Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about the 2013 Mini

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownPenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about the 2013 Mini
    Posted: September/17/12 at 6:05pm
We have a bluetooth enabled 2013 Mini Cooper S (hardtop).  Our voice activation button on the steering wheel does not work.  

First we were told that there was a problem on the assembly line with the first round of 2013s. Once the part was in it would be fixed.  Now we are being told that it never had that feature in the first place.  We still love our car, we just think it is odd that that story changed.  

So I was wondering if anyone else had this kind of experience with the Mini 2013?  
This is our first Mini.  

ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/12 at 6:17pm
On your Monroney sticker it needs to list "Bluetooth and USB/iPod adaptor" as an option for that to work.
BrownPenny View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownPenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/12 at 7:19pm
Thanks for the response.  It says that exactly "Bluetooth and USB/iPod adaptor".  We just happened to have saved it.  Our phone works with bluetooth as expected, we just can't use the voice activation button. Bluetooth is standard for all the 2013 models.  The button has never worked, the sales person was the one to point it out to us.
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/12 at 7:44pm
I'll do some more digging but right now I'm thinking the dealer is wrong. You can also call MINI USA for clarification.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownPenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/12 at 7:46pm
Thanks.  I did not think of that.  
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/12 at 8:49pm
The question is did you pay for it, in some cars did not have the proper boxes checked for construction and the voice activation module and wiring doesn't get installed. My last Mini had the button but wasn't a ordered option so it did not have voice activation through the multi use wheel. If this was a option that you didn't pay for and it didn't get installed here is a neither option. TALK
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownPenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/12 at 5:59am
Good information.  Thanks, unfortunately we have no idea what we paid for.  Bluetooth was standard for 2013.  We had no idea that voice would be extra.  And the sales person thought we had it.  According to the website http://www.miniusa.com/bluetooth is very cryptic.  And no mention of voice activation at all when you build the mini.  Kind of hard to order when you have no idea how to order or that you should order.  Again my curiosity was around the sales person telling us it was broken and then being told it was disabled for all 2013 models.  But what you said seems right.  Thanks again. 
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownPenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/12 at 6:02am
Oh... this is what the sales person wrote.
I just want to keep you informed, this is the latest information we received from MINI.
The voice command feature for 2013 has actually been deleted and was not activated on purpose for the 2013 cars.

We were just informed there is no longer a patch / fix coming from MINI for this part of the Bluetooth system.

PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/12 at 8:29am
It might be part of MINI Connected now. Do you have MINI Connected? I'm still trying to track down a real answer from somewhere. Did you try 1866-ASK-MINI (I think that's the number).
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/12 at 9:14am
Why would they remove a feature? Was it not performing correctly? 
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/12 at 9:22am
I have it in my 2012 and I don't have the MINI connected. Don't know why they would discontinue it. Not that I find it terribly useful, but it is handy sometimes.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/12 at 9:47am
From my readings they did change something in 2013, this only is affecting 2013's, as there are a lot of reports of that button no longer working. The only, somewhat, consistent trend of it working is those that have MINI Connected.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/12 at 10:22am
Ryan that was my take on it too for 2013. 

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/12 at 10:25am
Kurt it works just fine.

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownPenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/12 at 4:18pm
We got an answer. For 2013 models Mini has discontinued the Voice Dial feature, unless you have purchased MINI Connected.  MINI did not notify any of the dealers of this change.  So the dealers have had the joy of dealing with unhappy customers.  Anyway MINI is trying to make nice by providing a $500 credit or a visor Bluetooth module.  So at least we know what is really going on.  Thanks for your input everyone
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/12 at 4:25pm
Thanks for following up!

Honestly.. I never use mine because it's such a PITA to program. I only hit the button to answer the phone and hang up. I assume that still works.

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownPenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/12 at 4:34pm
Yes, the phone button still works.  Otherwise what is the point?  :)  We are leaning towards the $500 credit.  Thanks again for your help.  
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/12 at 7:14pm
Take the 500 dollars the bluetooth visor is only worth about 60 dollars

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/12 at 7:16pm
There is no programing with mine but you need to know all the voice commands. I guess they want everyone to get Mini Connects

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownPenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/12 at 7:24pm
One more update.  The Dealer just contacted me.  Apparently, there was a huge up roar across the USA from all the mini dealers. Everyone is upset over this and the engineers are trying to fix the problem.  
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/12 at 8:08pm
Not sure how they will fix it because it's my understanding the if not ordered with Mini Connect it doesn't have the right wire loom. I was going to ask you , do you have a round disc about the size of a 50 cent piece on the right side of steering column behind the wiper control back by the tach.

