Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > How To Do It
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Struts & Shocks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emunson01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Struts & Shocks
    Posted: April/04/14 at 3:06pm
Hi All,

So I need to replace my struts & shocks, i think, on my 2004 Mini Cooper S but I have no idea what parts or possibly tools I need to buy. I don't want to take it to a Mini Dealership to have it done for two reasons, 1. They are to expensive, 2. My boyfriend can do this himself, but this car has been needy as far as special tools needed to work on it so I have no idea what he will be getting himself into. I tried asking for advice from a Mini Dealership but all they would do is charge me to bring the car in to have it diagnosed. My car bounces a lot & is a bit of a rough ride especially when I find any potholes in the road. Also, last year I was told my two back tires are wearing faster on the inside tread of the tire closest to the underside of the car. They told me I needed to replace my struts & shocks but I have been reading about other possible items needing to be replaced too but I am not sure if they are necessary. Can someone please provide me with some knowledge into what else I might need to replace & also what we can expect as far as special tools needed to get this job done?

Thanks!

Elise
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/14 at 7:34pm
Use a Bentley Manual, well worth the cost of it.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
KnottyMan View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnottyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/14 at 12:25am
Mileage?

I had CORNERS do my swap, quick and easy, he knows what he's doing.  No special tools other than impact air tools (for the quickness).  The H&R's I went with are adjustable so there's a tool for that.  Having a long extension to get at the rear upper mount is a good thing.
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/14 at 7:22pm
What Knotty said, no special tools, all standard sockets/wrenches. An impact/air gun does help with expediency, especially when trying to undo the strut top nut. Spring compressors as well, but you can rent those. 

Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/14 at 9:28pm
Remember the cargo wrench straps, very handy.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/14 at 4:46pm
I have been known to help out other club members with diagnosis and repair of MINIs. Let me know if you have any more questions or if I can be of any help. 

Here's my video for how to do this job on any 2002-2006 MINI Cooper S or non S. I installed H&R coilovers on this day but the process for removing/installing from the car and taking apart the stock struts is the same no matter what you're replacing them with. 

I have a bunch of other MINI repair videos - check out my channel if interested.

Edited by CORNERS - April/12/14 at 4:50pm
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/14 at 6:00pm
Nice video Kurt!  The procedure is about the same for the R56 although the rear trailing arms look a bit different.

Crusoe View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crusoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/14 at 7:12pm
I just got ST coilovers to replace the stock and wondering how much labor is involved in the swap.
I may just take them to Zahntech (way out of the way) or use Pacific Rim near my work if it's not labor intensive (or open to shop recommendations in N Seattle or Fremont area).

Also, I wasn't kind on my stock shocks but was expecting more than ~75k miles out them. What's the norm wearout on them?

2006 PW/PW MC w/JCW Sound Kit #567 & Cylinder Head, S Sway Bar
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/14 at 7:15pm
Crusoe:

Watch Corners video.

Crusoe View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crusoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/14 at 8:56pm
So 34:49 LOL. I watched it and it seems like a shop would charge for ~3 hours. I got a little motion sickness from Kurt's mad nunchuck skills. Great instruction though.

Edited by Crusoe - April/15/14 at 8:59pm
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/14 at 10:07pm
Hi - the total work time should be around 3-4 hours. Sorry for the motion sickness- however I've determined this is the best way to record the action and having two hands free to do the actual work - instead of other Youtube videos where they talk a lot but can't actually show you how to do it because they have only one hand free or their head is in the way of the camera. 

By the way - most Gen 1 MINIs are riding pretty rough by 75K miles. Stock shocks are pretty bad. 

Edited by CORNERS - April/24/14 at 5:52pm
Crusoe View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crusoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/14 at 3:50pm
Both shops I talked to are quoting 5 hours ~$500 + tax. 

Anyone interested in helping with the swap? I'll do the dirty work if needed else can pay or barter. BowDown
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/14 at 4:17pm
That's pretty dear. PM me and we can set something up.
Crusoe View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crusoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/14 at 4:04pm
Kudos to Corners. New shocks in easily less than 3 hours. We set at stock height with the probability of the springs compressing a smidge. My OEMs were pretty shot, we intentional hit some bumps and they're ultra smooth but felt good on the curves. BowDown Big thanks again! ST coilover kit was $850 delivered and probably real close to a stock feel (though I don't remember what stock should be) with the ability to lower.

Edited by Crusoe - May/12/14 at 4:09pm
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/14 at 5:56pm
Agreed. ST coilovers have a good comfortable ride quality with the added benefit of being able to adjust the height. This would be a great option for someone who wants a like-new ride quality but doesn't want to vibrate out their teeth fillings. 

This kit feels a bit softer than the H&R street coilovers. 

Post Reply Post Reply