Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windshield

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windshield
    Posted: August/06/13 at 12:24pm

What kind of windshield  glass is the best again?  I'm to lazy to dig.

Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
Sixate View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/13 at 12:55pm
Clear!
07 MCSa Laser Blue w/ checkboards everywhere
Transmission 6 speeds...Gas pedal 1 speed....Full Speed Ahead!
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/13 at 1:39pm
MINI/BMW uses several OEM suppliers. Just make sure it's not the cheap Chinese glass someplaces use. Most MINI glass is made by Pilkington.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/13 at 1:54pm
My replacement windshield was Pilkington made in USA. Very happy/impressed with it.
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/13 at 4:17pm
Any thoughts on where is the best place to go for windshield replacement? I seem to recall some horror stories about the pillar clips all being broken - terrible job on the replacement, etc. I've been putting it off just because of that, but the crack is moving ahead on its journey, so a replacement is in my near future.
South Lake European View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote South Lake European Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/13 at 1:20pm
Rob,

Either Pilkington or PPG are good.   Make sure you used a good reputable installer...as equally important to the quality of the glass!   If you'd like a referral for an installer let me know (email me please).

Derek
Derek Simonsen
Owner-- South Lake European
205 Rainier Ave S
Renton, WA 98057
425-276-5668
www.southlakeeuropean.com
http://www.facebook.com/SouthLakeEuropean
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/13 at 1:23pm
Thanks Derek.  Anyone have any good luck with windshields in the north end?

Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

leogetz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leogetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/13 at 7:56pm
I'm in the same boat...need a new windshield would prefer north end but willing travel for quality.  SLE just sent you a PM for info on your recommended installers
GREYSEN - '12 Countryman S All4 - Royal Grey w/ Black Roof, Stripes and Trim (no chrome) - Premium, Cold Weather & Sport Pkgs - NM Eng RSe14 Wheels - JCW Exhaust - LED Fog Lights
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/13 at 12:10am
I have Pilkington installed by Cascade Auto Glass, after a nightmare experience with Safelite Auto Glass. 
Happy with their work. They call my phone a couple times a year probably trying to sell me something I don't want. I let it go to voicemail and they never leave a message. 
CosmicTraveler View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/13 at 9:56am
I seem to recall peeps driving down to Portland for this job, and just like Genie I have been putting it off as well.  No need to give the big rigs on MVH a new target.
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/13 at 10:09am
Cascade came by and did a perfect install of a Pilkington windshield.  On time and clean.  He was VERY careful around my painted bits. 

I talked to the guy and he was the one that did both of Jacks windshields and Kurts as well.  Said he had done over 100 Minis. 
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/13 at 2:17pm
Rob,  That's great news! Any chance you have the guy's name? THX
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/13 at 6:13pm
Don't recall but, I think they give him all of the MINI's.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

leogetz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leogetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/13 at 6:20pm
By way of a recommendation from South Lake European, I just had my windshield replaced by Eastside Mobile Auto Glass in Issaquah. They offer both mobile and in shop windshield repair.

The owner, Dick and I had a good chat and he explained to me how he & his team of techs ensure they don't damage the delicate MINI clips an other plastic trim pieces. Also, they use Pilkington and PPG brand glass.

I had a great experience and got great service

GREYSEN - '12 Countryman S All4 - Royal Grey w/ Black Roof, Stripes and Trim (no chrome) - Premium, Cold Weather & Sport Pkgs - NM Eng RSe14 Wheels - JCW Exhaust - LED Fog Lights
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/13 at 8:37pm
Good to know!  Thanks.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
CosmicTraveler View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/14 at 6:00am
Two more thumbs up for Eastside Mobile Auto Glass in Issaquah.  Not only was the windshield replaced w/ a Pilkington at a fair price, without damaging anything, they also vacuumed all the pine needles off the floor mats while cleaning up after themselves.  I didn't even need to go into the store.  Dick met me as I was getting out of the car.
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
 Post Reply Post Reply