Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Events > PSMINI Events and Drives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PSMINI Takes the Tulip Rallye - Event Date: April/19/14

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leogetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: PSMINI Takes the Tulip Rallye
    Posted: March/29/14 at 9:59am
MG Car Club NW Invites PSMINI to the 33rd Annual Tulip Rallye

When: Saturday, April 19th
• Meet at Smokey Point Rest Area 745am
• Brief drivers meeting 800am
• Motor north 815am
• Arrive to rallye starting point 845am

Where: The Tulip Rallye takes place in the Skagit Valley. PSMINI starts at the Smokey Point Rest Area (see specific instructions below).

Registration: Pre-Registrations should be in by April 14th. But you can register for the rally the day-of the event. Be sure to specify “PSMINI” on your registration form.

Cost: $12 per car pre-registration / $15 per car day-of registration. Registration form can be found here.

Previous Year Info:2013 - 2012 - 2011

Start: PSMINI gathers at the Smokey Point Rest Area off I-5 N about 1 mile after exit #206. Meet on the truck parking side. When you exit I-5 at the rest stop take the left towards the truck parking. Using the truck side of the rest stop provides much more room to park and gather.

End: This is a trivia type rally so the endpoint will not be revealed until the completion of the event.

Details: For the last 32 years our friends at the MG Car Club Northwest Centre have hosted the Tulip Rallye, which is an automobile tour and trivia type rally (they call it a gimmick rallye) of the Skagit Valley region of Western Washington. PSMINI does this event in two parts:

Part one: We will all gather together and make our way as a club to the starting point. Since this is an early start time, a limited amount of Frost Doughnuts & Coffee will be available on a first come, first served basis. After a sugar/caffeine high & short drivers meeting we will motor north as a group to the starting point of the Tulip Rallye. Our route will take us north on I-5 to a re-group point at the Burlington Mall entrance near Sears. Once regrouped, we will enter the starting point together. This is a sight to see as all PSMINI participants arrive into the Tulip Rallye as one long MINI caravan!

Part two: Each MINI will compete in the Tulip Rallye individually. Total score is determined from a combination of time, mileage, and correct answers to the route questions. These questions will be in riddle format so you have to really look around you the entire way, as well as trivia questions on general knowledge. There will be different route sheets so please do not follow anyone as they may have a different route than you! At the end point, raffle prizes are awarded to individuals. Trophies will be presented to the top cars within each club. Let’s show the other car clubs what it means to be MINI! If you are competing in the rally please pre-register using this form.

This is always a well-attended event by several area car clubs, so come join us for some fun and beautiful scenery of the Skagit Valley and its tulips. It’s called the Tulip Rallye for a reason.

What to Bring:
o A navigator! It is very hard to do the rallye alone as there are very detailed driving instructions to find your way along your designated route. There are also questions to answer along the way and we don’t really want drivers taking their eyes off the road too long 
o FRS Radio (if you have one) set to channel 7 sub-channel 21. Come early if you need help setting your radio. We will use the radios to help coordinate motoring as a group up to the start of the Tulip Rallye.
o Your picnic lunch. It is recommended that you pack your own lunch and enjoy it along the way while completing the challenge or at the end of the event while scores are being tabulated.
o A canned food item, many canned food items, or cash donations. MGCCNWC will be collecting donations for a local food bank at the event. You can drop your items off at the registration desk at the start point of the Tulip Rallye.
o Your sense of adventure! Remember this is a trivia style rally so keep a sharp eye and a sense of humor. Those having the most fun generally score the most points and those running the route the fastest don’t do as well. Having fun > speed during this competition.
o Your registration form and $15 entry fee if you did not pre-register and pay.

More information: Visit the MGCCNWC Website

Hotel Info: If you traveling in from out of town, MGCCNWC recommends the Holiday Inn Express in Burlington (360-755-7338) or the Marina Inn in Anacortes (360) 293-3545.

Rally Masters: Special thanks to Jack (CINIMIN) and Linda (WOODSTOCK) for leading the PSMINI motor to the start. The Tulip Rallye itself is organized by MGCCNWC.

Remember: You should pre-register for this event and send that registration to MGCCNWC pre-register using this form. Starting order is based upon your registration number so don’t delay! Meet us at the Smokey Point rest stop and we’ll arrive together as a club.

Please use this thread to let us know you will be participating and joining us for the drive up. If you are coming from points south, west, east, or north and would like to meet-up with others headed towards the Smokey Point rest area this is the right place to discuss that as well.

Registered and ready to motor in Skagit Valley (updated 4/18)
leogetz
CINIMIN & WOODSTOCK
shasti212
MicheleG74
Wildfamily
SueBoone (and K-9 companions)
Valvashon (definite maybe)
BurnerS
SAMSON
GenieB
ipeverywhere (in a rented Ford Taurus)
Kirby11
JulzMni
Ruszmni
NAVIGTR
ginainbelltown
G415
rachelle
Goldie Locks
corinmcblide

Plus a few RSVPs via Facebook

Edited by ipeverywhere - April/20/14 at 4:11pm
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/14 at 9:28pm
I am registered and paid and meetin up in Smokey Point!
R.I.P.: "Zippy"-Hyper Blue Metallic/White 2005 R50."MINI-ME" plates. Side wing decals.

"Luna" - White Silver 2014 Roadster S. "RDSTER" plates.

"Aura" - Space Blue/Silver 2006 Cooper S.
SodaJeff View Drop Down
PSMINI Moderator
PSMINI Moderator
PSMINI Events Director

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SodaJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/14 at 11:59am
Our registration will hit the mailbox tomorrow!
I've done this a number of times with other clubs.  Fun event for sure!
Fingers crossed for sun and tulips!
Jeff & Shari
Olive: Black '12 MINI Coupe'S
JCW Engine Tuning - JCW Airbox - JCW Exhaust - JCW Strut-Tower Brace - Rear Sway Bar - Lighter Wheels & Mich Pilot Sports - Stubby Ant - Interior Bits
MicheleG74 View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MicheleG74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/14 at 6:33pm
We will be there! This will be our first Tulip Rallye.  We are trying to decide who will be the best navigator.  Smile
Michele & Kevin
"Enzo": 2007 R56 S ~ Dark Silver Metallic ~ JCW Exhaust / Strut Brace / Tuning / Carbon Fiber Upgrades
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/14 at 7:53am
registration sent and looking forward to this as usual. hopeing for sun so we can drive the classic!
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
HotChocolate View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HotChocolate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/14 at 10:10am
We're in. Anyone mind if the dogs tag along, too?
THEO: 2011 S Convertible Hot Chocolate
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/14 at 1:26pm
Dogs are welcome. Just don't let it pee on any MINI wheels. :)
'80 Mini English White
HotChocolate View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HotChocolate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/14 at 1:38pm
Of course they won't pee on the MINIs! All other cars are fair game though. Wink
THEO: 2011 S Convertible Hot Chocolate
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/14 at 4:21pm
All other cars are fair game . . . that sounds right. We love dogs . . .  bring 'em!
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/14 at 9:22am
Friday night Stacie's clutch died in the driveway (what I'm likely hearing is throwout bearing noise) so I scratched her car off the the Tulip Rallye registration and mailed it in indicating we'd use my car.  Saturday, my clutch died a violent, pedal to the floor and screeching noises death at the little shopping center near our house.  

Hopefully Kurt and I can put one of them back together in working order before the Tulip Rallye but a heads up we might need to borrow a car or have somebody pick up my shirt at registration.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/14 at 11:17am
Bruce - KEMOSABE is available !
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Pawsome View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pawsome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/14 at 1:21pm
Sounds like fun. I keep telling myself "next year" and this 19th, I have a full day of class. So, next year Ermm. Have fun everyone.
zeldaex View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeldaex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/14 at 3:35pm
I registered way back in February.  How come I am not on your "registered" list?
zeldaex
leogetz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leogetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/14 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by zeldaex zeldaex wrote:

I registered way back in February.  How come I am not on your "registered" list?

Hi, the attendees list in the original post denotes only those who have said they'd attend the pre-rallye drive to the Cascade Mall. If you'd like to confirm your registration for the Tulip Rallye itself, you'd need to contact the organizers at MG Car Club NW http://www.mgccnwc.com/
GREYSEN - '12 Countryman S All4 - Royal Grey w/ Black Roof, Stripes and Trim (no chrome) - Premium, Cold Weather & Sport Pkgs - NM Eng RSe14 Wheels - JCW Exhaust - LED Fog Lights
SodaJeff View Drop Down
PSMINI Moderator
PSMINI Moderator
PSMINI Events Director

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SodaJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/14 at 11:03am
EASTER FAIL!  Totally missed that this is the day before Easter.  
We've got a bunch of other plans that weekend - Sadly Shari & I will miss it.
Hopefully next year :-)
Jeff & Shari
Olive: Black '12 MINI Coupe'S
JCW Engine Tuning - JCW Airbox - JCW Exhaust - JCW Strut-Tower Brace - Rear Sway Bar - Lighter Wheels & Mich Pilot Sports - Stubby Ant - Interior Bits
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/14 at 11:26am
I will be there.... meet ya'll at Smokey Point
New 2013 Clubby S - JCW Engine tune - JCW Brake Kit - JCW Exhaust - JCW Cold Air Intake - Lowered - Racing Wheels
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/14 at 12:45pm
That's generous of you Jack- Napoleon II is checking into Kurt's MINI Hospital today and I will be helping him work on it Thursday and Friday.  We'll let you know!

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
SAMSON View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Past Secretary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAMSON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/14 at 10:34pm
Rushbys to the 3rd power are in...
NEBULA - 2016 Countryman S ALL4 Cosmic Blue/Black
SAMSON - 2011 Cooper S - Eclipse Grey/Black (retired)
LOLA CHOLULA - 2010 Cooper - Chili Red/White (retired)

Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/14 at 12:16pm
I'm in, barring unforeseen UGLY weather that may keep me from tip-toeing through the Tulips! Wink
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/14 at 10:12pm
Gettin stoked!!

