FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RMW TUNE 7/24 & 7/25

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
n1tr0 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n1tr0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RMW TUNE 7/24 & 7/25
    Posted: February/07/10 at 4:18am
Wanted to give everyone a heads up, the handheld flash tool (so you can go back to stock, or update your tune), is on pre-order from Jan. If you want to get in on the pre-order (low price), get on the list now !!
If you don't have a tune yet, you can buy the flash loader (not shareable/unique to 1 car), but you'll also need to purchase a tune as well.
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/182729-official-sign-up-thread-for-flash-tool.html
It's been a long time coming, Jan had the prototype with him at our tuning day this past summer. I'm stoked, he's got the pop & burble of the Challenge/JCW's unlocked now as well Thumbs%20Up
'08 LiB/B MCS, SS, LSD, Xenon, 16" Rota RB's w/ BFG's, 35% tint, Whalen 8-ball, GMG brake pulsar & plate, Eibach springs, JCW Alacantra wheel, & some performance stuff ;)
n1tr0 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n1tr0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/09 at 1:30pm
Looks like my boss has the better poker face, I'd told her I paid extra for the flames, but broke down today & questioned her on it ..
As for the surging, I'll have to break down & hook up my laptop & datalogger to see what's going on.

'08 LiB/B MCS, SS, LSD, Xenon, 16" Rota RB's w/ BFG's, 35% tint, Whalen 8-ball, GMG brake pulsar & plate, Eibach springs, JCW Alacantra wheel, & some performance stuff ;)
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/09 at 4:11pm
Did you email Jan?
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

n1tr0 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n1tr0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/09 at 2:59pm
only a single high-flow/metallic cat in the downpipe, rest of the exhaust is almost as straight & unobstructed as a pee shooter, so it's entirely possible ..

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/09 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by n1tr0 n1tr0 wrote:

Hey on the subject of your R56 tune, do you have any surging/bucking under part throttle acceleration before you're fully warmed up ? My car's been acting a little funny since the tune, also my boss asked me about flames coming out my exhaust pipe ? 

Did you drop the cat?

n1tr0 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n1tr0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/09 at 1:51pm
Hey on the subject of your R56 tune, do you have any surging/bucking under part throttle acceleration before you're fully warmed up ? My car's been acting a little funny since the tune, also my boss asked me about flames coming out my exhaust pipe ? 
SpyVsSpy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpyVsSpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/09 at 11:36am
With an RMW tune, I think the "Sport" button works like it was intended. When I engage it, gas mileage goes down Disapprove but my car is fun and fastDrive . When I disengage the Sport button and slap on the cruise control, I am back up to 35mpg+  Thumbs%20Up.

My car is more fun then ever.

Thank you Jan Hug
'07 MCS SS | JCW Strut bar | JCW Shift Knob | ALTA 22mm sway bar | ALTA boost tube | ALTA FMIC | ALTA Catback exhaust | BSH Oil Catch Can | Konig Feather 17" | RMW Tune 211 HP/256 TQ
coopselt View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coopselt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/09 at 10:22am
I'm headed out to korea for about a month this weekend. When I get back I hope to fiddle some more with my meth kit before doing my tune.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/09 at 5:34am
Clint and Berry still have more tuning, I believe Grants numbers are about like mine

YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakiMini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/09 at 5:25am
any more updates on numbers?
MINI-less... If God allows, I will have one again some day. :D
S Curvz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curvz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/09 at 1:09pm
I would also like a tune, but I am in no rush. I think I want his header and maybe his cam before I worry about a tune.
n1tr0 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n1tr0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/09 at 12:49pm
I'd be up for a re-tune whenever Jan's in town again. I'd like to figure out why I'm not making the power of the other R56's around here and hopefully a few of the other variables in the ecm will be figured out.
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phydeaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/09 at 1:37am
I, too, can be added to the list of those wanting (needing?) a tune who were unable to do it this last go round.  Assuming there isn't much variance in the cost, I know what to plan for and put under the mattress for next time.  ;)

