Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Dealer Discussions > Warranty Issues and Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Extended Maintenance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Habanero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extended Maintenance
    Posted: January/20/10 at 9:16am
I can't believe Habanero will have his third birthday in a couple of weeks!!  Time to seriously look at the Extended Maintenance Program.

Officially the "MINI Maintenance Program Upgrade Agreement" from MINI/BMW for the R-55 and R-56 cars goes like so:
Extends maintenance they do in your MINI manual to 100,000 miles or 6 years.
Additionally covers specific wear items:
     brake pads & rotors
     clutch (Terry says only after 50,000 miles; it doesn't say that in contract)
     external belts
     wiper blades
     Roadside Assist (also verbal, not in writing)

The cost is $1795.

I doubt that Habanero would lose another clutch, but figure that by 6 years I'd go through at least one set of brakes, some oil changes, scopes, brake flush(es) and wiper blades totalling about $2200 at current NW MINI prices.

I'm not going to do my own maintenance.  It's a big chunk of money, but why not save $400 and buy the maintenance upgrade??  I'd hate to miss the obvious.  Opinions welcome!!

Mike & Ruth

'07 MCS, CR/B, NO sun roof, DSC, LSD, Premium, Leather, English Oak, chrome line interior, blingy thingies
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/10 at 1:30pm
I'm surprised nobody's replied to your post yet, but I'll chime in...

I know several people in the club that are on their 3rd set of brakes within 50k.  If you don't plan on performing a lot of the maintenance yourself, it doesn't seem like that bad of a deal.  I chose not to get the extended maintenance as I do my own oil/filter changes, wipers, etc. on my own.  I haven't had to replace my OEM brakes yet, but I'm sure they'll be due soon as I'm nearing 55,000 miles.  However, I'm confident that with the knowledge that's available here in this club, I'll be able to save a lot of money and do it myself.  Hopefully you'll get more feedback/opinions other than mine.
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
Jasper View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/10 at 10:44am
When I bought my MINI in 2007 I swear they quoted a lower price (around 1295) but I didn't get it in writing and my memory is bad...  

Did you try calling other dealers (not just Seattle and NW Mini)?  I read online others were able to leverage cheaper prices by getting dealers to bid for the warranty.  I've had some luck getting Seattle Mini to price match JCW parts from a NJ dealer so it might not be too far fetched about haggling over price.  

Personally I think the price is OK if your going to keep the car for an additional three years.  Technically your paying for an additional three years of servicing as the first three years is already covered by MINI.  

But in a few years you might be like me and have 2.5 kids, you'll have the sudden urge to upgrade to an SUV (Crossman) or worse...  A MINI-van 

Jasper

07 JCW Dark Grey with black top
Habanero View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Habanero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/10 at 9:51pm
Brenda/Jasper - thanks (as always) for the good comments!

I secretly admire the folks who do their own maintenance; the few times I've done it (like a bunch on my old Datsun 2000 autocross monster), it was both a lot of fun and a ton of down time, since I'm really slow at it.  Funny thing, as a retired guy, I can't do the down time; so no home repair.
Jasper - great suggestion.  Wish I'd thought of shopping around.  Since Habanero is through his 3rd year this Saturday, I bought the package this morning.  For me, it figures like the best option.

Some notes for y'all:

Heidi at NW MINI was very firm that the clutch is covered as clearly stated in the contract; no minimum 50,000 miles on a clutch before coverage kicks in.  She'll go over that with Terry.

Re the Roadside Coverage, Heidi says it's in all of BMW's contracts.  But it doesn't show in the MINI contract.  She thinks it was an oversight to omit it, so she's checking that with corporate.
Mike & Ruth

'07 MCS, CR/B, NO sun roof, DSC, LSD, Premium, Leather, English Oak, chrome line interior, blingy thingies
 Post Reply Post Reply