Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > How To Do It
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speedometer Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/12 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Kirby11 Kirby11 wrote:

Would putting the tint film on the faceplate instead of the lens cut down the glare problem?  Could you put film on the back of the faceplate to reduce the display lights? 

-Steph

All possibilities and I won't know until I get it apart.  Stay tuned.

S.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/12 at 9:50am
J:

Did you ever see any reference to removing an R-56 Speedo & Tach needle other than pulling them off with your fingers?

S.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/12 at 6:56am
Kurt:

Does this site have an English version?  I can see the Categories are in English but the rest is in Kanji.  Did I miss a toggle to take me to an English site translation?

http://www.duell.jp/index.html

Stephen

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/12 at 7:08am
J:

The tach needle would NOT budge by pulling straight up.  I tried everything except a slide hammer!  I did manage to get it off by putting the needle at the end of its rotation (up against its stops) and rotating it as I pulled up.  It came off without breaking that part of it but when I went to put it back on the needle was not as free rotating as it was prior to removal.  So, taking that tach needle off is a no no!

Before I tried taking the needle off I used an exacto knife (dull blade) and slit the gauge face below the needle so I could bend and lift the face off without messing up the needle, or the face.  It worked!  If I had used a new exato knife blade the cut would have been cleaner.  Since it was on the silver gauge face from the junkyard tach I thought it would be a good test, and it was.

Double sided sticky tape to hold the slit pieces together once the new face goes into the unit would help the face lay flat in the center.  With the junkyard tach I cut it while on the tach so the pressure from the knife might have deformed the plastic a bit making it want to not lay flat.  The new face will get slit with a new exacto blade and be done on a flat surface insuring it will stay flat!

Now to waite for the new faces to arrive...
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/12 at 8:27am
Hi. No English version. What are you interested in? I can translate or paraphrase for you...
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/12 at 8:49am
I was interested in thickness of the gauge faces.  Are they a vinyl overlay?  What do they cost? Do they make them for the R-56 2011+??

Thanks!

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/12 at 10:31am
Having a look at the web site. First of all, the price is $500 per gauge face. Secondly, they are set up for km/h. 
It doesn't say anything about thickness. 

Let me know if you want to ask anything.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/12 at 10:33am
Thanks Kurt.  That is way to spendy for me.  I am taking a leap of faith and getting the http://www.heiler-tachodesign.de/Speedometer-Disc-Mini-R55-MPH-to-KMH faces.

Thanks again for checking!

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/12 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

No taboos on those post Steph we like to see links that help. But they had R55 face plates http://www.heiler-tachodesign.de/Speedometer-Disc-Mini-R55-MPH-to-KMH

John:

I have tried several times to work with these people and their inability to deal in English is evident.  I have had to use Google translator to understand what they are saying.  I have contacted "Customer Support" and I get emails returned signed "Mfg."  I tried using their PayPal option and got nothing.  So, I asked them why I had received nothing and their response said:

Heiler-Tachodesign
Bernauer-Chaussee 11a
16356 Ahrensfelde OT Blumberg
E-Mail: Support@Heiler-Tachodesign.de
Internet: www.heiler-tachodesign.de
Hallo!
Wir werden nicht auf Ihre Links klicken und uns schon gar nicht anmelden.
Mfg.

-------Originalmeldung-------

Von: S.S.
Datum: 10.04.2012 14:56:51
An: Heiler-Tachodesign
Betreff: Re: Betreff: Re: Betreff: Question Shipping: von Stephen Sweeney

Mfg:

This transaction shows up in my PayPal account as "Unclaimed".

Check out the below information I have in regards to this matter.

Stephen Sweeney
--------

Transaction ID: 55S947755W754811V
Dear Stephen Sweeney,

You sent a payment for €132.50 EUR to Support@heiler-tachodesign.de.

Please note that it may take a little while for this payment to appear in the Recent Activity list on your Account Overview.

View the details of this transaction online

This payment was sent using your credit card.

For your future payments, try using Instant Transfer instead!

- Pay instantly and securely

- Faster than paying with checks

- Pay directly from your bank account - purchases won't show up on bills at the end of the month.
Your monthly account statement is available anytime; just log in to your account athttps://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_history. To correct any errors, please contact us through our Help Center at https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_contact_us.

Amount:    €132.50 EUR
Sent on:    April 3, 2012
Payment method:    Credit Card Payment
Subject line of your payment email:    This is a Payment
Message in your payment email:    This is payment for Order # 11227 for Stephen Sweeneyovrthhl@me.com email for answers to questions.
Sincerely,
PayPal

So if this transaction is a "FAKE" as you claim then how do you do business???

Stephen

On Apr 10, 2012, at 5:15 AM, Heiler-Tachodesign wrote:

<Heiler-Tachodesign_logo_claim_final2_versioin1.gif>

Heiler-Tachodesign
Bernauer-Chaussee 11a
Hallo!
PayPal hat uns mitgeteilt das Ihre Zahlung eine Fälschung ist.
Wir werden erst die Ware liefern wenn das Geld auf unserem Konto ist.
Mfg.

Von: S.S.
Datum: 03.04.2012 19:46:41
An: Heiler-Tachodesign
Betreff: Re: Betreff: Question Shipping: von Stephen Sweeney

Hello!

The funds were just sent.  I do not know why they did not get sent when the order was placed!??!!!??  I used PayPal so it should have gone through.