This being my 4th Tulip Rallye, I highly encourage you all to join. It's a complete BLAST! Plus the tulips are now out in full force!

My official prediction is nice weather. Beautiful drives and fun trivia this event is not to be missed.
R.I.P.: "Zippy"-Hyper Blue Metallic/White 2005 R50."MINI-ME" plates. Side wing decals.

"Luna" - White Silver 2014 Roadster S. "RDSTER" plates.

"Aura" - Space Blue/Silver 2006 Cooper S.
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/14 at 11:17pm
Registration is in! Now, what MINI to take? Hmmmmmmmmmmm
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/14 at 7:22am
GP duh.
'80 Mini English White
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/14 at 10:23am
It's those little decisions in life that are sometimes the hardest - how about tossing a coin. Tongue
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/14 at 10:56am
First world problem for sure.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
Kirby11 View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/14 at 9:41pm
Oy. I procrastinated too long to get in on pre-registration but I'm in and planning to meet at Smokey Point. Smile
2011 LB/W MCS "PINTSZE" (*SOLD*)
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/14 at 8:45pm
Some Notes On Participating In The Tulip Rally:

THINGS TO BRING

A clipboard to keep the instructions on and to allow the Navigator to write the answers to the questions.

Good writing implements - several pencils or a good pen or marker.

A Navigator to read the instructions to the driver and to write the answers with a good writing implement  on the instruction sheets clipped to the clipboard.

Most people bring snacks for during the rally and a lunch or more snacks to have at the end of the rally while everyone is waiting for the scores to be tallied.  There is always at least one Rest Stop built into the rally instructions.  You may also want to bring bottle water or soft drinks -  

For our events the club uses FRS radios tuned to channel 7-21.  (In the spirit of friendly competition it is requested that the radios NOT be used to communicate information about the clues or the answers to the trivia questions.  It is also considered very poor form (cheating) to use cell phones or tablets to get answers to the trivia questions.  You are competing against only the other MINIs in the rally.  Be fair to your fellow MINIites.

CAMERAS.  There will be photo ops - but you won't be able to spend too much time taking pictures - especially in the Tulip Field area.

Umbrellas and rain gear...  And hope we don't need them.  Sunscreen and Hats - and hope we do need them.  

Linda and I (CINIMIN AND WOODSTOCK) will be leading the convoy from Smokey Point to the pre-staging area on the back side of the Cascade Mall.  

Departure form Smokey Point will be promptly at 8:15. <<<  note time change

In recognition of her service and many contributions to the club, Ashley (shasti212) Will lead the MINI GRAND ENTRANCE to the Main Rally Registration area where everyone will pick up their rally packets or take care of registering if not pre-registered. 

Please take care of your registration promptly and attend the Drivers Meeting.  (If the drivers meeting starts before you have your registration packet, one person should get in line for registration, the other should attend the drivers meeting) Instructions will be gone over at the Drivers Meeting and there may be route changes or special information. 

Queue up in car number order and you will receive the route instructions after you sign the release form at the departure point.  Set your trip odometer to zero at the departure point and record the departure time.  One hint - the first question could very well be something very close to the departure point - read the first few instructions very carefully as you leave the area.  

You have AMPLE TIME to complete the route.  You never have to drive faster than the posted speed limits to complete the rally in time no matter how lost you get .  This is not a speed event but rather an opportunity to enjoy a nice drive thru some beautiful country.  <FONT color=#ff0000>Be extremely cautious of bicycles and inattentive pedestrians, especially near the tulip fields.[/COLOR]

PLEASE Don't forget to bring a canned food donation for the local food bank. Dropoff at the Rally Registration tables at Cascade Mall...

If necessary, remind your self frequently that you are doing this to have fun.

For those new to traveling in a multiple car convoy:
Please be courteous and allow cars to merge when they are entering from an on ramp or when they need to get into the exit lane.  It doesn't matter if a few foreigners get in our line of MINIs - we will regroup and all be together when we get to the mall.

*updated Smokey Point departure time* -leogetz

Edited by CINIMIN - April/13/14 at 9:38am
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

JulzMni View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulzMni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/14 at 8:00am
Not pre-registered but will be attending this event! See you in Smokey Point!
Julie Sterling
Stanwood, WA
2013 Roadster "Ruby"

https://www.facebook.com/julz.mni
Guests View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/14 at 8:17am
Not registered but Greycie will be making her official debut! See you Saturday
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/14 at 9:11am
As a reminder, we backed up the start from Smokey Point this year to make sure you had time to register at the event. We should arrive at registration with time to register and get to the drivers meeting this year.

So, even if you have not registered yet, please join us. We'll be leaving Smokey Point promptly at 8:15. If you can't make Smokey Point please go directly to the start of the Tulip Rally and register. We'll see you at the drivers meeting.

Should be great weather and actual tulips! Really will be memorable so come on out and join your fellow MINIacs!
NAVIGTR View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAVIGTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/14 at 8:45am
Fill up your gas tank and I'll see you there!
Dave Chrisman
NAVIGTR '13 Chili Red HT, Dave Chrisman can be spotted in Everett
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>