Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Site Information and Feedback > Archived Forum Topics > NW Harvest MINI v. PORSCHE 2011 Challenge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MINI/PORSCHE CHALLENGE II - Event Date: December/03/11

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/11 at 6:40am
Bruce:

More good ideas, thanks! 

I think the Club Presidents need to have the monies in hand and tallied before going to Marymoor Park.  That park was nothing more than a waaaay to small parking lot with no possible means of organization.

Stephen

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Dave's not here View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave's not here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/11 at 8:33am
Great suggestion Bruce.  If participation in this event grows as it should, the less congestion we contribute will make everything better.  And if we do get more cars from both sides, a MUCH bigger post meeting place will have to be found.
5 race wins, 2 in the rain. 2nd in ICSCC G Production Championship 2005 and 2006. Now I'm just gonna drive the MINI.
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/11 at 8:36am
Great IDEAS!!! Keep them coming.

Couple of things:

Looking for a new meeting point that's larger. We hope to get 300 + cars at this event between the two clubs. Need a large area close to the Drop Off, Redmond Town Center.

NW Harvest has already agreed to have dedicated BINS: MINI & Porsche. Part of the problem last year.

NW Harvest does not bring a scale to the drop off. Weight is determined AFTER they get everything back to their location.

We will tally the cash donations and make a presentation of the total funds and have a visual idea of the amount of food donations from each club based on the dedicated bins at the drop off.

Rob N. had a GREAT IDEA on Matching Donations. As long as there is evidence that these employer funds are being donated to NW Harvest in the name of the Mini Owner, we should be good to go. Just have some proof of the matching funds so they can be counted the day of the event.

We are looking for a place to hold a celebration lunch after the drop off. TBA!!

Onramp, Pat, is organizing the SS Mini Club. He may have breakfast, donut stop and/or other activities planned to get the club to the meeting point.

May want to consider smaller groups (SQUADRONS) leaving from seperate areas but all ending up at the MEETING POINT BY XXX Hour.

Looking for ways to make the drop efficient. Several ideas, nothing firm at this point.

Last year, many MINI's were PACKED FULL of donations, be hard to try to consolidate these donations in fewer cars, especially if we get more cars participating. We will continue working with NW Harvest, KING 5 and Eastside HOG to try to get this efficient and FUN!

If other food collection spots are agreed, such as Club Sponsors, need to pick up these donations & get them to the drop off.

Many items to coordinate and try to make this better and more fun this year.

PLEASE KEEP IDEAS FLOWING!

WE WANT TO KICK PORSCHE'S BUTT this year, AND MAKE NW HARVEST BETTER PREPARED TO SERVE OUR COMMUNITY!!!

Look for additional details on this site and watch for emails!

Tell your Mini FRIENDS that may not visit this site. They may participate and want to join the club!

We are at a distinct # disadvantage but we can overcome this with good old fashion marketing among MINI owners.

Linda has reached out to SOMOA and the Inland Empire Club as well as SS MINI.

Cheers!
07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/11 at 4:46pm
OK we have a central meeting point for both Clubs:

Overlake Christian Church: 9900 Willows Road NE, Redmond, WA. They have agreed to allow us to use their parking lot on the day of the event: Sat. Dec. 3rd @ 11:00 AM.

The lot is HUGE, 22 Acres, but we'll have the lot closest to Willows.

We are still working on getting a smooth drive to Redmond Town Center for the tally of goods & $$'s. The donation bins will be labeled, one for Mini & one for Porsche. Also trying to get the drop organized better so all the Club Cars will drop one after the other.

Also think about doing Squadrons. From the East, West, North & South. Need Squadron Leaders. I'm thinking maybe a meet up for the Northeast side could be at like Frost Donuts. Apple Fritter and Coffee sure would sound good. What's everyone think?

Cheers!