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/09 at 11:20pm
I'll be up for one..I wanna get bigger injectors eventually and then a tune.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/09 at 2:57pm
You can add me to the list for needing a tune. Dependent of course on whether or not the meth kit is available. Wink
Larry

2005 JB/W MCS:RMW Tuned 215hp/187tq,cam|TSW x-brace|Cross Coilovers w/Swift Springs|OZ Alleggerita|Direzza|Scorpion Exh|etc.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/09 at 11:44am
Barry there are at least 2 for a fact that need tunes, Ed had a death in the family and had to pull out and Adam just did get all of his issues done. The other 2 that did not make it I am not sure about. Also when these 56's hit the track we might see more.

I agree Jan you should have seen the head ordeal we had earlier this year. All I will say is the dealer made it right in the end at no cost to the customer. But it was clear people had gone to far for nothing .

Belts are an interesting subject for me, as I grew up in a family that my Dad was the regional distributor for Dayco. I got to spend time at the north west tracks at age 6 with my Dad because at that time in the 60s Mark Donahaue and his Mustang were big on the road circut. It was Dayco that came in and solve the belt problem they were having with the Gates products. I thought everyone might like me sharing this , what's the point ? Bottom line is what works for one may not work for the other. I myself like the Gatorback and the 537 is a good replacement for the stock JCW belt, gates/napa changed there belts and on my car a 535 will not work I have tried 3 so I feel it is funny that in talking about my Childhood I would end up with a Dayco belt on my car. As I said what ever works.

John

RMW View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/09 at 11:22am
Originally posted by coopselt coopselt wrote:

I think that's why I got the email, cause I put that in the feedback request they sent me. Guess they don't like it when told things such as that...

I remember making a not all 5 report while in Hawaii. The next time was in, they "confronted" me about it.   Well, they couldn't fix the damn problem, so what did they expect???

yeah, they get hammered by BMW when you don't give them the good marks so they do get that way

so you told them it took me 30sec to fix it?
coopselt View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coopselt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/09 at 11:10am
I think that's why I got the email, cause I put that in the feedback request they sent me. Guess they don't like it when told things such as that...

I remember making a not all 5 report while in Hawaii. The next time was in, they "confronted" me about it.   Well, they couldn't fix the damn problem, so what did they expect???
n1tr0 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n1tr0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/09 at 10:48am

What is a "gatorback" style belt? I use one of the napa ones myself and haven't ever had any issues with running the M7, 16%.

The gatorback belts don't have continuous ribs, they're segmented and essentially look like old cracked belts. They're such a good design, not a single oem uses them. They're just noisy when cold, wear faster, and have more of a tendency to slip. The ribs on regular belts aren't there just to keep the belt from sliding off the pulley, they increase the surface area of the belt and where they squish around the pulley, they give the belt some extra bite.

Originally posted by CosmicTraveler CosmicTraveler wrote:

To each his own.  I do not share your opinion.

That's fine, the more people buy them, the more I get to prematurely replace; Same way gimmicky spark plugs and other fad DIY parts create driveability/diagnostic work.
RMW View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/09 at 10:42am

And who was the one going into limp mode while leaving after the tune? The dealer (Terry) sent me an email saying they heard I was going into limp mode post tune.   Seemed like he was "blaming" the tune, even though I was at the dealer BEFORE the tune trying to get them to fix it, which Jan fixed in about 30 seconds of him looking at my car...

it's amazing that dealers still don't know these cars after all of the cars they seeSmile

what did he say when you told him I fixed it in 30sec?
coopselt View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coopselt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/09 at 10:22am
What is a "gatorback" style belt? I use one of the napa ones myself and haven't ever had any issues with running the M7, 16%.

I really wish my meth was working for this. I would really have liked to know what my car was putting out. It ended up being just clogged. Replaced the nozzle and sprays tons better, but not perfect yet. I will eventually have to take apart the rest of the system to find out where the flow problem is.

