Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15" wheels and wilwood BBK??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willcoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15" wheels and wilwood BBK??
    Posted: August/19/14 at 4:12pm
Has anyone found a 15" wheel that will clear a wilwood BBK kit? I think Corners might be the only one that has had one from what I have seen on here. 

I bought my car with a wilwood 11.75" BBK installed and 18" wheels. I would really like to go down to 15" wheels so that I can get more sidewall and have a smoother ride. I have been looking on the other forums and have seen claims that certain 15" wheel fit and claims that they do not fit. 

Does anyone have a spare 15" wheel laying around that I could test fit onto my car?

Thanks in advance
2006 JCW Checkmate-Wilwood big brake kit-Chrono package-H&R sport springs-H sport adjustable camber links
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/14 at 5:03pm
I don't think any 15 inch wheel will fit over a BBK. 16 inches will be doable for many wheels. 

Have you considered going back to stock brakes?
You could probably pick up brand new replacement calipers, rotors and pads for easily under $500. 
Amazon has remanufactured calipers for  $100 each side, rotors for $25 each, a box of pads start a low as $20. Budget another $70 or so for other hardware bits such as brake lines and wear sensor. 

Calipers

Rotors

Willcoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willcoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/14 at 5:29pm
Team Dynamic pro race 1 wheels fit over the 11.75" kit but they no longer make them and nobody can confirm that the pro race 1.2 will fit. 15x7 +40 rota slipstreams are claimed to fit by a few different people, some say a 5mm spacer is needed and some don't though. 15" kosei wheels are also supposed to fit. 

I have thought about just going to 16s but I want to try to stay with 15s if I can actually confirm something fits. 

Side note: I found all of your how to videos on youtube and they are great. I watched  the how to replace the crank position sensor o ring before I replaced mine.
2006 JCW Checkmate-Wilwood big brake kit-Chrono package-H&R sport springs-H sport adjustable camber links
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/14 at 7:41am
I have a couple sets of Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 wheels if you want to test fit them sometime.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/14 at 4:12pm

These are my 1.2's on the JCW/Brembo BBK,  I will go take a close up of the wheel and the clearance.  These are 17", good luck with 15".

Edited by SMOG - August/20/14 at 4:30pm
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/14 at 8:14am
You sure you've heard that you can fit 15" with a BBK?  I remember reading somewhere that the stock brakes require a 15" wheel for clearance.  Seems like a 16 would be the min. with a BBK.
'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
Beakerzor View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beakerzor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/14 at 10:40am
what is that awesome jack/table your MINI is on?
Willcoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willcoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/14 at 9:05pm
Here are some pictures off of northamericanmotoring showing wilwood brakes fitting under 15" wheels and a thread listing a few wheels that fit. http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/tires-wheels-and-brakes/80464-what-15-whl-trs-will-fit-over-11-75-wilwoods.html

https://flic.kr/p/4eD25T

http://s153.photobucket.com/user/mvalant/media/tsw/brake_history/008.jpg.html

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/14 at 2:20pm
Willcoop, So how big are those rotors?   The term "Big" Brake Kit is rather ambiguous.  I had larger brakes some some of the trucks I drove so numbers associated with the brakes would be of help.  If they are the 11.75" as listed on NAM then why not get what is listed on NAM?  I know that not all 17" wheels will fit my Brembo/JCW BBK

Beakerzor, it is an EZLIFT.  http://www.ezcarlift.com/

Edited by SMOG - August/24/14 at 2:22pm
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Willcoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willcoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/14 at 2:26pm
In my original post I said that I have the 11.75" wilwood bbk with 11.75" being the size of the rotors. I wanted to see if anyone local had 15" wheels with wilwood brakes before I followed what was posted on NAM. The reason most wheels don't fit wilwood or Brembo/JCW brakes isn't the diameter of the wheel but the offset of the wheel and clearance of the caliper.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/14 at 5:36pm
Thanks for the clarification.  I think what you just stated about offset and diameter would apply to Wilwood too.
 Post Reply Post Reply