Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lights
    Posted: February/14/10 at 4:14pm
I am getting reading to up grade my illumination just need to find the suppliers for these lights.

Who all has light Mods out there?

Have pictures?

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Alocatelli View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alocatelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/10 at 2:04am
Here is the newest version of my light bar.  I had to remake it when I put the aero front end on, now it is a lot more solid.  I still need to loom the wires that are sticking out, working on too many projects at onceWink.
'03 MCS JCW PPG Rattlesnake/BlackPearl-Way too many mods to list here ;)
craigsmiller View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigsmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/10 at 5:01am
John: 

I have a pair of brand new Hella Black Magic driving lights, complete with mounting brackets and clear stone guards, which I'd deeply discount for a fellow club member.  See them here:

I have pictures of them on my car, but I can't locate them at the moment.  Please let me know if you're interested ........ Craig
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/10 at 5:55am
Thanks a lot Craig, that figures I already ordered the 4 new lights to replace my current ones.

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigsmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/10 at 12:06pm
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigsmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/10 at 12:09pm
Cancel your order, John ........ or send them back when they arrive.  These are so much cooler, and you don't have to take the covers off every time you want to turn them on.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/10 at 3:16pm
Nice lights, Why did you install them?

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigsmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/10 at 5:30am
I installed them, but I didn't electrically connect them.  After a week or so, I decided I didn't like the look, so I removed them .... a little too much "rally car" for my taste.

They ARE very nice lights, so I'm hoping to find a good home for them ..... Craig
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/10 at 10:29am
What does all the lights in front do to the cooling of the motor?

S.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/10 at 11:20am
Nothing you will actual find that my light with the mounts I made place the light below the of the upper grill and above the lower grill.

John

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 12:12am
John:

I see that now.  The stupid front license plate that our state requires blocks more than your lights.  I have been hoping that the economy might make a front license plate to expensive!  Who stands in front of a vehicle to get the plate number of a car that is speeding or about to run them down?

Stephen

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 2:17am
S
LOLOLO
Our law enforcement need a nice flat surface to hit with the radar.

J

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 2:27am
J:

Wow!  You might just be correct!!!  I never thought of that aspect , I believe it is illegal to have a radar scrambler; correct me if that is incorrect since it might be a handy tool if legal.

S.

Edited by Soggy-1 - February/27/10 at 2:28am
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 3:43am
S:
You might be surprised to know the answer is no, unless things have changed. I believe the way Washington handles it is if you use it and they catch you violating the speed limit then they really nail you. I believe there are a few people here that have more exp then me on this subject.
http://www.007radardetectors.com/legal.htm
http://www.007radardetectors.com/speeding_fines.htm
J

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 3:45am
Here is a neither way to look at it
 http://www.stealthcountermeasures.com/radardetectorlaws.htm

Might consider where you can't use them if you travel.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 11:59am
J:

Those links were very informative, thank you!  I'll stick with the herd and blend in, like a zebra since it keeps the blood pressure down on long trips.  Stop and go I avoid entirely.  When I switched from hotrods to vans/buses/campers my traffic ticket factor dropped like a stone.  Now I just cruise along the freeways not much above the limit, I just take the corners at the same freeway speeds.

S.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 12:07pm
Your welcome, I believe there are some here that have units that can melt the radar guns. LOLOLO

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 12:10pm
J:

That would be nice!  I remember in my youth I was pulled over before radar gun and the trooper was nice enough to only write me up for 94 in a 60 and I know I was going way faster than that because I had backed off the gas when I spotted him and it took him a while to turn around and get up to speed.

S.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 12:22pm
S
LOLOLOL
Good thing we got wise in our old age.

J

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 12:31pm
J:

It is a work in progress...

S.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 12:53pm
S
Only problem if I don't hurry up and finish I am more then likely going to forget what I was suppose to finish.

J

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/10 at 12:51am
J:

I am a big fan of lists, that way I look at my list when I get into a room I thought I needed to enter!

S.

heine12oz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heine12oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/10 at 12:54am
Originally posted by Alocatelli Alocatelli wrote:

Here is the newest version of my light bar.  I had to remake it when I put the aero front end on, now it is a lot more solid.  I still need to loom the wires that are sticking out, working on too many projects at onceWink.
Alocatelli
great looking ride.  I haven't seen you around town, but will look for sure.  Would love to see it in person, looks like you have some really nice mods.  Let me know when you are out and about and we can hook up.  I'm over off of Elk Run.

Matt
pepper white. black roof. 20% tint. cobra stripes. rally lights. aero grille. 18" TSW Trackstar 5. Alta CAI. 15%
Alocatelli View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alocatelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/10 at 1:52am
Hi Matt

I think I caught a glimpse of your car the other day, saw it down the road turning, pepper white with black rims?  Surprised you haven't seen me yet I'm always driving around and my MINI's pretty loud ;)  If you see me flag me down would love to take a look at yours too.

-Adam
'03 MCS JCW PPG Rattlesnake/BlackPearl-Way too many mods to list here ;)
heine12oz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heine12oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/10 at 6:09am
Yup, that was me or the wife.  Will do.  She drives it more than me, but If I see ya, I will stop.  I also drive a modded blue chevy avalanche with chrome rims.  Can't miss that one.
pepper white. black roof. 20% tint. cobra stripes. rally lights. aero grille. 18" TSW Trackstar 5. Alta CAI. 15%
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/10 at 12:31am
Okay new lights installed, I will try and get more pics this weeked sorry about the dirty car will get to that this weekend too.

nicknbecka View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicknbecka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/10 at 11:41am
John, they look great! Thumbs Up I really like the black look.
2007 AB/AB MCS w/ Chrome Line
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/10 at 12:17pm
J:

I too like the black look!  Does anyone make a rectangular lamp that give tons of light?

S.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/10 at 12:39pm
S:

Thanks All, I really like them, just what are you looking for in a rectangular light? Do you want road legal?

J.

FYI: They actual have them with halo's inside now, it is referred to as European.

Edited by johnf36 - March/05/10 at 1:08pm

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/10 at 1:11pm
J:

I believe in the past I have had Hella Lamps (Fog) that were rectangular but I don't remember one for distance being rectangular.  The fog lamps worked well in those areas where ground fog was dense and were more bright than the factory headlamps.  If you put lamps on the roof the lighting is pretty good but every bug on the planet finds its way into your windshield!

S.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>