So, how many folks out there still needed a tune so I can get him back up here after I fix the meth??

And who was the one going into limp mode while leaving after the tune? The dealer (Terry) sent me an email saying they heard I was going into limp mode post tune.   Seemed like he was "blaming" the tune, even though I was at the dealer BEFORE the tune trying to get them to fix it, which Jan fixed in about 30 seconds of him looking at my car...

CosmicTraveler View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/09 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by n1tr0 n1tr0 wrote:

don't be putting those gatorback style belts on your car, they're crap ! It's like buying a belt that's already cracked & squealing ...

To each his own.  I do not share your opinion.
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
n1tr0 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n1tr0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/09 at 10:50am

Time Slot

Screen Name

Name

Car Model /year

Mods

Results
base
new

FRIDAY

JULY 24 9:30AM

kungfoojoh

Joe Han

04 R50
Exhaust, CAI

93.8/84.9
100.1/90.6

JULY 24 11:00AM

kenru

Ken Russell

05 R53

CAI, exh, 15%, 380cc injectors

189.6/175.7
204.0/183.6

JULY 24 12:30PM

craigsmiller

Craig Miller

05 R53

RMW head, header, cam, 440cc inj., 15%. RETUNE

Pending Instructions

JULY 24 2:00PM

Boomer/ BoomerMCS

Greg Perzell

07 R56S

FMIC, DP, Exhaust, K&N

180.6/199.2

208.5/238.3

JULY 24 3:30PM

jbrown23
Jacob Brown
03 R53
Dinan 15%,Dinan CAI,Dinan Custom 2.5 Exhaust, 450injectors

Pending Instructions

JULY 24 5:00PM

Coopselt

Barry Cooper

05 R53S

RMW pistons, head, cam, header, exhaust, meth kit, injectors.Retune

Pending Instructions

SATURDAY

JULY 25 9:30AM

SpyVsSpy

Carl Black

07 R56S

ALTA Turbo Inlet tube, FMIC, ALTA Catback exhaust, ALTA filter

186.0/196.5
211.8/256.2

JULY 25 11:00AM

KnottyMan

Chris Bondelid

03 R53

15%, CAI, Exh.

Pending Instructions

JULY 25 12:30PM

Revkibosh

Grant Camp

04 R53

17%, CAI, TB, Exhaust

Pending Instructions

JULY 25 2:00PM

Johnf36

John Friend

06 R53S

15%, CAI, 380 injectors,one ball.

186.2/174.2
197.9/176.4

JULY 25 3:30PM

ClinttheMiniOwner

Clint Kidder

02 R53S

(RMWpistons,cam,
headr,meth,440's)custom head,exh,
CAI,10%

Pending Instructions

JULY 25 5:00PM

n1tr0

Kris Turner

08 R56S

JCW intake, RR Downpipe, ED Catback, FMIC

173.2/184.7
190.6/233.1

JULY 25 6:30PM

SUNDAY

JULY 26 9:30AM

roddw rodd wagner 06 R53S
Pending Instructions

JULY 26 11:00AM

alocatelli
Adam Locatelli 03 R53
4% crank/JCW 11%, CAI, JCW head/injectors,Ultrik Cam, long tube header port matched to head/no cat, Volt exhaust, Alta direct flow intercooler