07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/11 at 5:13pm
Great job by all involved so far - finding a suitable meeting place is a huge benefit - thanks to whoever made that possible!  I like the squadron approach - possibley with a pre staging meeting area where we can then descend en mass on the parking lot - similar to what we do for the Tulip Rally...  I'll try to get some involvement from an "outside" organization -
Thanks again to all supporting this very worthwhile cause -  
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/11 at 11:21pm
All - new details are posted:

We have a Facebook page - If you are registered with Facebook, go visit the page and share with all your friends: 

Plan on being at Overlake Christian Church @ 11:00 am on Dec 3, 2011. (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Overlake+Christian+Church+Redmond)
Bring your MINI or Porsche filled to the brim with food. Can’t bring food? Don’t despair -- hop in your car and motor down with a check, for whatever you can afford, made payable to Northwest Harvest.

More to come... 
italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/11 at 5:05am
I really hope to get the day off!

Stefano
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/11 at 9:10am
Kurt, thanks big guy!!!!

Facebook page looks awesome. Couple of requests:

If you are on Facebook, tell your friends to check out the page.

Email your friends and personally tell them about the event and if they don't own a MINI, Mini or Porsche, shamelessly ask if they'd like to help you kick Porsche's butt by adding to your donation.

Chat this up at your workplace. See if they'd allow you to place a NW Harvest Collection bin at your place of business (remember, you'll be responsible for getting these donations to the Challenge drop off)

Ask your employer if they would do "matching funds" for your donation to NW Harvest & provide some evidence these funds will be sent to NW Harvest so we can count them when we do the tally of funds raised the day of the event.

Basically, do anything you can to increase MINI or Mini participation at this event.

I've posted links to PSMINI and our new Facebook page on the BMW website so if you know of other websites we could use to get participation, post and place links to this site & our Facebook page.

Let's get some good old marketing done the old fashion way, word of mouth, but using new technology.

Cheers!
swhobbit View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swhobbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/11 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

Bring your MINI or Porsche filled to the brim with food. Can’t bring food? Don’t despair -- hop in your car and motor down with a check, for whatever you can afford, made payable to Northwest Harvest.
Who is collecting checks (made out to Northwest Harvest, of course) for non-attendee contributors?
PURRMOR: 2001 Melting Silver Cooper S Convertible
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/11 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by swhobbit swhobbit wrote:

Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

Who is collecting checks (made out to Northwest Harvest, of course) for non-attendee contributors?

I'll second that questionApprove.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/11 at 2:54pm
Last year, I collected checks at Seattle Mini and MY BOSS added them up and we presented this to NW Harvest at the drop.
I can do the same thing this year for people attending the event.

If you can't attend, but want to donate, maybe Linda would agree to have checks mailed to the PSMINI membership dues address and then give them to me at the Church.

Really hope people can make it to the event. Remember, the Porsche Club has 1650 paid members and we only have 225. Every car will count, but I can fully appreciate it if you can't attend but still want to donate.

Cheers!

Hot Shot View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/11 at 7:52pm
I plan on making this again this year. Was a bit hectic last year because I was coming from the south end at another charity event. This year I'll just meet up with everyone at the church. Anyone want to meet up at Frost Donuts and caravan down?
-James
www.jboyerphotography.com

ACTUAL SIZE Sticker GB
<
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/11 at 8:22pm
James,  I think one of the possible plans is to have a few pre staging areas around the sound - then a big pre-staging meetup before the grand entrance to the Church parking lot - Frost's would be a great starting point for the North Enders...
Jack -

Hot Shot View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/11 at 8:23pm
Sounds good to me. We'll set something up as we get closer....
-James

ACTUAL SIZE Sticker GB
<
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/11 at 7:14am
James, you know many people on 6speedonline. May I ask you to post information about this event on that website.

You are also pretty tight with many of the Exotics @ RTC people. These people have tons of connections within the car community and may even have a Mini or MINI in their garage (hopefully not too many Porsche owners Wink). Please spread the word with them as well and ask them to tell their friends in the car community.

