Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CORNERS gets a Joey Mod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CORNERS gets a Joey Mod
    Posted: March/12/12 at 6:30am
So what did the wife think of the oven usage for car parts? LOL Anne was not happy with me when I was rebuilding my brake calipers for the E30 on the kitchen table. LOL
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/12 at 6:04am
Thanks for all the info Kurt!  The bit about solvents & plastics is a good reminder.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
el chupacabra View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el chupacabra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/12 at 9:33pm
Looks tight. You did a good job. 

LoMasRankiao/ Dandole Dura A La Competencia con mi '06 MCS
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/12 at 9:02pm
Any oven in my home must serve dual-duty. :-) 

That's actually just one of the cotton work gloves from Japan that I always use when working on cars. Keeps all the yucky stuff off my hands and is great for burn prevention as well. The thin oils get through but they are easily cleaned up. 

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/12 at 5:11am
This give me ideas for SMOG-1.....

Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

Here's what he looks like when all done: 
IMG_1479.JPG

The end result is VERY NICE!

I stuck them in the oven at 200F for about 10 minutes to pry them apart and to put them back together.

IMG_1469.JPG

Did Martha Stewart approve of the recipe and usage of the OVE-GLOVE ?

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/12 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Erhan Erhan wrote:

Looks great.  Love the red accent.

I Like it! Thumbs Up
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/12 at 5:23pm
I too used an orbital polisher once I got the crude Z pattern removed from the lens that a person thought they needed to carve into the lens.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/12 at 4:08pm
I used 600 grit sandpaper, 1500 grit, and then an orbital polisher with Meguiar heavy cut polish, followed by fine cut polish. 

What I can see now are impact craters from rock hits. They are very deep relative to the surface, but the polish did get into many of them and they are not as visible as before.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/12 at 2:34pm
I used rubbing compound to get the deep scratches out and then progressively smoother Griot's compounds and finally glass polish.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/12 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Erhan Erhan wrote:

That's "Ford Red" engine paint from O'Reilly's if you're interested. :-) 

It has a decent gloss by itself, but I shot it with some clear coat to make it more shiny. 

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/12 at 2:32pm
I just used various sandpaper and polishing equipment I have on hand and it cleaned up pretty nicely. 

You can't tell from 6ft away. 

Erhan View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/12 at 1:03pm
2011 R56 S
Wilwood BBK, Konig feather wheels & AD08 tires, Alta FMIC, NM dischrg pipe, BC Racing coilovers, Alta 22mm rear sway & endlinks, Hsport rear cont arms, TSW xbrace, JCW steering wheel
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/12 at 11:32am
Kurt you might try one of those head light restore kits, my Dad had good luck with the 3M kit.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/12 at 10:37am
The pits are fairly deep. I'll need to sand them down and then polish them back up again. 
I did polish it a little bit yesterday and it does look a lot better. 

Note to self: Never use thinner on clear polycarbonate - it causes haze. Use rubbing alcohol or just soap and water instead.  

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/12 at 6:07am
Kurt:  Looks very goodThumbs Up 

Painting with the family gone was a good move, otherwise you would have to try and convince your wife that the odor was just a special new MINI incenseBig smile

Those multiple coats thin coats are the hardest thing to do for me.  I always seem to get carried away with the paintCry.

Have you tried buffing out the pits in the clear lenses?  I took out some scratched in graffiti on a tail light lens.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/12 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by shasti212 shasti212 wrote:

Love it!!! CORNERS is getting more and more bada$$

$$ is right. These headlamps were not cheap. I should have got a 2005-2006 MINI. 
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/12 at 10:34pm
It's going to take me a while to get used to how dark the headlights look now. 

Stefano: The passenger side Xenon is still here. I had to destroy the driver side light. Let me know if you want the good passenger headlamp. I'll give you a good deal. 

SMOG: I kept the spray cans indoors until they were room temperature. 
I closed the big garage door and opened the door to the house and circulated the air for a while, and then painted in the garage. I was real careful to not put down too much paint.  The key is to put down a very thin coat first - just barely even enough to cover the work. Wait for that to get a little sticky and then start laying it on a little bit thicker. Let it set up for 30 seconds or 1 minute between passes. 

The temperature in the garage was probably around 65F. Wife and kids weren't home to complain about the smell, so after painting, I put the painted parts in the powder room with a space heater to get the temperature up to 90F or so, to speed drying. They were dry to the touch in about 3 hours. 

I would not attempt to paint at temperatures much below 60F and in high humidity. 

Edited by CORNERS - March/09/12 at 10:43pm
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/12 at 10:07pm
Love it!!! CORNERS is getting more and more bada$$
R.I.P.: "Zippy"-Hyper Blue Metallic/White 2005 R50."MINI-ME" plates. Side wing decals.

"Luna" - White Silver 2014 Roadster S. "RDSTER" plates.

"Aura" - Space Blue/Silver 2006 Cooper S.
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/12 at 9:42pm
Nice look.  I have a question about painting in cool / cold conditions - Doy you paint indoors, have a heated garage, or just not worry abut it?
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/12 at 9:39pm
Nice job Kurt!

What u gonna do with the old xenon? I kinda need the passenger side one;)

Stefano
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/12 at 9:24pm

I did a Joey mod to CORNERS today. 
The 2002-2004 Xenon headlamps are basically impossible to take apart without destroying them, so I ordered a set of 2005-06 headlamps. These easily come apart after sticking them in the over for about 10 minutes at 200F. 

Then paint. 
I didn't bother sanding. I just used a Krylon Plastic paint as the primer - it is fairly aggressive and slightly melts the chrome. We'll see if it holds up - but this part will have nothing touching it so it should be OK. 

When I put things back together, some goo got on the inside of one of the clear lenses. 
I tried to clean it off but things just went downhill. I couldn't get the lens sufficiently polished and the more I tried the worse it got. 

I gave up and used the lens from one of my original headlamps (which required destroying it). So it's not quite as pristine as the other one. There are a bunch of small rock chips. It will even out over time. 

It was about as difficult as I imagined. If you don't have a spare headlamp, just be careful putting things back together!!! 

Here's the pictures! 

Here's what he looks like when all done: 
IMG_1479.JPG

Waiting for the painted parts to dry... 
IMG_1463.JPG

He looks like he has two black eyes.... :-)
IMG_1465.JPG

This is what the headlamps look like on the inside
IMG_1466.JPG

I stuck them in the oven at 200F for about 10 minutes to pry them apart and to put them back together. 
IMG_1469.JPG

The finished product. 
IMG_1471.JPG

New eyes.
IMG_1474.jpg

The bottom light is the high beam and also functions under low power as daytime running lights. 
IMG_1477.jpg

Low beam Xenon. 
IMG_1478.jpg

Edited by CORNERS - March/09/12 at 10:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply