Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Events > PSMINI Events and Drives
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Changes to Events area of the forums are complete.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changes to Events area of the forums are complete.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changes to Events area of the forums are complete.
    Posted: April/24/13 at 3:36pm
Changes to the Events area of the forums are coming!

Did you know the Events area of the forum is made up of 11 different sub-forums? Well, now you don't have to because we are consolidating all 11 down to 2.

In January the board evaluated how each sub-forum was being used. We found a few that had not been used in over 2 years! This set was the first to be marked for consolidation or removal and that quickly left us with 7 to evaluate.

Of the 7 remaining we took a look at those that were generating duplicate posts. Most of these duplicate posts were concentrated between the Event Calendar, Drive/Events/Suggestions, Charity Events, and Get Togethers - Puget Sound so we decided to consolidate those. That took us from 7 down to 4 (4 into 1).

The remaining four forums were the 2 left after consolidation, Out of Area Events, and Event Feedback. Event Feedback and Out of Area Events provided the most discussion and I'd like to share those discussions with everyone.

- Out of Area
What is an out of area event? That's the question that started our discussion. The easy answer is "it's an event that isn't within a PSMINI area". Well, then you have to define what is the geographic area that is PSMINI? We decided there was no answer to that question. PSMINI does not have a geographic area with regard to events. If you like the way the club operates and you want to support it then we'd love to have you as a member. Members are the ones who organize events and we don't want to limit our members imaginations by restricting their ideas to some geographic boundary. PSMINI has traveled all over WA, OR, NV, CO, CA and more. Who knows where we will end up in the future? With no definition for "out of area" we decided to consolidate the "Out of Area" forum.

- Event Feedback
This one is very near and dear to my heart and I will paste here exactly what I sent the board when I asked them to consider this forum for consolidation.
     Events are living/breathing/evolving entities. They are born when the event is announced, they grow as people sign-up, they mature by the feedback, and we bid them farewell as people stop posting in the thread. I feel very strongly that the life of an event should be self-contained. Letting an event live in two (or more in some instances) different places is confusing; especially a year or more later. For this reason I feel all event feedback goes into the event announcement itself. It makes the event easy to find, easy to provide feedback, and a year or more later you get the entire life of an event in one thread. But isn't it hard to find the feedback? No, because we will be putting a link to the exact page where feedback starts in the announcement itself at the conclusion of an event.

So, what does that leave us with?

* PSMINI Events and Drives
* You Create It and Name It

Sometime in May (still working on an exact maintenance window) we will be locking the existing forums and moving all active/current posts into one of PSMINI Events and Drives or You Create It and Name It. No posts will be lost and we will do this over a weekend and into an evening so as not to disturb you too much. The goal is not to lose any posts.

Is this the perfect forum set-up? Time will tell us that and we believe, with everything club related, it's an evolving process. We want to try this 2 forum approach for a while and see what people think. If it isn't working we'll make adjustments. We look forward to your feedback.

Ryan S. McClune
PSMINI President

Update: The changes will be happing on the evening of Tuesday 5/7.

Edited by ipeverywhere - May/07/13 at 7:29pm
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/13 at 3:41pm
I like it. I have stopped trying to use the forum list because there are way too many forums to find stuff. I tend to just use the "new Posts" link. Getting the list down to a usable number is great.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/13 at 5:27pm
I'm all for making things less complicated and easier to access and use. My only concern would have been that event posts get very long, and adding the Feedback into the original post could make it really, really long. BUT, it sounds like you will solve that by having a link to go directly to the Feedback. That should work. Thumbs Up

valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/13 at 7:37pm
I personally like having a separate feedback forum for the exact reason GenieB mentioned.  And a separate "Out Of Area" forum would be good for events that are out of the area and not organized by PSMINI.

Yes, we do go out of the area- as far as Goldendale, the Tri Cities, Winthrop, Troutdale- but those are PSMINI events.  I feel that the "Out Of Area" forum should stay and be used for discussion of events that are national or hosted by other clubs out of the area.  Events such as AMVIV, Mini Meet West, Mini's in the Mountains, anything put on by PDX MINI.  A forum for casual discussion of when it is, who might be going from the area, etc.  These won't be PSMINI or "you name it" events so a separate forum would be the right place for discussion of them.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/13 at 7:45pm
+1 Bruce
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/13 at 8:03pm
-10 Bruce and Jack. There are 2 threads in the out of area forum that have posts in the last 6 months. That doesn't justify its existence. 

Actually with the amount of traffic on the site these days. I can't see any justification for more than one forum "MINI Talk". We just don't have the volume.

Edited by garumph - April/24/13 at 8:17pm
Gordon
Flames, '05 MC Black
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/13 at 9:30pm
Besides the fact, we have had 8 posts today in 51 forums. That is really a waste.

ok,  9 now, and most of them are mine. Unhappy

Edited by garumph - April/24/13 at 9:51pm
Gordon
Flames, '05 MC Black
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/13 at 7:37pm
Thank you everyone for your feedback. Some good discussion and debate. With AMVIV coming up the best time the "WebMasters" could find to make these changes is the evening of the 7th.

So, maintenance will be happening on Tuesday May 7th starting at 17:30 and completing about 19:30. Expect periodic periods of wonkiness (yes, wonkiness is a technical term) during the maintenance window. Actually, our elite WebMaster Roy has done a fabulous job of testing and confirming the steps needed to complete the consolidation. Because of his work pre-planning the shift, we are able to keep the time needed to a minimum. We'll post here letting you know when all changes are completed and you can return to your normally scheduled broadcast .

Additionally, because of your feedback, we will be keeping an "Out Of Area" forum. We'd like to see more traffic to this area of the forums so we'll be actively posting details of events from all over the country and world for you to discuss. If nothing else, it will give you an idea of what other clubs are doing.

Again, thanks again and we appreciate your support.
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/13 at 7:28pm
The work is completed. If you see anything out of place please let us know here.
 Post Reply Post Reply