Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Site Information and Feedback > Site Feedback
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chat room icon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chat room icon
    Posted: October/19/11 at 7:34pm
Is there any way to make the chat icon at the top of the forum page give some sort of indication when the chat room is occupied?  Maybe make it turn red when the room is occupied and/or have it list who is in it when you mouse over the icon or maybe just have it list the occupants somewhere?  I have on occasion visited the chat room but get no action.  Either nobody wants to chat with me (I'll keep it short- I promise!) or nobody knows it is occupied.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/11 at 8:00pm
I suggest that if there is a topic someone wants to open for discussion they post a date and time for a chat room session - but I like Bruce's idea of making it visable when someone is in the chat room...
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Vader View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/11 at 1:24pm
Ha!  Shows how much I pay attention ... Didn't even know there was a chat room.
Hit the Road Jack ...
'13 R56 PepperWhite-HIS
'13 R60 All4 Oxford Green - HERS
'80 Rover Mini MkVII-EngWh-OURS (really mine!)
('13 R56 IcedChoc-SONS)
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/11 at 11:31pm
There are usually a dozen or so in the chat room and when we see Bruce log on we all leave the chat room. 
Tongue

Actually yesterday was the first time I actually went into the chat room. I'm not feeling the love either.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/11 at 2:16pm
The chat room is a new feature that was included in the v10 release of the forum software.  It's not well-suited for our club since there's not that many people online at the same time who want to chat.  As Jack pointed out, it really only works if you schedule to meet there at a specific time.  I'm tempted to turn the feature off.
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/11 at 4:47pm
Roy - lets have a chat room discussion about turning off the chat room feature - say tonight (Friday 11/4) at 9:00 PM...
Jack -

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/11 at 6:11pm
Everything you see on the psmini.org site other than the main home page is generated by an off-the-shelf web forum software, which leaves little room for customization. 

The chat room not that great of an implementation. One has to manually enter the chat room for your presence to show as 'available' for chat. It would be nice if it made people available for chat when they visit any forum page (but could be disabled in individual preferences). 

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/11 at 8:30pm
Well, I spent about 1/2 hour talking to my self in the chat-room - we'll try again sometime...
Jack -

Post Reply Post Reply