Forum Home Forum Home > Autocross and Racing > Performance Driving/Track Days
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MINI Thunder III - Event Date: February/19/12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: MINI Thunder III
    Posted: November/04/11 at 8:37am

MINI Thunder III registration is now open. 

Typically there is a full day Hooked on Driving track day the day before MINI Thunder - that gets you two full days on the Thunderhill track. I did it in 2011 and it was a blast. 

Here is info from Norm Nelson, the event organizer: 

"Join us for this all day track event of HPDI (High Performance Driving Instruction) at the SCCA track at Willows California.

http://www.minithunderhill.com/index.cfm

This track was designed and built by the members of the San Francisco SCCA. It's a wonderful track with great facilities.

We are limiting the number to 120 MINI/MInis. This will give enough time and instructors for every driver. We will have groups ranging from first timers to advanced.

The cost is $199 per entrant or $275 for those that want to share a Mini. This includes loads of track time, turn workers, tow-trucks, flaggers, instructors, lunch, & T-shirts. For shared entries the 1st T-Shirt is included for the primary driver and the second to be purchased @ $15 in sizes of S,M,L, XL, 2XL.

T-Shirts will be available  in sizes small, medium, large, XL, and 2XL, larger shirts  (3XL, 4XL, etc) must be purchased in advanced and will be at $25.00 ea.

This event is for MINI/Mini Coopers only, any model or variation."

Register at: 

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/77E2323D-E465-7884-2DE30A3AC91FFD9E

For anyone that wishes to get an extra track day at Thunderhill, Hooked on Driving is holding an HPDE event on Saturday, Feb. 18, 2012, the day before MINI Thunder III. Hooked on Driving is offering all MINI Thunder III participants a $45 discount. To take advantage of this: 

Hooked on Driving has offered MINI Thunder III participants a $45 discount off their Feb 18, 2012 Saturday Track Day. To get this discount go to:http://www.hookedondriving.com/index.cfm and click on the "Store" button, scroll down to the Thunderhill Feb 18, 2012 Event and click Register, when you get to checkout, fill out the registration and at the bottom there will be a box "GIFT CERTIFICATE of CREDIT Code" enter promo code: MINIThunder3 and the $45 credit will be applied to your purchase.

Hooked on Driving has booked Saturday Feb 18 2012 for their HPDE. So you can learn the track before MINI Thunder III on the next day. This will offer an additional track day for those that are travelling long distances to get here.

Please check the link below for more information and registration for HOOKED ON DRIVING on the day before MINI Thunder: 

http://www.hookedondriving.com/event-details/February_Fun_with_HOD_-_Thunderhill_on_Saturday,_the_18th

Edited by CORNERS - December/16/11 at 11:34am
Willcoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willcoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/11 at 11:23am
This sounds like fun and I have always wanted to get on that track.
searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/11 at 6:22am
Just got done participating in a 2 day event put on by the Golden Gate Region BMW Club. What a blast! Weather was cool and dry yesterday and rainy for Saturday afternoon. First time on this track and I have to say, this ranks right up there with Laguna Seca and ORP. Greg (Boomer) and I had a great time passing M3s that made up the majority of this event. There must have been at least 20 of them registered.

If there is a Hooked on Driving event on Saturday, I'm seriously considering making this event. 
Larry

2005 JB/W MCS:RMW Tuned 215hp/187tq,cam|TSW x-brace|Cross Coilovers w/Swift Springs|OZ Alleggerita|Direzza|Scorpion Exh|etc.
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/11 at 7:51am
Larry, sounds like a great time - did you or Greg get any videos of the action?
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/11 at 8:02am
Yes, we sure did, Jack! We're taking a leisurely 2-day drive back so I'll get some videos posted later in the week.

We didn't run the "Cyclone" this time, instead, the bypass was in play. I was told it's 2 - 2.5 seconds per lap faster by using the bypass. My best time was 2:16 and it was so much fun, I didn't want the session to end. I had a great instructor and she kept telling me "GAS... GAS... GAS!!!" and that really made it fun and helped me to turn my best lap of the weekend. I can't wait to get back there!

Edited by searocko - November/07/11 at 8:04am
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/11 at 3:11pm
What, no cyclone... That was one of my favorite turns. But it's an awesome track either way. 

It is a really fast track. 

We're probably going to be going to Hawaii or Disney World on the weekend of MINI Thunder next year, so I probably won't be able to make it, but maybe sometime in the summer or next year... 
searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/11 at 10:09pm
Here's my first video from the weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5FdGLlXfbk
Larry

2005 JB/W MCS:RMW Tuned 215hp/187tq,cam|TSW x-brace|Cross Coilovers w/Swift Springs|OZ Alleggerita|Direzza|Scorpion Exh|etc.
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/11 at 8:08am
Thanks Larry - nice ride - and I likde the camera location.  How mayn shift points in a lap?
Jack -

Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/11 at 4:18pm
Here's my video from this weekend at Thunderhill. Can't come close to HOT ROD LARRY'S time-------------------------He NAILED IT and the track is really SWEET!

The video shows two MINI's at play, the Blue MINI is piloted by one of the instructors, don't know his name, but it was a blast. Watch toward the end, HE JUST MAY HAVE A RWD MINILOL!?!@?!

Enjoy!

Cheers!
07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/11 at 11:10pm
Great video - it looks different when the corkscrew is not in use. Even the bypass is a blind corner. This is such a fast track, I love it! 

Also: no animals were harmed in making this video! :-) 

Jack - I did this track in February for MINI Thunder II. 

