Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Expensive repair!! Control arm bushings and struts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Expensive repair!! Control arm bushings and struts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI NonMember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiniMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Expensive repair!! Control arm bushings and struts
    Posted: April/17/10 at 8:20pm
Hi guys... so I was just told today by NW Mini service that my 2004 Cooper with 84k miles needs new strut mounts, control arm bushings, and front brakes.  I was prepared for the front brakes (that was the reason I took it in) but was not prepared for the rest.  Needless to say, this is all going to cost me close to $2k in repairs!  They tell me it's just from normal wear-and-tear and that usually these need replacing at lesser mileage.  I have other people (family members) telling me there's no reason these parts should be failing so soon.  Have any of you other mini owners gone through this and if so, at what mileage?
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/10 at 10:43pm
Brake last depending on your driving style and if you go 80k you did good . A lot of people replace the soft rubber in the control arms with urethane, I am not sure what we are talking about when it comes to the strut towers. I would call Zahntech http://zahntechauto.com/ or how do you feel about doing it yourself (All these things can be done at Pat's)?

Edited by johnf36 - April/17/10 at 11:56pm
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/10 at 2:50am

Freeman View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/10 at 7:19am
I aslo have an R53 and do all my own maintenance (128k miles)I'll do the labor when you get the parts. I have access to the Navy hobby shop car lifts in Smokey Point and the the 8 lifts in the hobby shop on Ft. Mccord.

I just replaced my right front control arm due to a curb, but all my rubber is still good. If interested, I'm currently out to sea and return the middle of next month.
Screamin Deamon Coil, MSD Wires, front strut bar, Weight reduction: carbon fiber hood, Honda emblem hanging from rear bumper
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/10 at 7:21am
I don't want to tackle the control arm bushings (try my own first so if I have a car laid up while I take parts somewhere, it doesn't belong to someone else).  The other stuff we can do here.  Koolblu is coming over today to do his brakes.  I think he went to Mini Mania for the best buy on stock replacement pads and rotors.  You will need brake fluid and a brake wear sensor.  The brake fluid can be purchases at a local parts store.  Let me know about the do it yourself aspect.  Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/10 at 7:27am
Koolblu needs brakes already!??!  The Parades must be taking a vicious toll on the Cabriolet.

S.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
MiniMel View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI NonMember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiniMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/10 at 8:04am
 Thanks for your responses!  Unfortunately I already told the dealership to do the work and they've started (I have a loaner Clubman right now Thumbs Up ).  I didn't realize there were so many fellow mini owners who were willing to help!  Good info to know for the next repair!
I was more curious if 84k miles seems too soon for the control arm bushings and strut mounts to be failing. 
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/10 at 4:06pm
A good bump could crack the rubber on the strut bushing.  But by your mileage, the rubber on both the control arm bushings and strut bushings is getting old.  We've seen control arm bushings need replacing at 30K.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/10 at 4:44pm
Pat you did see that M&M offers the whole unit I thought Way Did too, have you all so seen the new dampner bushing for the tensioner?

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/10 at 7:54pm
Way's looked like the whole thing - what (who is M&M) does M&M have?
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/10 at 8:41pm
M&M = mini madness you see it in the link above.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/10 at 12:28am

Gerarddm View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerarddm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/10 at 2:20pm
Would this be covered under the extended warranty?
Gerarddm>
MiniMel View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI NonMember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiniMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/10 at 2:26pm
I'm long out of any warranties, but I'm not sure if this would be covered under any kind of warranty because they called it "wear-and-tear." 

My service is all done and it came to $1966.  Cry  I also had a leaky valve gasket that they replaced for me at no charge - I think they took pitty on me.  LOL 
chava007 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chava007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/10 at 3:42pm
Hey not bad, I just paid about $130 for the leaky valve gasket.... apparently these cars just like the bulldogs  do like to mark their territory :-)
andiamo_mini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andiamo_mini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/10 at 10:17am
I took my 05 in for an oil change and they notified me that I needed to do that replacement I had 60k, luckily when I bought the car I bought an extended warranty, ended up costing $202 including the oil change.
Can't spell and type at the same time
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/10 at 10:21am
A shade over a 100 dollars for bushings does not sound bad!  Mini and their 100 dollar oil change took a big dent out of that 202 dollar bill.