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownPenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/12 at 5:23pm
So I finally checked I did not see the round disc that you are talking about.   So it will be interesting to see what they do.  
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/12 at 1:14am
You going to be at the car show Sunday?

jhull413 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhull413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/12 at 5:29am
I had the same situation with my 2013 S Roadster which came with Bluetooth and USB/iPod adaptor and was delivered mid August.  The dealer was familiarizing me with the controls, etc and tried to set up the Voice Activation.  When she couldn't get it to work, she said "Oh yeah, they left that off the 2013 models and there would be an update coming soon.  I called the dealer mid September to check on the update and was told they were just notified that day by MINI USA that Voice Activation had been discontinued on all 2013 models.  I complained by email to the dealer and they suggested I contact MINI USA Customer Service through the web site.  I did that a couple of days ago asking that they either make the funtion operative or compensate me for the lack of it.  I haven't received a response yet.  Believe it or not, the thing that bothers me most is that there is a Voice Activation button on the steering wheel that is totally inoperative.  How do I explain that to a prospective buyer when I want to sell the car?  This is my first experience with MINI and it has not left a good taste in my mouth.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownPenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/12 at 4:37pm
Just saw this.  We did not make it.  We are going on the Oct 6th/7th event.  
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownPenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/12 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by jhull413 jhull413 wrote:

I had the same situation with my 2013 S Roadster which came with Bluetooth and USB/iPod adaptor and was delivered mid August.  The dealer was familiarizing me with the controls, etc and tried to set up the Voice Activation.  When she couldn't get it to work, she said "Oh yeah, they left that off the 2013 models and there would be an update coming soon.  I called the dealer mid September to check on the update and was told they were just notified that day by MINI USA that Voice Activation had been discontinued on all 2013 models.  I complained by email to the dealer and they suggested I contact MINI USA Customer Service through the web site.  I did that a couple of days ago asking that they either make the funtion operative or compensate me for the lack of it.  I haven't received a response yet.  Believe it or not, the thing that bothers me most is that there is a Voice Activation button on the steering wheel that is totally inoperative.  How do I explain that to a prospective buyer when I want to sell the car?  This is my first experience with MINI and it has not left a good taste in my mouth.

This is also our first experience. It has been disappointing.  I agree with you on the dead button.  I would have preferred to pay for the Bluetooth package rather then making it standard and taking functionality away. I don't need or want Connected and I would never have paid $750 to get that button activated.  

Additionally our sales person did not know it was deactivated, so we spent an extra 2 hours at the dealer trying to get it fixed.  Turned out to be a huge waste of time.    
rockystone View Drop Down
PSMINI Sponsor
PSMINI Sponsor
Seattle MINI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockystone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/12 at 6:12pm

I hope I can shed some light on this for you guys...

When the 2013 were first launched the Voice Activation was going to be part of the model line up.  After the cars had arrived we noticed that this function was missing.  MINI USA was informed and they set off on their merry way to find out what the issue was, issuing a statement that all would be well and they were sure it was an easy fix.  We informed our customers that were missing this aspect that help was on the way.

MINI's worldwide HQ is in Germany and all the global product decisions are made there.  They decided that the Voice Activation was not going to be installed because frankly the technology in this unit was not performing well.  This information was gleaned from the JD Power Initial Quality Surveys that were filled out by MINI customers.  They did not inform the US team in time for the release of the new models.  We re contacted our customers and explained this new information -

We expressed our frustration on behalf of our valued customers, letting MINI know that we all felt our reputation was now in question, especially since it appeared we were making this stuff up.

Today, I have learned that MINI is working on a retro fit for those customers that expected it and never got it.  The time frame will be the first part of 2013.  I know this is not ideal and not the MINI way of doing things, all I can say is that MINI messed up and we inadvertently involved our US customers in this mess.  For this we at Seattle MINI are sorry.

Richard Stone
GSM
Seattle MINI (HQ)
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/12 at 8:03pm
Thanks for the update Rocky.

For the record, not sure what the problem is mine works a lot better then the voice control in the gen 1s. What helped was relocating the mic. I would guess a lot are from before the relocation and all the noise that came from the overhead location and mic type.

As I said we are very happy with its proformance and functionality.

John Friend

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownPenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/12 at 8:46pm
Thank you Rocky.  I appreciate the update.  Our sales person has been great at keeping us in the loop.  We figure when there is a resolution we'll here about it.  We are very happy with our car.  It was an unfortunate surprise and Seattle MINI has been great.  We know that everyone is doing what they can to resolve the issue.  
dpedck77095 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpedck77095 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/13 at 1:38pm
I have a 2013 coupe and when the car was delivered in May we discovered the voice feature was missing.  i was told that there was a problem and a fix was in the works.  Five months later I was told that the fix was available and they installed it on a few cars.  I wanted to bring it in immediately but they said I should wait for a loaner car.
It took three weeks to get a loaner.  On 10/8/2013, the day before I was scheduled to pick up the loaner, I was told they discontinued the software update the previous Thursday,  I have been going around in circles with their corporate office for the last three weeks.  I have been given no reasonable explanation.
What is strange is that my wife has a 2013 Countryman and the bluetooth voice activation works fine,  Neither car has the connect option.
My daughter wants to get a mini.  The way they resolve this will determine whether or not she purchases a mini or a different car!
The dealership and the corporate rep have all been very polite and understanding of my unhappiness with this.  Their hands are tied because corporate engineering controls the software.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>