Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dog Carriers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dog Carriers
    Posted: March/01/15 at 4:47pm
How large a Dog Carrier, Airlines Approved, will fit into an R-56?
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Rob and Terri View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rob and Terri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/15 at 5:47pm

S,

How large is the dog?  FAA requirement is that the critter be able to stand upright and turn around in the carrier for it to be acceptable.  Got rejected once because our critter fit but didn't have the mobility.  The only immediately available replacement was at the airlines freight office ($$$$!).  Determine the size needed, cut a cardboard template of the bottom and the end for a trial fit then buy or borrow one of that dimension.  Or, follow the Chevy Chase method and strap the carrier to the top of the car!  Worked for Mit Romney too.. or did it? 

Happy trails!

Edited by Rob and Terri - March/01/15 at 5:52pm
2017 Clubman S All4- Moonwalk grey w/pearl int. (Moonshadow). Previous MINIs: 2014 All Black F56 Justa . 2013 S Hardtop, 'KERMINI' - BRG/BRG w/Beige interior
Redstarkid View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redstarkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/15 at 12:28am
Do you need Your back seats? Your dog's ability to move around will be the biggest criteria for meeting the FAA standards, like Rob and Terri said. Also it generally needs to be a design that cannot easily come apart. As for fitting it the MINI, I was able to comfortably travel with a small to medium sized dog in her kennel that is roughly 25"Lx16"WX15"H with the real seats down with room for luggage (hard shell roller bags), and another unkenneled dog lounging luxuriously on a blanket on the actual boot floor. Mind you I have an r53, so our interior dimensions may be a little different, though you may have more room than me if I'm not mistaken.
Pippa-'04 Mini Cooper S in Pure Silver. Featuring an Alta 2.0 15% reduction Pully and 2% overdrive ATI Super Damper. Madness rear sway, Koni shocks, NGK plugs and wires, and polyurethane everything.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/15 at 4:00pm
Thanks for the input.  Horrors having to buy a carrier at the airport!!!Shocked

Well, now it is going to be a puppy to start with but grow to maybe 75 pounds.  Height, who knows what it will turn out to be since I am trying for a short/small female German Shepherd.

Flying with the dog is not what I would be doing but the airline capable carriers seem to be the strongest.

Crate training for car travel could have benefit as a puppy but maybe not so much as an adult dog.  As an adult dog restraining the dog in the back 1/2 of the MINI should be easy and it would have plenty of room.  I just want to get the pup familiar with the car and hopefully not be perpetually sick, so that is the goal for the carrier.  The back seats are coming out soon!!  Replaced with a flat, non-skid surface.

The carrier for large dogs measure about 27" tall but I am not sure I really need it for puppy training and hopefully I can ditch the carrier when she graduates to adulthoodTongue

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/15 at 4:43pm

We had a wonderful German Shepherd from puppy to 11 years old, when sadly she passed on. Fabulous dog! We loved her! Since then we've had many other types of dogs, but I still think about getting another Shepherd.

Congratulations!  WooHoo

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/15 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Genie B Genie B wrote:

We had a wonderful German Shepherd from puppy to 11 years old, when sadly she passed on. Fabulous dog! We loved her! Since then we've had many other types of dogs, but I still think about getting another Shepherd.

Congratulations!  WooHoo

I was amazed when I raised a pup for the first time, the intelligence and desire to please was astounding! 

It has been 20 years since I had a dog (s) but this was my last pair.  The big guy wondering why the little female was there took the experience in stride, surprisingly, and was a positive influence on the pup.

We are finally getting a fenced yard so we can start over, but with just one puppy.

Redstarkid View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redstarkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/15 at 8:19pm
^Beautiful pups.
My family has also raised some beautiful GSDs. Wonderful animals. Good luck.
Pippa-'04 Mini Cooper S in Pure Silver. Featuring an Alta 2.0 15% reduction Pully and 2% overdrive ATI Super Damper. Madness rear sway, Koni shocks, NGK plugs and wires, and polyurethane everything.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/15 at 8:24pm
Thanks!
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/15 at 9:16am

I agree, beautiful dogs!  I bet you will really enjoy the new one!

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/15 at 8:04pm
We hope all will be as planned but since I am doing everything in reverse it will be a challenge.

Puppy when we are old.  Indoor dog with outdoor capabilities as opposed to outdoor dog with indoor capabilities; a bit more trying for the owners Big smile  Smaller vehicles in which to transport the pooch; maybe do a rear seat delete mod?

Any suggestions????
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/15 at 10:18am

I'm sure the dog will adapt to being an indoor dog, especially from the puppy age. Probably the most important thing is to make sure you take him/her for walks . . . great for the owners too. And, our neighbor spends time every day with one of those devices that you use to throw a ball across the yard (instead of ruining your pitching arm!) and his Chocolate Lab loves the exercise.

There are also probably food formulas for indoor dogs that aren't getting as much exercise.

I think it will all work out great for you and your new best friend! Tongue

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/15 at 2:25pm
Yes, age and activity level sure plays a big part in the feed.  No need to have to put the beast on Weight Watchers Smile

Making me more active is a big goal so if we both are on the appropriate diets we both will benefit, hopefully!!!
Kirby11 View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kirby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/15 at 6:24pm
Congrats on entering dog ownership again! Your GSDs were beautiful. I've always admired GSDs and hope to have one some day. They're amazing.

Instead, I got a lab puppy a little while back. When I first got him a friend loaned me an airline crate that fits in the R56 perfectly with one seat folded down. The pup fit in there until he was about 4 months old/40 lbs (his dad is 90lbs so he's a big boy). Once he was too big for the crate I put both seats down and put in the cargo liner and a blanket, and added a tether line of coated wire and carabiners (home depot project) so he doesn't jump in the front.  The first time he rode in the back outside of the crate he was unsure about the floor vibrations but now he sleeps like a baby when we're on the road.

I don't have the crate anymore but I've asked my friend for the measurements. There are usually crates on craigslist for cheap so even if you only use it for a short time it might be worth it.

2011 LB/W MCS "PINTSZE" (*SOLD*)
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/15 at 3:55am
Stephanie, thanks for the photo of the happy pup in the carrier and the one seat folded idea!  I suspect it kept the carrier from sliding around.

Does that MINI Cargo Liner stay put?  I have never seen one attached to a vehicle and wonder how it attaches.

90lb Lab, wow!
Kirby11 View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/15 at 8:20am
Yep the crate was nice and secure. It was approx 20"x27". I'm 5'7" and didn't have do adjust my seat to fit it behind me.

The liner isn't as smooth as in their marketing pictures, but even though it gets a little bunched up on the sides it still protects the floor and catches all the sand and grit.  That's why I prefer it to just using a blanket back there.  It has a lot of attachment points to keep it in place. From front to back: it hooks to the front seat headrest posts, there's a strap underneath that loops around the folded down seats, there are suction cups to secure the sides to the windows (this is the least reliable spot on mine) and a couple more straps attach at the rear.  It also has a flap at the back that folds down to protect the bumper when loading/unloading, and then folds upward and zips to the sides so the whole liner is like a box without a top.

I'm happy to help with questions about MINIs and puppies. It's all fresh in my memory!
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/15 at 9:26am
Steph,  what a Great-looking Pup you have!
Kirby11 View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/15 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Genie B Genie B wrote:

Steph,  what a Great-looking Pup you have!

Aw thanks! That's Oscar, my new co-pilot.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/15 at 8:22am
Thanks for the explanation about the cargo mat attachment.  I have tinted windows (aftermarket) so that might mess with the attachment AND the window tint, bummer...  Maybe make some attachment points on the plastic window trim, or maybe just forget the cargo liner completely and us a large custom cut rubber mat.  Something like a horse stall mat, which I realize will not contain liquids but it is none skid for anything including puppy, warm, and even will deaden sound.  Adding the "Favorite blanket", like Oscar's, would make it even more comfortable for the pup.

Thanks for all the tips folksSmile

Kirby11 View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/15 at 8:09pm
I have tinted windows too. The suction cups aren't too strong so no problems with it other than nose prints. Lots and lots of nose prints. LOL
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/15 at 4:19am
Yes, the inevitable nose prints :-(  the only down side of the canine in the car, but I have mentally prepared myself.Ying Yang

Aside from Oscar's nose leaving prints everywhere has he eaten a suction cup yet??

Another thing I will have to do is try to disable the motion and movement sensor on the car alarm!  Is there a way, besides punching the button twice, to disable it permanently??

Kirby11 View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/15 at 2:58pm
He hasn't chewed on the suction cups or the rest of the cover. I give him an antler back there and he's happy. I think it helped that he was in the crate back there for the first couple months so he got used to just chillin' when he's in the car. And it helps if he's tired out from playing before we drive too.

I don't have an alarm so can't help you there. sorry!
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/15 at 5:04am
Thanks for the input Steph.

Dog carrier/crate purchased along with the cargo liner.  Wow, that liner is a substantially thick covering and it will double for hauling gardening suppliesThumbs Up

Thanks all for your info.
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/15 at 6:10am
Don't forget to post photos of the new puppy!
Kirby11 View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/15 at 1:23pm
WooHooSounds like you're all set. When will you be getting the puppy?
essentialpaw View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essentialpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/15 at 3:45am
It will depend on the size of your pet.
 Post Reply Post Reply