Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > How To Do It
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power steering pump R&R

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power steering pump R&R
    Posted: August/02/12 at 4:48pm
Less a how-to and more a what did my pump look like.  Anybody who has worked on an electrical motor will appreciate these pictures:

Even still assembled you can see the wear on the commutator

Pulled apart you can see how worn the brushes are.  There's a great how-to over on MINI2 about how to pull the motor and pump apart; these brushes are about 1/3 as long as the ones in the picture over at MINI2.

Wide shot of the armature

Close up of the extreme wear.  If I get my core charge back for this Power Steering Pump I'll be surprised.  When I got it back together I noticed that the brushes weren't really even riding on the commutator any more- this motor had plain worn out and stopped turning.

I ordered a remanufactured one on eBay and I sure hope the commutator isn't this worn out.  I originally pulled it apart to blow out the dust that is supposed to clog things up, increase friction, etc., but dust wasn't the issue on this one.  I am surprised at how worn the motor is; Stacie's car only has 93k on it.  Like with the CVT's, ZF seems to be cutting corners and making things that don't last.

As far as removing and replacing the power steering pump, it's pretty easy and straightforward.  There's a good guide over at NAM (I think it's in the "Power steering pump about time" thread in stock problems).  It's a messy job and you will spill some hydraulic fluid on yourself and the floor.  Don't forget the new clamp for the hose and some CHF-11S fluid (available at O'Riellys).

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/12 at 5:04pm
Bruce - You should save posting this kind of scary stuff until closer to Halloween! 
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/12 at 4:49am
Is this an example of French engineering?  That wear is terrible!!!!!ILL

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/12 at 9:11am
I took apart the alternator for my 1993 Land Cruiser project car with 301,000 miles on it... the brushes were completely worn but the armature didn't look anywhere near that bad... 
I just replaced the brushes ($4.99 at O'Reilly's) and put the thing back together. Good for another 300,000 miles.  
 Post Reply Post Reply