JULY 26 12:30PM

JULY 26 2:00PM

JULY 26 3:30PM

I was a little bummed, having the weakest of the R56's and the most mods .. just isn't making as much boost even w/ the same mapping. Also have some funny dips in my torque curve & Jan wasn't able to give me the pop & burble I've been begging all the tuners for.
I can see where the struggle is for tuning Mini's, without being able to tweak the ecu in realtime, it's a back & forth game requiring a lot more work.
Still, it's a helluva gain and an all around nice tune.
Jan's a real professional and I'm glad we were able to get him out here Thumbs%20Up
It was good meeting more of you guys as well Big%20smile
SpyVsSpy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpyVsSpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/09 at 3:53am
By my dyno-ass, you can really feel the torque.  I am finding every opportunity to drive.  I sit at home for a few minutes and go, Hey anybody need me to run errands....lol.  I thought my mini was fast earlier but now I have more ZOOM-ZOOM, take that Mazda.
'07 MCS SS | JCW Strut bar | JCW Shift Knob | ALTA 22mm sway bar | ALTA boost tube | ALTA FMIC | ALTA Catback exhaust | BSH Oil Catch Can | Konig Feather 17" | RMW Tune 211 HP/256 TQ
dwf137 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwf137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/09 at 2:37am
very bummed I wasn't able to make this... pretty excited seeing spyvsspy's numbers on the r56.  

Edited by dwf137 - July/27/09 at 2:37am
Dave - 08 mcs SOLD

09 WRX
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/09 at 1:52am
Hey how did Kris do?

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/09 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Wildfamily Wildfamily wrote:

Am I reading that right? SpyVsSpy had a 30.4% increase in torque from 196.5 to 256.2!?!?!

Yes you would be right Sir.

PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/09 at 1:10am
Am I reading that right? SpyVsSpy had a 30.4% increase in torque from 196.5 to 256.2!?!?!
'80 Mini English White
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/09 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

Time Slot

Screen Name

Name

Car Model /year

Mods

Results
base
new

FRIDAY

JULY 24 9:30AM

kungfoojoh

Joe Han

04 R50
Exhaust, CAI

93.8/84.9
100.1/90.6

JULY 24 11:00AM

kenru

Ken Russell

05 R53

CAI, exh, 15%, 380cc injectors

189.6/175.7
204.0/183.6

JULY 24 12:30PM

craigsmiller

Craig Miller

05 R53

RMW head, header, cam, 440cc inj., 15%. RETUNE

Pending Instructions

JULY 24 2:00PM

Boomer/ BoomerMCS

Greg Perzell

07 R56S

FMIC, DP, Exhaust, K&N

180.6/199.2

208.5/238.3

JULY 24 3:30PM

jbrown23
Jacob Brown
03 R53
Dinan 15%,Dinan CAI,Dinan Custom 2.5 Exhaust, 450injectors

Pending Instructions

JULY 24 5:00PM

Coopselt

Barry Cooper

05 R53S

RMW pistons, head, cam, header, exhaust, meth kit, injectors.Retune

Pending Instructions

SATURDAY

JULY 25 9:30AM

SpyVsSpy

Carl Black

07 R56S

ALTA Turbo Inlet tube, FMIC, ALTA Catback exhaust, ALTA filter

186.0/196.5
211.8/256.2

JULY 25 11:00AM

KnottyMan

Chris Bondelid

03 R53

15%, CAI, Exh.

Pending Instructions

JULY 25 12:30PM

Revkibosh

Grant Camp

04 R53

17%, CAI, TB, Exhaust

Pending Instructions

JULY 25 2:00PM

Johnf36

John Friend

06 R53S

15%, CAI, 380 injectors,one ball.

186.2/174.2
197.9/176.4

JULY 25 3:30PM

ClinttheMiniOwner

Clint Kidder

02 R53S

(RMWpistons,cam,
headr,meth,440's)custom head,exh,
CAI,10%

Pending Instructions

JULY 25 5:00PM

n1tr0

Kris Turner

08 R56S

JCW intake, RR Downpipe, ED Catback, FMIC

Pending Instructions

JULY 25 6:30PM

SUNDAY

JULY 26 9:30AM

roddw rodd wagner 06 R53S
Pending Instructions

JULY 26 11:00AM

alocatelli
Adam Locatelli 03 R53
4% crank/JCW 11%, CAI, JCW head/injectors,Ultrik Cam, long tube header port matched to head/no cat, Volt exhaust, Alta direct flow intercooler

JULY 26 12:30PM

JULY 26 2:00PM

JULY 26 3:30PM

07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/09 at 11:18pm
Really good to hear you all had such great results. I'm really jealous! 
'80 Mini English White
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>