Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Dealer Discussions > Service Discussions and Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

struts replaced, lights no longer self-level

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: struts replaced, lights no longer self-level
    Posted: March/16/15 at 9:57pm

Apparently, there's a sensor for the self-leveling headlights on the left-rear, upper suspension control arm; likely it could be deranged while installing new struts?

The lights are now aimed uselessly low, and don't flash up and down when initially turned-on.

'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/15 at 2:51pm
Can someone respond with at least a, "Geez, that sucks"?
'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/15 at 3:11pm

I have no direct experience with this problem - only thing I might suggest is a visit to North American Motoring - the national MINI club / forums. 

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/ 

And you are right - it sucks that no one has responded...

Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/15 at 6:20am
It is on the Drivers side lower front control arm as I recall.  A little lever with some wires that sits on top of the arm.  Measures the angle.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/15 at 6:22am
If they removed the control arm for any reason, the sensor had to be removed.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/15 at 11:51am

Looking at pelican parts, apparently there is one in the rear too.  Who knew.  Probably should check them both out and make sure they are attached and wiring connected.

Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/15 at 11:54am
I have the Bentley for this car if you need to look at it.  I'm in Mill Creek.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

scoopieb View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoopieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/15 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by RickB RickB wrote:

Apparently, there's a sensor for the self-leveling headlights on the left-rear, upper suspension control arm; likely it could be deranged while installing new struts?

The lights are now aimed uselessly low, and don't flash up and down when initially turned-on.

sorry, been off for a few days.  Yes, there is a self leveling switch and bracket on the driver side lower rca.  When I put on my new rca, I ended up using some hose clamps to hold the bracket on.  Eventually, I'll drill the control arm and attach with screws.  It's worked fine now for about 6K miles.  It's not pretty but it works.  If you want I can take a picture tomorrow and put it up.

06 MCS RMW BVH, Street cam, RCA, coolant tank & Tune/Dinan CAI/Alta 15%V2/Dinan exhaust & ST/OS Giken GT/Carbon fiber/MOMO/BC coilover/swift
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/15 at 12:59pm

Sorry, if the "can't someone at least" comment sounded snarky.  I was feeling a bit frustrated with my situation, and looking for some company in my misery. 

Spent $2000 on new struts and tires, excited about how the car would drive, and what do I get but a leaky tire and broken headlights.

The headlight sensor had not been perfectly reinstalled, and was a five-minute fix.

The leaky tire was a bent wheel, and after getting a $200-if-it-doesn't-crack estimate, it cost $90 at another shop.

The car drives nicely, all four tires are holding air, and I can see where I'm going at night!

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/15 at 1:06pm

Life is good - especially in a fully functional MINI!

Thanks for posting the follow up.

Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Post Reply Post Reply