:
    Posted: December/11/11 at 9:26pm
How many will you admit to owining:

I have owned 3 from the list - Fiat 124 Sport Coupe, Eagle Premier (not that bad - but the paint came off in huge chunks), and Renault Dauphene (FIrst Car - couldn't afford anything else).
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/11 at 9:29pm
What a great but painful gallery. 

"Not that bad - but the paint came off in huge chunks" 
ROFL - Not sure about you, but I would not put into the 'not that bad category' any car that can't even hold it's own paint! :-) 

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/11 at 9:45pm
They were experimenting with applying electrically charged paint that was suposed to bond to the metal - which it did for a couple of years - but something happend in the third year and the bond ceased to hold the paint on - some people fought AMC and got a partial settlement - I sold the car.  By the way, the Eagle Premier was designed by the Gregario studios in Italy - but unfortunatly built by AMC / Chrysler in the USA. 
Jack -

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/11 at 10:22pm
Oh, I owned only one car on the list - the Datsun F10. Mine had an annoying habit of losing its left front wheel. There were a couple of flat spots on the disk rotor from where it wore down when the disk rotor hit the ground after the tire gained its freedom. 

It also didn't have a second gear or reverse gear... My first ever car repair was to replace the transmission, which I did solo. 

Other than that, it was "not that bad." :-) 

Edited by CORNERS - December/12/11 at 9:11am
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/11 at 10:45pm
LOL
Jack -

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/11 at 6:21am
I can admit to one.  The VW412 wagon.  Actually wasn't too bad.  Had an auxillary gas heater that ran when the engine was off.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/11 at 7:07am
I have never owned any of those, but I have ridden in many of them! 

I wish I had that 53 Corvette now!!!  I was looking at an original owners manual or shop manual for that year and noticed that there was a "Station wagon model" of that same year.  They apparently planned to make them, had prototypes (6) and they put photos of it on the cover of the manual; REALLY LIKE TO OWN ONE OF THOSEBig smile 

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Erhan View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/11 at 8:28am
I was being entertained by the list until I saw the Ariel Atom at 94th place... This article must be prepared by someone who's 85 and hate cars...
2011 R56 S
Wilwood BBK, Konig feather wheels & AD08 tires, Alta FMIC, NM dischrg pipe, BC Racing coilovers, Alta 22mm rear sway & endlinks, Hsport rear cont arms, TSW xbrace, JCW steering wheel
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/11 at 8:43am
We looked at the Solstice (#100) when Jo's BMW died.  Then we looked at Minis...

We also looked at the Sterling in 1987 (#68).  Jo passed because it had a plastic gas cap cover.  We bought her '87 BMW 325is instead.

My dad had the '58 Bird (#51).  I really liked that car.  Still do.

I had a '75 914 (#45).  Loved that car and someday I want another (along with a '58 Bird, TR3, Bugeye Sprite, Studebaker Hawk, and a bunch of other oldies.   Still buying the lotto tickets...).

Ahhh.  #31 - the 1975 Corvette.  I got it really cheap in '76.  I wanted to hang the engineer(s) who allowed the RF sparkplug to be totally inaccessible.  You actually had to loosen the motor mount and jack the engine up.  The front end got floaty over 75mph, but still an OK car compared to what else was available in '75.

#3 - '59 BMW Isetta.  Dad again.  The T-Bird was a bit of a gas hog, so this was his commuter (wasn't the Suez Canal thing going on then?).  I was fascinated by how the steering wheel and steering column folded away when you opened the door.  Dad didn't have any misunderstanding about what the car was - he called it his winter motorcycle (we lived in Denver...).
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/11 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Rob N Rob N wrote:

I can admit to one.  The VW412 wagon.  Actually wasn't too bad.  Had an auxillary gas heater that ran when the engine was off.