Do the gauge faces come with installation instructions??

Stephen

On Apr 3, 2012, at 8:54 AM, Heiler-Tachodesign wrote:

Heiler-Tachodesign
Bernauer-Chaussee 11a
Hallo!
Leider ist bis heute noch kein Geld bei uns eingegangen.
Mfg.

Von: Heiler-Tachodesign
Datum: 02.04.2012 22:57:50
An: Autozubehör Online-Shop
Betreff: Question Shipping: von Stephen Sweeney

Nachricht:
The below product was ordered. What is the status of it?

Thank you for order at Autozubehör Online-Shop.

Your order with the order number 11227 consists of the following items:

Speedometer Disc Mini R55 MPH to KMH
Shipping time: ca.7-10 Business days after Payment

Color of the Disc: Color of the Disc - Carbon Look - Black
Color of the Numbers and Scale: Color of the Numbers and Scale - Silver Metallic
Kph or Mph: Mph 1 120,00 EUR 120,00 EUR
Registered Letter 1 8,90 EUR 8,90 EUR
Fee +3.00% 1 3,60 EUR 3,60 EUR
including 19% VAT.: 21,16 EUR
Gesamtsumme: 132,50 EUR

Your billing address:
Herr Stephen Sweeney
446 Perry Ave. N.
98366-5157 Port Orchard
WA.
United States
Tel: 360-2xxxxxx

Email: ovrthhl@me.com

You have chosen the following payment option: PayPal

Yours sincerely,

Heiler-Tachodesign

Heiler-Tachodesign
Bernauer-Chaussee 11a
Deutschland
Tel.:
Heiler-Tachodesign.de
DE262868424

Anfrage von:
Mr Stephen Sweeney

Email: ovrthhl@me.com
Tel: 360-2xxxxxxx

Basically they said the site was a fake and they would not click on anything in it!!

I spoke with PayPal and also received notification from PayPal that the funds were that the funds were not retrieved by the seller and that the seller was "Unregistered".  It appears that they do not know what in the H%#* they are doing in The Fatherland.  Either they are lying or PayPal is lying and since I have never had any difficulties with PayPal I suspect The Fatherland.  I cancelled the order and told them I would be Posting my not so pleasant experience on as many web sites as possible.

Sooooo, back to square one on the speedo and tack faces.  I will probably just put a layer of tint BEHIND the instrument faces to darken the night lighting.  The color of the faces is another story/challenger.  The good thing is I am getting pretty comfortable in ripping the dash apart!!

S.

Edited by SMOG - April/10/12 at 1:18pm
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/12 at 1:31pm
Sorry about the Bad Luck S.

My UK contacts trust all there work to this guy you might try emailing him.
http://www.facebook.com/EssentialMINI
http://www.facebook.com/pages/EssentialMINI/209481102416967
http://essentialmini.co.uk/
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/12 at 1:34pm
A real English speaking web site!!! WOW, I was beginning to lose faith.  Do we (Americans) buy enough MINI's to have companies produce products like these??

Thanks John!!

Stephen

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/12 at 1:39pm
Your welcome , my friends say he has been doing speedo mods for almost 10 years.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/12 at 4:42am
I got email contact going and as of yesterday he has not produced the Gen 2 face plates.  He said "Very soon" he will have them.

Stay tuned...
Kirby11 View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/12 at 8:43am
Do you know which version of the Gen2s they're producing (<2011 or 2011+)?

Have you checked these guys out?  http://www.usspeedo.com/  Since there's apparently no one in the US doing Mini faces maybe they'd like to fill the void? 

Or if you're feeling crafty, here's instructions on how to make your own that looks interesting.  If I get a big chunk of free time I might try it with the tach.
http://www.revlimiter.net/mods/gauges.php

-Steph
2011 LB/W MCS "PINTSZE" (*SOLD*)
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/12 at 9:03am
It appears that the Revlimiter guys have an application process for overlay faces.

I sent an email to usspeedo to ask if they do MINI's.

Overlays could easily get in the way of needle movement.  After dismantling that tach I could see what was involved in swapping faces and the rather tight clearances involved.

I cut this face to remove from under the needle.  If it was a black face gauge face you never would see the slit, particularly if I have used a new Exacto blade!

Kirby11 View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/12 at 10:01am
If you already have the tach apart would you be willing to scan the face and email it to me? It would save me the step of tearing into my daily driver. Wink

How does the face look if you put tint film directly on the front of it? Or maybe that impede the needle too. Hmmm.

Dang this project is a thinker!Geek
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/12 at 10:40am
Scanning things and printing them to scale is tricky at best.  And since I do not own a scanner I would be entrusting the scanning to someone who has no such skills in getting an exact match.  I worked for a few engineering firms that did exactly that, they scanned drawings to exact scaled dimensions.

If I had a scanner I would be happy to do it for you but I do not own one.

Kirby11 View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/12 at 10:50am
No worries. Now I have a project for the next rainy weekend.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/12 at 11:28am
Kirby11:

I could mail you the face plate and you could scan it and then return the plate?

PM me with your contact information and I will send it, if you wish.

Stephen

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/12 at 5:11pm
This was Posted on MA so I thought it would fit in here.  These folks make the faces for Duell.

http://www.minimax-design.net/

Their site shows how they get the faces onto the oem faceplate.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12