S.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/10 at 2:50pm
MiniMel -

Sorry to hear about your dilemma.  Unhappy I too have had an expensive repair come up recently (two days ago) and I've only just reached 59,000 miles on my 2006 MCS (with a build date of Aug. 2006).  It is currentyly in the shop at Seattle MINI getting it's throttle body and wiring harness replaced to the tune of $1,420 (before taxes and the 15% PSMINI club member discount).  It is said that the damage was due to humidity/corrosion from water (?).  I have cleaned the engine compartment a time or two, but I didn't think I got it that wet.  Cry 

I'm still on the original brakes, but I know I'll be needing those soon (along with rotors).  You did really well if you have the stock brakes with 84,000 miles.  I've heard the control arm bushings will wear but it seems it varies from MINI to MINI and driver to driver.  Again, sorry to hear about the expenditure you're going through right now. 
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
MiniMel View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI NonMember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiniMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/10 at 3:01pm
Oh actually my front brakes were replaced before I bought the car used at 33k miles.
Dizzy_Jenny View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy_Jenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/10 at 7:57am
i think they mentioned last time i bought the car in for service that i will need them soon, and will know when they go (i think i recall them saying i will hear a "thunk" when i turn).  my car has about 108k, but we bought it higher mileage anyways :)

in the interim, we have been saving because i know it will be a spendy one, lol.  also will be needing new brakes and tires soon as well...  figures ;)
Jenny and Jared

03/MCS/Dark Silver/White Top/White Sport Stripes... otherwise known as Stella :)
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/10 at 12:19pm
Check out the cost for brakes at Mini Mania - the stock ones.  Price is not too bad.  You can contact me and we'll set a date for you to do the install at my garage.  I show you what to do and you do the work and use my tools.  You can save $600 plus.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy_Jenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/10 at 8:16am

Thanks for the info, Pat! I will pass it on to Jared.  Are brakes difficult to do? He is mechanically handy (especially with his 77 ford bronco), me not so much, lol 

Jenny and Jared

03/MCS/Dark Silver/White Top/White Sport Stripes... otherwise known as Stella :)
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/10 at 8:28am
Brakes are simple to do, but maybe not easy.  Having air and the right tools makes the hard stuff easier.  Bring Jared with you - each take a side, and we'll give Jared the hard side. 

'77 Bronco, huh?  Very cool!

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy_Jenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/10 at 10:42pm
lol! please do give him the hard side! i will pass along the message - thanks a bunch, i really appreciate it :)

yeah - he loves the bronco!  he's a gearhead and wanted to get away from computerized stuff.  we just picked it up in february.  it's in gorgeous condition and cherry red with a white top :)  i almost think he'd be tempted to bring it to the griot's clinic, LOL. (which i am sure he will be shopping for himself, ha!)
Jenny and Jared

Zinger223 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinger223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/10 at 7:42pm
Hey Pat!

This is Jared (husband of Dizzy_Jenny).  Appreciate the offer of the use of your garage.  I took a look at the procedure in my service manual and it looks like the biggest snafus are the torx bolt for the rotor retaining screw and they mention a special tool for compressing the caliper.  I traditionally used a C-Clamp and square of wood to do the same.  I would manually screw the caliper back into itself.  Beyond those, it looks like 4 bolts to remove the caliper and pad carrier.   Anything I am missing?

Another question would be why the huge cost difference beyond brand name between OEM and say Duralast's from Autozone.  I picked up Duralast Gold rotors and pads (front and back) for about $250 total today.

Enjoying the Bronco, working through some mechanical problems as it sat for a couple years without being driven much, and now I am daily driving it.  Yeehawww!!

Edited by Zinger223 - May/20/10 at 7:46pm
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/10 at 7:56pm
Hi, Jared:

Use some WD-40 or Kroil on the torx bolt.  I have an impact screwdriver that gets a fair amount of use on brake jobs.

The front caliper pistons need to be just pushed back into the caliper - no turning like the rears.  Harbor Freight sells a brake piston set for about $30, and there is a size that fits the rears just fine.

I don't know about the Duralast rotors.  You probably don't want to hear this, but the last time I picked up some rotors from someone other than NAPA or someone like Mini Mania or Moss Motors, I ended up with big time warping problems.  The store's response - "Oh - they all do that".  For an extra $15 or $20, I walk by Shucks and Autozone.  That said, the rotors will probably be just fine.

You should plan on replacing the sensor as well.  I haven't seen one survive the removal from the old pads yet - they really get glued in there.  The easiest way to do that is take out the fender liner, unless you have a lift to get the car up so you can reach in behind the partially removed liner.

Last, if it has been over a year for a fluid flush, you should consider doing that as well.

I am going to do Jo's brakes (wife's car) Saturday afternoon if you want to come watch/help - probably be done with everybody else's cars (rear sway bar around noon, oil change at 2) around 3:30 or 4.  Come on over!

Pat

Edited by onramp - May/20/10 at 7:58pm
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
Zinger223 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinger223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/10 at 8:18pm
Thanks for the reply Pat.   What do you use on your cars for parts?  Is there any value in going with the MINI OEM parts?  Its been well over a year since the fluid has been flushed would want to do that as well.  What is timing look like to do those on Jenny's MINI?  Where is the best place to pick up that sensor?  Thanks again.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/10 at 9:11pm
I got lucky with my sensors, as long as the they have not set off the indicator they are still good. but as Pat points out it is a 50/50 crap shoot. You will need one for the front and one for the rear, as far as cost your going to pay about 14 bucks, if you don't get them on line I think the only place I saw them was O'Reilly's.  Pat is one of the most knowledgeable people here when it comes to different kinds of pads,rotors and fluids. He has helped many of the people here with their brakes and seen most of the problems that come with working on Mini brakes. You might take him up on his offer if for any reason just to here a few of his great stories.

John

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/10 at 4:52am
Parts sources vary, but mostly I go to Moss Mini or Mini Mania.  For Jo's car (not driven at the track car, but she pushes it), I go for Brembo replacement rotors, Jurid (OEM) pads or a stock replacement, depending on price (Mintex, RBC).  It is interesting, as I don't go there all the time, but the NAPA sourced parts are pretty high quality, and while sometimes a bit more expensive than the online guys, cheaper after you count in shipping.  About 50% of the time when something breaks or somebody forgot something, NAPA doesn't have what I need right then.  They usually have it by the afternoon tho.  Good folk. 

Mini OEM parts aren't cost effective.  I don't know why they have to charge so much, but they do.  From my days as a dealer banker, I found that new car dealers only sell cars so they can service them.  Sales pays for sales staff, service and parts pay for the facility and owners.  That said, you might try O'Reilly's/Shucks or NAPA for the sensor, but I suspect a stop at the dealer will be required.  I get mine online.  We will have to flush the brakes as well, so all 4 wheels are coming off.  Overall, a couple of hours for the brakes.

Let me know.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
mikeprez View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeprez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/10 at 9:17am
Hi,
I have an '03 Cooper S notified me it needed an inspection.  (65K miles on the ODO).  
I made an apointment with Seattle Mini and took it in.  Expected a $600.00 bill.  They also notified me that my front shock towers were mushroomed and that I need new top mounts.  I also needed new lower control arm bushings and front brakes. 
I like to do my own work when possible so agreed to the other work.  I couldn't afford the 2K cost for the brakes, bushings and strut work.
I did some research and talked to JP at Seattle Mini service to get educated on the best course to fix the car. 
I did my own brakes.  I can help other members save over half the cost of standard brake replacement.
When you know what to look for it is easy to tell if the bushings are worn.  I personally think that BMW made a mistake using rubber liquid filled material for this busings. 
I decided to replace mine with PowerFlex Urethane bushings.  This is not easy to do at home because the suspension has to be partially disassembled.  Also since the struts had to be fixed it made sense to have Seattle Mini do the work.
They have installed the aftermarked bushings before so I purchased them and delivered the car for repair.

I am VERY happy with the result.  SOLID handling, no real change in road noise or vibration and I know I won't have to do it again.

BTW, I have a friend with a 2004 325 I and they have the exact same bushing problem.  In fact the front suspension is the same design but just beefier. 

Michael
I LOVE MINIS!!! My Other car is '71 Classic Mini
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>