We'll need all the help we can get again this year! Need to find another Mark, the guy with the Carrera GT & the MINI.  Think he sold the MINI but maybe he'll still support us or the event, even if it's with those big bad Porsche folksSmile!

Cheers!

Hot Shot View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/11 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Boomer Boomer wrote:

James, you know many people on 6speedonline. May I ask you to post information about this event on that website.

You are also pretty tight with many of the Exotics @ RTC people. These people have tons of connections within the car community and may even have a Mini or MINI in their garage (hopefully not too many Porsche owners Wink). Please spread the word with them as well and ask them to tell their friends in the car community.

We'll need all the help we can get again this year! Need to find another Mark, the guy with the Carrera GT & the MINI.  Think he sold the MINI but maybe he'll still support us or the event, even if it's with those big bad Porsche folksSmile!

Cheers!

I know Mark. He did sell his R56 MINI, but replaced it with a classic Mini instead Big smile. I had thought that the NW Toy Run that 6Speedonline participates in was also on the 3rd, but it looks like it's on the 4th this year. I'll post it on the carz and friends site, 6Speed, and ERTC site to see if we can increase participation.

Thanks,
James
-James

ACTUAL SIZE Sticker GB
<
Hot Shot View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/11 at 9:58am
I posted on the 6Speed site:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/northwest/258996-porsche-vs-mini-nw-harvest-challenge-03-dec-11-a.html

Big smile
-James

ACTUAL SIZE Sticker GB
<
Hot Shot View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/11 at 10:07am
I've also shared the link to this page on the Carz and Friends (Closed Group) and Exotics@RTC Facebook pages.
-James

ACTUAL SIZE Sticker GB
<
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/11 at 1:51pm
James, Thanks!!!!!

Many people in the area that own Mini or MINI's don't visit this site or belong to this club (wish they did). So your posts on these sites should really help with attendance and donations.

Hope Mark decides to participate this year. Drives his Carrera GT but donates with Mini. His donation last year put us over the top!!!!! Maybe he'll take the Classic Mini this year!

Thanks again!

Cheers!

10HULZN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10HULZN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/11 at 10:04pm
Darnit, we'll be out the state that weekend.  Best of luck to team MINI!
Michael Tenhulzen
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/11 at 3:47pm
Mike - drop a check off at the MBA with Matt at the front desk and I'll pick it up next week.  I'll bring your check with ours.  Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
kiwi View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/11 at 11:45am
Myself my wife and my english bulldog bogie will definately be there to donate food and join in the fun.
searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/11 at 6:07pm
Boeing Employees and Retirees...  I have confirmed that Boeing will match employee contributions dollar for dollar, and for retirees, 50 cents on the dollar. 

Go to Total Access, My Community Giving, Gift Match, Request a gift match, then search for Northwest Harvest, Seattle. A number or results will be returned, just pick the first one. Once you fill out your contribution details, you will be able to print out a receipt which you could hand in, along with your check, on the day of the event. 

Couldn't be any easier and not only more $ for a worthy cause, more $ to crush Porsche!  Wink
Larry

2005 JB/W MCS:RMW Tuned 215hp/187tq,cam|TSW x-brace|Cross Coilovers w/Swift Springs|OZ Alleggerita|Direzza|Scorpion Exh|etc.
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/11 at 7:13pm
Thumbs UpThumbs Up Good Show Larry - Hope more companies will be a generous!
Jack -

Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/11 at 4:25pm
News from Porsche! Seems they are bringing their big guns with Larson Porsche and Park Place Motors serving as drop locations prior to the event:

Social
Start 12/3/2011 1:00 PM
End 12/3/2011 3:00 PM
Description The challenge is on again! For the past year Larry Nelson has been in contact with one of our club members who is also very active in the Puget Sound Mini Motoring Club. Their conversations would always end up on “How we can top last year’s turn-out?” Well, first-off “I hope we don’t need a sunny day.” The chance of that on December 3rd is slim, so rain or shine I hope all the club members can dust off your Porsches to help your community.