My brother had one of those when I was in high school. He had an accident (Someone front-ended him) and the car was totaled. After he removed all the parts he wanted, he let us wail on it with sledge hammers for a few days before the wrecker came to take it to the junkyard. 
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/11 at 12:31pm
#12, Renault Alliance (in the form of the hatchback Encore) is still sitting in my driveway.  Everything you've heard about these is true.  Fantastic mileage- 35 around town, 40+ on the highway- can't hide the fact that everything that came from the factory needed to be replaced.  Only then could you get 225k+ (like I did) out of the car.  Reasonably sporty and good looking, unreasonably flimsy.  At least I got 215k out of the engine block before it needed any work (such as a valve job).  That was money poorly spent.

Stacie's first car was #2, the Mustang II.  Unbelievably difficult to drive in every way as the brakes, steering, suspension, clutch and transmission fought you every inch.  Loud inside with an awful ride as well.  Took us forever to sell it after we bought the (!) Encore.  You can see why her subsequent cars were boring Toyota appliances after those first two attempts at owning something fun and sporty.

My sister bought a Citation new back in '82 or '83.  It fell apart so quickly that I joked about her buying a new car next time.  She had to remind me the the Citation was a new car.

My other sister bought a new Gremlin.  Unbelievably, the Citation was worse!

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/11 at 12:38pm
The only one I had was a 74 914 2.0. Great little car that was a ton of fun to autocross. Would really like to find a 914 - 6.

A couple cars on the list, the original Vette and the C 3 Corvette are surprising. Love the look of both cars and a buddy has a 1975. He's the original owner, has a ton of miles on it, still looks good but he's having transmission problems.

Sad part is the number of these cars I remember! The Nash, Gremlin, Pacer, Vega, to name a few. God, these were some really ugly cars!

Cheers!
07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/11 at 12:45pm
I just had a shudder reading valvashon's comment and realizing that all of these cars were once new. Someone had to make a conscious decision to buy a NEW Gremlin and not something else. Wow.
DneprDave View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DneprDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/11 at 3:00pm
Only about 30% of the cars shown were very bad, the rest were pretty cool! 
I think the author of that article is a clown!

Dave
Chili red/ Black roof 2010 Clubman S automatic transmission.

Shadetree mechanic
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/11 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by DneprDave DneprDave wrote:

Only about 30% of the cars shown were very bad, the rest were pretty cool! 
I think the author of that article is a clown!

Dave

I think you are right!  The Atom has got to be a blast to drive and easy to repair.  That 68 0r 69 T-Bird saved the parents of my girlfriend.   They hit a horse while traveling above 70mph crossing Texas and the car did not flip or run off the road but the carcass landed in the backseat (convertible).

Several years later a different girlfriend was hit while driving her AMC Pacer.  The State Troopers said "Any other car would have resulted in her death".

The article singles out the Corvair with swing axles but leaves out the VW Bug with the same suspension.

The author did not know cars.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
swpars View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swpars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/11 at 10:35pm
I agree - the person who wrote this article knows very little about cars.

The 914? Come on. It was a 70's predecessor of the Boxster and sold pretty well, and was as reliable as any air cooled VW.

Ditto the Benz 300SD. If they're calling out out for only having 110 HP, then the 76 HP 240D certainly deserved a mention as well.
'12 Mini Cooper 6AT
'04 BMW 330i 6MT

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/11 at 12:53am
Can't claim any of those on the list.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/11 at 5:08am
A buddy still owns a 300D Benz that he bought new in the 70's.  The only thing that has failed was the pneumatic locking system for the doors, boot and bonnet, everything else still works.

garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/11 at 7:09am
I had a 300D. Rode beautifully but at about 75HP and a 4K+ pound car acceleration was almost imperceptible. 
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/11 at 7:30am
Yep, it is a sled.  My friend uses his/hers as an around town car and I doubt it has ever seen a mountain in the last 20 yearsBig smile  The guy that lives next door to them has a Fiat Topolino wagon with wicker seats that cruzes' to the market about once a year on sunny days just in case they have to push itLOL
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/11 at 8:07am
My dad had a 1960 T bird and I loved that car.  The back seat served me very well.

That car was a monster with 430 cu inches and enough torque to lower the fender substantially when you blipped the throttle.  It also made a terrible moaning/sucking sound at WOT.  I thought the hood would implode.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
 Post Reply Post Reply