If I recall correctly, these are my shift points: 
Downshift at the end of the straightaway (Turn 1) into third gear 
No shifting all the way through to Turn 6 - shift into 4th here
Hold until Turn 8 unless you are going too fast and need to shift to 5th - at Turn 9, downshift into 3 at the crest of the hill
Shift into 4th heading down the hill toward Turn 10 
Shift into 3rd before Turn 10
Hold in 3rd until hitting the back straightaway after Turn 13
Shift back down to 3rd at Turn 14
Shift back up to 4th, 5th at the front straight after Turn 15

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/11 at 11:54pm
Jack, my shift points pretty much followed Kurt's.

Here's another video from a little later in the same session. This is the only "ego" that I had to deal with all weekend. 

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/11 at 7:56am
Thanks Kurt and Larry - Loved the comments on the "ego trip"  - especailly the "Truck" one!
Jack -

Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/11 at 8:00am
Larry, GREAT DRIVING & GREAT VIDEO!!!!!!

Love your line: "DID I MISS THE CHECKERED???? TOO FUNNY LOL

The event was dominated by "M" cars. Very few Porsches or other Marques. Great event and there were a fair # of MINI's, including instructor owned & driven ones.

Cheers!
07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/11 at 8:13am
Enjoyed your ride too Greg - Always a treat to watch well dirven cars at speed...
Jack -

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/11 at 10:05am
Thanks guys. That truck comment was courtesy of my instructor. She was too funny. At the start of the session, I had pointed by an M3 on the out lap and she says, "wow, that must be a racer... I've never seen those cars go that fast!"  LOL
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/11 at 10:40pm
Man, that is one serious ego. 

We had no egos to deal with - everyone played nice. I let by 2-3 faster cars and everyone who I approached pointed me right by. 
(Well, there was one car that needed a couple blue flags to get the hint, but the pain lasted for less than half a lap)

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/11 at 10:38am
Norm Nelson, organizer of MINI Thunder III, asked me to post this: 

You guys have posted some great video. I'd like to ask permission to repost links on the MINI Thunder III website as well as other promo sites. This is great stuff for anyone that has not driven Thunderhill. Gives you the "feel" of what its like in a MINI. Love the telemetry with speed, G-Forces, location on the track and front and rear views. Nice lines as well < width="18" height="17" id="Picture_x0020_1" alt="Clap" ="cid:001.gif@01CCA1ED.313771A0" ="application/x-apple-msg-attachment" apple-width="yes" apple-height="yes">.

While I am here I thought I'd pass along this info as well:

MCE Racing is offering all MINI Thunder III entrants Dyno Service at Thunderhill Raceway Park. Location: 5250 Highway 162 Garage 15, Willows CA. www.mcedyno.com $59.95 for three (3) runs w/air fuel reading (2 & 4 WD available) Call Kevin at 530-934-3237 or email MCERacing@gmail.com to set up an appointment. He can set up for days on either side of MINI Thunder III

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/11 at 10:44am
Here's some of my videos from MINI Thunder II that you may post: 

Bumper-cam 

Same lap, different point of view. In car w/ telemetry

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/11 at 6:26pm
So is Norm monitoring this thread? If so, feel free to link the videos that I've posted.
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/11 at 7:40pm
Way to go guys - Those videos ate too good not to share!
Jack -

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/11 at 7:31am
Glad you guys had a fun time. It's a great track for sure. Too bad the bypass was used...that section over the top is a blast as the car lightens up.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/11 at 12:20am
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/11 at 8:03am
John, Ed did a fantastic job on this. Just TOO FUNNY!

Cheers!
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/11 at 5:08pm

UPDATE: Hooked on Driving has booked Saturday Feb 18 2012 for their HPDE. So you can learn the track for MINI Thunder III the day before. This will offer an additional track day for those that are travelling long distances to get here, and for those who live nearby.

Please check the link below for more information and registration.

http://www.hookedondriving.com/event-details/February_Fun_with_HOD_-_Thunderhill_on_Saturday,_the_18th

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/11 at 11:33am

For anyone that wishes to get an extra track day at Thunderhill, Hooked on Driving is holding an HPDE event on Saturday, Feb. 18, 2012, the day before MINI Thunder III. Hooked on Driving is offering all MINI Thunder III participants a $45 discount. To take advantage of this: 

Hooked on Driving has offered MINI Thunder III participants a $45 discount off their Feb 18, 2012 Saturday Track Day. To get this discount go to:http://www.hookedondriving.com/index.cfm and click on the "Store" button, scroll down to the Thunderhill Feb 18, 2012 Event and click Register, when you get to checkout, fill out the registration and at the bottom there will be a box "GIFT CERTIFICATE of CREDIT Code" enter promo code: MINIThunder3 and the $45 credit will be applied to your purchase.

Island Maser View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Island Maser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/12 at 3:48pm
I am signed up for both days. Headed down early Friday. Looks like rain tires on Sat. Big plus for us NW guys. Rain day at the track equals running my street set up:). Be nice to get the new sticky tires a break in.
2011 JCW Hardtop. Midnight Black, Black Wheels and Murdered out,Flat Black Viper stripes with 1/4" red Pin on the outsides. Front and Rear Red Tow Hooks, - Name BlackJack
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/12 at 9:15pm
So who all is going to this one? Sadly I am unable to attend this year. 

Island Maser View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Island Maser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/12 at 8:31am
I head down Friday. Bummer your not going Kurt. I want to see that HP on the track. Sat looks like a good day weather wise for the HOD event. Sunday looks wet. Good news is wet equals my daily driver set up. Living up here you get lots of days to practice fast in wet. Caught the rear end trying to pass me on the outside just yesterday:)
2011 JCW Hardtop. Midnight Black, Black Wheels and Murdered out,Flat Black Viper stripes with 1/4" red Pin on the outsides. Front and Rear Red Tow Hooks, - Name BlackJack
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/12 at 3:42pm
Good luck and have fun guys! 
 Post Reply Post Reply