Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > How To Do It
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need Advice & help - "Un-lowering" a 2006 MCS/R-53
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Advice & help - "Un-lowering" a 2006 MCS/R-53

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvstrategies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Advice & help - "Un-lowering" a 2006 MCS/R-53
    Posted: March/27/18 at 6:10pm
Hi - I'm returning to PS Mini after a several-year hiatus, with a request for anyone with Mini Cooper S R-53 suspension expertise that can give me an honest assessment of what I need to un-do a lowering job and restore my suspension. 

Details below.

Thanks
- Steve

My 2005 Mini Cooper S JCW was totaled in November, but I was able to replace it with a nearly identical 2006 Mini Cooper S (albeit non-JCW).  On the plus side, the "new" car's body, interior, and engine are excellent.

But... the previous owner lowered the car.  And must have raced the heck out of it because the suspension makes all kinds of noise - the front rattles on both sides.  The car bottoms out and the steering pulls to one side.  Not a good scene.  But the car is stable, and the CV joints seem OK (no tap-tap-tap when turning at low speeds).

I need some honest advice on what to buy and what to do first without worrying about a shop that "sees me coming" and sells me on stuff I don't need.   Any advice on brands for shocks etc is also welcomed!  

Thanks

Best regards,
- Steve
Steve H "IPVIDEO"
2006 Mini Cooper S
Pepper White
 Post Reply Post Reply