This year we have added a Facebook page - If you are registered with Facebook, visit our Facebook page and share with all your friends. We hope the Facebook page will be a fun way to banter back for forth and hopefully create more excitement about the event.

2 Drop Sites if you can’t attend
We also have two drop sites arranged, if you cannot make it out to the event on December 3. On the Eastside you can take your donations to Park Place LTD at 13710 N.E. 20th Street, in Bellevue; and for the club members in the south end you can go to Larson Porsche at 7034 South Tacoma Way in Tacoma. Please make any donations before December 2nd so we can add it to our delivery total on Saturday.

What type of food are we looking for?
Northwest Harvest can use any nonperishable food or monetary donations. If you are donating food, please select shelf-stable foods that are low in saturated fats and refined carbohydrates. Foods like oatmeal, whole grain pastas, brown rice, tomato products, can vegetables, canned fruit (low in sugar) beef stew and chili. We can also use baby formula, powdered or canned milk, infant cereal, and jars of baby food.

Caravan Starting Point
Join us on December 3rd at Overlake Christian Church, at 9900 Willows Road N.E. in Redmond to meet-up and begin our caravan to Redmond Town Square to drop off our donation

$$$ Contributions are welcome too
If you would like to contribute to Northwest Harvest, but aren’t able to make it to any of the drop-off locations, we will also be delivering checks on December 3rd. You can mail checks (payable to Northwest Harvest) to Larry Nelson at 25917 Witte Road SE, Maple Valley, WA 98038. Northwest Harvest buys many food items in bulk, so cash donations can go far in helping feed the hungry this holiday season.

We hope to see all those who attended last year from both clubs. Call your friends--let’s make this even bigger this year. Remember, this is YOUR community and everyone can use a hand now and then.
<< Back

Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/11 at 12:30am
Hm, somehow I got bumped off this thread. Ermm I was wondering why I hadn't received any notifications for a while. I've got a lot of catching up to do by reading the latest news... Wacko
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
Carole View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/11 at 10:13am
Can someone verify if this is at 11am or 1pm?  Some posts say to be at the church at 11am. Other say it's 1-3pm.  Very confusing....

Carole
"Little Baby Vroom Vroom!" - Chili Red w/white racing stripes, UK side scuttles, sport seats, cold weather & premium pkgs, auto transmission, Piano Black, Xenon headlights, Bluetooth/USB.
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/11 at 3:45pm
Carole, that's my fault and Larry Nelson's at the PCA.

Meeting time is 12:00 Noon at Overlake Christian Church and then we parade over to Redmond Town Center.

We, the MINI group hope to have a Norht End SQUADRON leaving from Frost Donuts. We'll probably meet there early enough to get some sweets and coffee then motor over to the Church.

Are you hoping to bring some other MINI Maniacs with you from Bellingham? Sure hope you can. Watch for some additional details over the next few days.

Thanks for doing this last year and we'll see you again this year. Really want to surpass last years efforts. It's just a good time for a great cause!

Cheers!

Edited by WOODSTOCK - November/15/11 at 10:17pm
Carole View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/11 at 3:51pm
I don't really know any MINI people in Bellingham. I see a lot of MINIs around here, but I don't know if any of them belong to the club.

I won't be doing the donut thing as I'm celebrating a 157 pound weight loss (as of this morning - by 12/3, it will probably be at least 160 :)  So only half of the me that was there last year will be there this year :)

Carole
"Little Baby Vroom Vroom!" - Chili Red w/white racing stripes, UK side scuttles, sport seats, cold weather & premium pkgs, auto transmission, Piano Black, Xenon headlights, Bluetooth/USB.
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/11 at 4:12pm
WaveARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CAROLE CONGRATULATIONS---------------- SEROUSLY THAT IS FANTASTIC!!!!Hug
Now you have to come to show OFF!
We have to talk------------really! I need to drop a few(more than a few) pounds and quit doing some other NASTY habits. WELL DONE!!!!!

Cheers!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>