Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winter tires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tterbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter tires
    Posted: November/12/14 at 5:26pm
Experts-

I want some winter tires, but am not sure if I should just fit some different sized tires on my mini rims and then swap them out in the spring, or if I should just buy some cheap 16 inch rims and have good winter tires on them and then swap those in the spring. Is less expensive to swap the entire rim than to swap the tires on to the rims.
I have 205/55/17 (2014 countryman S All4)
I can't find many good winter tires that match the mini stock size, so I am leaning towards the 16 inch route and that open lots of doors for more aggressive winter tires.

Who has winter tires?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance and happy motoring.
Brett
racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/14 at 7:49am
If you have storage, a second set of wheels and tires is the easiest and in the long run, and cheapest route.  You'd be paying around $50 every time you swap back and forth.   Plus, you don't have to worry about the winter ruining your summer wheels.

Avoid studded tires, they are not necessary, they make your traction worse in all conditions except ice, and they destroy the roads.  
Tirerack test results of various studless winter tires:
Performance Winter tires - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=181
Aggressive Winter tires - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=193
Other winter tire tests - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testSearch.jsp

I only have experience with Blizzaks and I love them.  Too bad your Countryman has 5 lug wheels, else I have an extra set of 16" Cooper I'd get rid of for cheap :)

'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/14 at 7:52am
Agree, if you can swing it just get a second set of rims and mount some winter tires on those. Keeps your nice wheels looking good for longer and you don't have to pay to swap out every year. I'd just look on Craigslist and find a set of OEM wheels that someone is getting rid of and pick those up for a good price and throw on some good winter tires.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
tterbo View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tterbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/14 at 7:55am
Ok, thanks. I will let you know what the fit ends up being. Thanks for the feedback.

Brett
craigsmiller View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigsmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/14 at 12:13pm
Extra set of wheels fitted with Blizzacks makes winter driving safer than summer ... especially if you drive the way I do during the summer.  Discount Tires offers great prices and fantastic service.
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/14 at 12:35pm
Another vote for a second set of wheels. That way you can run performance tires in the summer and snows in the winter. It also allows you to swap them easily. If there is a streak of nice weather in the spring, you can swap to your summer tires without worrying about a change in the weather. If it gets crappy again you can swap them back. You can save the winter tires for when you need them.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/14 at 1:47pm
Yet another vote for the second set.  Why rebalance and run the risk of messing up the tire sensors every time you dismount?

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
tterbo View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tterbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/14 at 4:31pm
I couldn't swing getting new wheels and tires. I got new blizzaks WS80's 225/50/17's which are a little bigger than the stock tires. Went up to Crystal Saturday and the roads where not really plowed. I cruised right on up to the lodge with no issues. Drove around highways today and road noise not noticably more than the stock pirelli's which was a concern I had.
Going to give them a shot on the beach at Lond Beach this weekend, I think they should be great for sand also. We shall see.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/14 at 1:38am
Two sets of wheels and tires.

You'll extend life of your tires and have the optimum traction. Also, winter tires would wear more quickly in the summer (they are too soft), and all season tires are sort of like a swiss army knife - they work in most every situation but you probably don't want to be eating meals with that little folding fork all the time... 
hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/14 at 7:26am
+1 for a second set.  I use my heavy stock wheels for Blizzaks, and got some lighter wheels for summer tires.  The lighter wheels translate to hp gain.  There is a website called wheelweights.net where you can see the weight of the wheels you are considering.
Mitch & Teri
<font color=BLUE>2006 Cooper Checkmate[/COLOR]
<font color=RED>2013 JCW Countryman[/COLOR]
Raster-Vector View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raster-Vector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/14 at 6:01pm
I just posted this topic in case anyone needs a set of snow tires with wheels.

http://www.psmini.org/forum/topic11801_post124008.html#124008

Michael & Carol

2014 Countryman S Black Knight edition in matte black
SOLD - 2005 MCS Pure Silver
KnottyMan View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnottyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/14 at 9:31pm
Got some OEM 16" off a Clubman from NAM years ago and now I finally broke down today and got some Blizzaks for my winter set.  We've been using the Pathfinder to get up our ice sheet of a hill and wouldn't you know it, today the county sanded it.  Gah!  Wanted to try out Charlie's new shoes!

Discount Tire on 44th in Lynnwood, good shop.
 Post Reply Post Reply