Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > How To Do It
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Clutch slave cylinder & starter lockout circuit
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch slave cylinder & starter lockout circuit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdavidhicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch slave cylinder & starter lockout circuit
    Posted: November/30/15 at 8:09am
2008 MINI Cooper S R56

Hi all:

I tried to find my answer using various combinations of search terms but couldn't find my answer.

I know I've needed a new clutch for about six months now. I've been babying it for the better part of a year, mashing the clutch for every shift change. Note that slipping into another gear with mashed clutch still allowed me about an inch of clutch pedal travel before the clutch began to engage. Once in a while after clutch was smoothly and fully engaged I would punch it to see if I could make the clutch slip. It never did.

Day of failure:

From a stoplight, mash clutch and slip into 1st, engage smoothly, bring to 15 mph and mash clutch for 2nd. Clutch pedal went spongy, further depression led to a rumbling I could hear and feel in the pedal. (throwout bearing?) Could not shift gears, limped into parking lot, set brake and left engine running.

The pedal only returned halfway. I pulled it back up with my hand. The pedal became stiffer and now feels almost like a brake pedal. Still could not put into any gear. Shut engine off.

Sit a minute, push fob in, mash clutch, push start button. Will not start back up.

My question is: With symptoms outlined above, if I replace and properly bleed the clutch slave cylinder, should the engine turn over with clutch mashed?

Or to put it another way: Where in the starter circuit does it detect that the clutch is pushed in? (Because it's definitely not a N/O momentary contact switch behind the clutch pedal.)  The brake/clutch fluid reservoir is halfway between min/max.

I'm sorry, I couldn't compose a tl;dr for this one.

TIA for any advice.

-Dave

-Dave
Ulysses, Special Bone Stock Edition: 08/MCS/LB-W/Stripes/DSC/LSD/DPSR/PremPkg/SportSusp/Xenons
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/15 at 4:26pm
This sounds like damage inside the bell housing. 
 Post Reply Post Reply