Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about the 2013 Mini

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
PSMINI Sponsor
PSMINI Sponsor
Seattle MINI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockystone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/13 at 2:07pm
I will look into this right away.  Thanks.
Richard Stone
GSM
Seattle MINI (HQ)
rockystone View Drop Down
PSMINI Sponsor
PSMINI Sponsor
Seattle MINI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockystone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/13 at 2:09pm
I will get to the bottom of this...thanks.

Richard Stone
GSM
Seattle MINI
Richard Stone
GSM
Seattle MINI (HQ)
FRED ADT View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FRED ADT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/13 at 11:01am
My wife's 2013 Mini has the same problem with the voice control button namely it does not do anything.
After spending a lot of time trying to bring it to life we left it to the dealership to figure out what is wrong. Likewise they spent some time on it and obviously in desperation eventually claimed 'you don't have this feature' but did not know what feature needs to be ordered. From what has transpired from this forum it appears Mini deactivated the feature, eliminated reference to it in the user guide, but left everybody in the dark about it. The Germans have an adjective for sneaking a rotten egg into your shopping basket without letting you know about it  which is 'hinterfurzig'. Well, what help is this to you? Maybe don't waste further time in trying to make it work because it doesn't.

BrownPenny View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownPenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/13 at 10:18pm
Our 2013 had the same problem.  In fact I think I'm the one who started the thread for this discussion.  We were able to get it fixed back in May, it took two days as they had to reprogram the car's firmware, but it does work now.  Seattle Mini was wonderful and helpful, we just had to be persistent. Now it sounds like they Corporate (not Seattle Mini) is no longer supporting the fix?
Bojangles View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bojangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/13 at 11:10am
Thanks, BrownPenny for shedding light on a rather interesting issue - NO VOICE ACTIVATION for the "hands-free" Bluetooth we thought we had with our 2104 MINI Cooper S Countryman - All 4. We too were advised by the dealer that a "software" update is forthcoming ... when, who knows?Cry

What is more interesting is that when I contacted the Mini USA "customer service" folks, both representative and his supervisor never knew about this "voice activation" issue. However, they were unable to assure me that I would ever get a "call back" from someone who may "know" about this issue; they could only take down my comments and "pass it along" to someone....

Frankly, I am going approach the local news media to see if they may be interested in having an "investigative" reporter look into this issue to shed some "light" on it. Unfortunately, unless the media gets involved this issue will remain in the dark. Not a  "happy" first-time MINI buyer experience.

Again, great comments.   Clap
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/13 at 5:18pm
I am sick of the German car manufacturers. The same poor design that led to the recall of 2003 thru 2005 Minis for the power steering pump is on the 2006 model.  Recall?  No.  Same thing for the recalled CVT on the Coopers.  Up thru 2005 - covered.  Same tranny for 2006?  Not covered.  Our dealers in the area are great to work with and I really feel for the service advisors who have to deal with us unhappy 2006 owners.  I am going thru my 2006 JCW replacing everything that has been or might be a problem and then I am selling it.  German manufacturers suck.  Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/13 at 5:15am
Pat, although I understand your frustration I do not think the issues are solely German.  I bought a new 1994 GMC 3/4Ton Suburban 4x4 with all the bells and whistles.  When it worked it worked great, with the exception that the drivers seat was 1" offset from being in line with the steering wheel.  It took several very long drives to figure out why I felt uncomfortable.  But the main issue was similar to yours, defects that were not acknowledged by the manufactirer.

The ABS was terrible and worked when it wanted to and not when it was necessary.  I cannot tell you how many red lights, stop signs I cruised through, not to mention the wrecks that ensued!  The NHTSA site under Customer Complaints quickly showed that from 1993 through 1995 or 6 that the brakes were a big issue.  With hundreds of formal complaints they did nothing.  With a Class Action Lawsuit they got it dismissed.  AFTER the warranty expired I managed to scare the hell out of a Service Manager in a parking lot when I reproduced the brake failure at 30mph, and his comment after his mechanics looked at it was "them seem to be working normally".

No, it is not just the Germans.  I unplugged the ABS brake control unit and drove it without ABS for several more years, very successfully and predictably, before trading it in (after reconnecting that lovely ABS unit).

Edited by SMOG - December/31/13 at 5:19am
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Th3Stig View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Th3Stig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/13 at 1:23pm
Interesting subject, car company business practices and engineering. I don't think it's well understood how challenges like lighter but safer, fewer cylinders but more powerful and more environmental, more bells and whistles but easily fixable have conspire to dump so many issues on the table for consumers. Plus moving from making a profit selling a new car towards making a profit over the entire life of the vehicle with parts and so forth.   Feels like we are slowly being moved into the position where leases are the way to hedge against financial exposure, with all the strings that come along with that.
Mini-less for the time being.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11 CM S All4 Cosmic Blue. 32k
'08 MC 6spd Mellow Yellow. 112k
'09 MCSa Mellow Yellow. 43k
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/13 at 6:09pm
There is something to be said for testing a vehicle thoroughly before turning it loose on the unsuspecting or uneducated public.  In another incident I had a Ford dealership sell me a 3/4T van that they had rebadged as a 3/4T that was actually a 1/2T.  That was a dealer issue not a manufacturer issue.

The fact that dipsticks are disappearing from engines are another sign that the customer is to not be responsible for their actions but instead rely upon the corporation.

And then, cars that drive themselves??!!!??  Further disconnect from consumer responsibility, like learning how to drive and put down the cellphone, burger, makeup and razor...  God forbid one should take responsibility for one's own actions.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12