Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Events > Events Archives > Drive / Events Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSticks and Stones Rally - Event Date: April/07/12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Sticks and Stones Rally
    Posted: March/16/12 at 1:00pm
Last year I ran the Winged Victory with Eric (Phydeaux) and we were taking to Ron (Chili-S) about a South King County run so between the two of us we came up with Sticks and Stones. 
The registration on 4/7/2012 at 9:00 am, with the first car out at 9:45. Our starting point is going to be in the parking lot of the Home Depot and Forza Coffee in Covington (27177 186th Avenue SE, Covington). From there, the route will be approximately 100 miles, traveling some of the more interesting roads of the area. We are also planning a mid rally stop, where there are restroom facilities, so getting coffee at the start is quite alright. You won't be in danger of having to come up with your own solution.

Also, please be sure to remember a clipboard or some other hard surface to write on, a pencil, and a co-driver who can write without getting queasy from writing while someone else is driving.
Let me know if your interested in partisipating in the rally.Drive

John (slyderone)

John 05 MCSC: Alta CAI, 15%, JCW Head and Injectors, RMW Street Cam, Jan Tune
(SLYDER1 plates)

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar…"       
vballkid77 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vballkid77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/12 at 1:54pm
I was reading about winged victory but was a little bit confused I guess, being new and all.  I would assume you wouldnt need to drive at a breakneck speed?  I guess whenever someone uses the term rally I think of a subaru midair off a dirt ramp landing and powersliding through a corner.  That or something like the Getaway in Stockholm videos where a car and driver that are a bit more than the local police could handle gets their attention and gives it a run.  Or is this more like a Hash Run event where the leader gives some kind of instructions that include some side paths that you may or may not get lost on (dead trails) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_House_Harriers
I mean im all up for a drive but I guess Im confused as to what it is?
'11 Justacooper Midnight black//JCW Crossbrace//Lowered on Konis/H&R springs//Konig wheels//DDMWorks intake//more on the way...
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/12 at 6:04pm
So the date for this is now revealed for those of us without the secret handshake.  It is on the same day as the rally put on by the FIAT club.  If this becomes an annual event we'll probably participate next year but we've already committed to the FIAT rally as a tuneup for the Tulip Rallye.

All of these rallies are slight variations of the Gimmick Rally, which is sort of like a scavenger hunt crossed with the TV show "The Amazing Race", although this type of rally predates that show of course.

At a gimmick rally you are given a set of directions, sometimes explicit ("Turn left on Marvin Road") and sometimes clue and observation based ("Turn left at your third opportunity" {dead ends don't count}) depending on the rally and who is putting it together.  These directions also have questions, sometimes answered with obvious observations ("What is on top of the Johnson's mailbox") and sometimes whimsical ("Make sure they don't fill your crankcase with cornbread here" {Answer: Jiffy Lube}).  The Jiffy Lube answer is what I could come up with on short notice, but you get the idea.  Most question and answer sheets have a few paragraphs about the area you are driving through and sometimes an answer is hidden in there.  Be sure to read the Q and A sheets carefully and fully before setting out; there can be a hidden question at the end ("How many bridges did you cross on the course?").

The Winged Victory Rally has observation based directions and obvious questions and answers; the Tulip Rallye has obvious directions and more whimsical questions.  Neither rally switches it up during the course.  I don't know how the Sticks and Stones or FIAT Club rallye will handle directions and questions.

This type of rally is scored from the question and answer sheet first and in the event of a tie the team with the distance closest to (but not under) the course distance wins; the team with the shortest time out is the winner if a third tiebreaker is needed.  So you can see that speed will not help you; in fact it will hinder you because you will drive past the clues and directions too fast.

Here's a link to the last club newsletter that was put out; it contains an article we wrote about competing in rallies:

Rallymasters: Feel free to weigh in about my observations on this post-

Bruce

Edited by valvashon - March/16/12 at 6:06pm
...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
Slyderone View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/12 at 10:04am
Thanks Bruce,  That sounds about right.
(SLYDER1 plates)

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/12 at 11:58am
So many things going on this weekend, to bad we already have plans.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Spider Driver View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spider Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/12 at 3:33pm
The Fiat club's Spring Tuneup Rally is basically conducted like the MG club's Tulip Rallye.

We started doing this back in the 90's as a practice for the Tulip Rallye.  We use turn-by-turn route instructions, which have no tricks, and questions are mixed in.  Most answers are found along the route, but we did add trivia when the MG club did.

The answers to the questions will be found, if the rallymaster has not screwed-up, along the route between the two turn instructions.  Meaning that if you arrive at the next turn without finding the answer you missed it somewhere.  But like I implied sometimes the rallymaster makes a mistake, so everyone dumps on him when we correct the answers at the restaurant. 

Thanks,

Bert
President
Fiat Enthusiasts Northwest
Bert Cripe
Tulip Rallye Co-chair
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/12 at 8:31pm
One important note. These rallies are intended to be driven at legal (or lower) speeds. It's a nice calm drive through the country with some interesting challenges for the driver and copilot. I've done a few of these (with Jason/SuperCoop) - they can be a lot of fun! 
Slyderone View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/12 at 1:56pm
bump

Edited by Slyderone - April/01/12 at 5:19pm
(SLYDER1 plates)

Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/12 at 9:27am
Is anyone making this?  I forgot all about it and plan to check with my social coordinator.

Todd

2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
vballkid77 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vballkid77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/12 at 11:31am
So do me and my "copilot" just show up day of or would I need to register somewhere?
'11 Justacooper Midnight black//JCW Crossbrace//Lowered on Konis/H&R springs//Konig wheels//DDMWorks intake//more on the way...
Slyderone View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/12 at 4:04pm
No cost for this first Sticks and Stones one just show up around 9:00 for registration Home Depot and Forza Coffee in Covington (27177 186th Avenue SE, Covington) I am sure you will see around 8 or 9 Min's
Sorry so late getting back I've been on Jury Duty the last week.

Edited by Slyderone - April/05/12 at 4:06pm
(SLYDER1 plates)

Slyderone View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/12 at 5:11pm
Looking forward to the run tomorrow hope to see anyone interested...
(SLYDER1 plates)

Slyderone View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/12 at 5:25pm
Had a great day only a few miss directions but all had fun...
(SLYDER1 plates)

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/12 at 6:54pm
A great day for MINIs that don't have roofs! 

Post Reply Post Reply