Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New tune, from Tork Motorsports

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedBarnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New tune, from Tork Motorsports
    Posted: April/02/15 at 1:55am

Some of you know I left the area recently to go back to basic training, this time for the Army national guard. Before I left I dropped my car off at Tork Motorsports in Auburn, they do primarily Mopar, Fiat, and Hyundai's, but they have been wanting to get into the Mini Cooper scene.

Enter my car, it was kind of one of those right place right time sort of deals, but they needed à stock Mini to start developing new parts for, and I wasn't going to be needing my car for a couple months, so I said sure.

Anyway, the guys at Tork Motorsports just posted the first new dyno results, this is just after them running diagnostics and fiddling with the tune they placed on the car back in December, so still completely stock, plus an intake.

We started off back in December at 164 whp, and yesterday they just broke the 200+ whp barrier. Again this is completely stock with an intake.

They are currently looking at doing a complete exhaust next, and said they would be posting more pictures to their Facebook page.

Edited by RedBarnes - April/29/15 at 6:37pm
2011 MCS
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/15 at 6:12am
Very cool!  Tuning the dreaded N-18 engine seems to have been a mystery in the past.  Did they break open the ECU to do it or just use the ODP-2 port?

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
RedBarnes View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedBarnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/15 at 8:51am
They had to break the open the ECU.
2011 MCS
RedBarnes View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedBarnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/15 at 8:56am
So I just got off the phone with John, he talked me into a downpipe, and he is going to build an exhaust, but he reckons we should be able to see around 60-70 more whp with additional tuning and the exhaust.

Edited by RedBarnes - April/02/15 at 9:52am
2011 MCS
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/15 at 5:59am
Deleting both Cats?

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
RedBarnes View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedBarnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/15 at 6:28am
I am not 100%, I'll get an answer for you and get back ASAP.
2011 MCS
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/15 at 11:50am
No rush, just curious.

Amazing that nobody has cracked the code on the ECU so the tunes could be done through the Port.  BMW must be paying some real serious hackers to test and bulletproof their ECU Codes!

RedBarnes View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedBarnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/15 at 2:08pm
I'll talk with John, he might have an answer for that as well, he was talking about eventually rolling out an OBD-2 tune, but wants to get everything hammered down first.
2011 MCS
RedBarnes View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedBarnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/15 at 8:09am
Originally posted by SMOG SMOG wrote:

No rush, just curious.

Amazing that nobody has cracked the code on the ECU so the tunes could be done through the Port.  BMW must be paying some real serious hackers to test and bulletproof their ECU Codes!

So I talked to John last night, he thinks he will be able to do a tune via OBD-2, but is going to have to test it once he finishes the tune he is currently working on.
2011 MCS
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/15 at 8:45pm
Thanks, that is encouraging info!

S.

RedBarnes View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedBarnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/15 at 10:38am
Just got some word back from John at Tork motorsports.

2011 MCS
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/15 at 10:41am
Clap
RedBarnes View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedBarnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/15 at 11:29am
I am (fingers crossed) picking up the car this afternoon. 
2011 MCS
RedBarnes View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedBarnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/15 at 6:29pm
Picked Brutus up from the doctors this afternoon.

From John at Tork Motorsports:

Our Mini Cooper before and after dyno results.... couldn't be happier with the results. 

2010 Mini Cooper S (turbo)
Auto Trans
Fresh plugs
Our intake 
ATP downpipe

As you can see where the cursor is, over 50 WHP gained!!! That is a 3rd and 4th gear pull, we had to abandon 5th gear dyno pulls due to heat soak on the dyno.

We will be offering tunes and many other upgrades for this platform in the coming months.

-Tork Motorsports

This doesn't look stock.

I'll be posting a video in a few minutes. 
2011 MCS
SeaSoldier View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/15 at 8:55pm
Looks like your car in the parking lot in need of a new engine?
2013 R58 Factory JCW, P3Cars VIDI Gauge, Pilot Sport AS/3, NM T/A, NM STB,GP2 Diffuser
RedBarnes View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedBarnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/15 at 12:55pm
Yeah, she was sitting up there for a while. Thank god for extended maintenance warranties. They covered the motor and then the turbo, cause that was on it's way out. She is running like a bat outta hell now. I really want to take her on Pacific Raceway, just to open her up. 

Hopefully I can get back up to Tork and get her back on the dyno in the next couple weeks. I'd be interested in what kind of numbers we have with the new turbo. John thinks the turbo was going out when we first did the tune.   
2011 MCS
 Post Reply Post Reply