Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welding Job

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welding Job
    Posted: May/17/13 at 10:45am
Anyone has the ability to weld an exhaust? I wanna de-cat but it's illegal so no shop wants to do the job.

Thanks

Stefano
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
Slyderone View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/13 at 7:49pm
can't weld but you could keep your cat header and get a racing header on ebay for around $200+/- or I think you could break out the innards of the cat.
Just spit balling.
John 05 MCSC: Alta CAI, 15%, JCW Head and Injectors, RMW Street Cam, Jan Tune
(SLYDER1 plates)

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar…"       
italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/13 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Slyderone Slyderone wrote:

can't weld but you could keep your cat header and get a racing header on ebay for around $200+/- or I think you could break out the innards of the cat.
Just spit balling.

How do I break the innards of the cat?

2013 GP

Slyderone View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/13 at 7:50am
I am in no way an expert though... and I do not know if there could be any repercussions and I have not looked at the Mini but in the old days a piece of rebar would do it.
(SLYDER1 plates)

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/13 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Slyderone Slyderone wrote:

I am in no way an expert though... and I do not know if there could be any repercussions and I have not looked at the Mini but in the old days a piece of rebar would do it.

i see what you mean. It seems difficult to do it on the clubman since the pipes are not straight.

2013 GP

DneprDave View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DneprDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/13 at 4:24pm
Catalytic converters are expensive, I'd buy a catless downpipe and keep your cat on a shelf in case you want to return it to stock. No welding required, unbolt your catalytic converter and bolt in the catless downpipe.

A mini Catalytic converter costs over $900, A catless downpipe costs anywhere from $200 to $500, depending on what it's made of and build quality.

Dave
Chili red/ Black roof 2010 Clubman S automatic transmission.

Shadetree mechanic
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/13 at 7:23pm
Stefano - why would you want to do this?  You might find that you create more problems than you fix.  The catalyst in today's cars is part of a system.  By breaking it out, you will be creating a new set of difficult to fix problems.  Your fuel injection will be off, I doubt any reputable shop will want to help you with your car and you will be stuck with an expensive repair.  Before you do this, talk to Jan or Way or any of the other tuners.  They will ALL tell you to not do this.  You won't even be able to get the car licensed, and it will have a HUGE negative effect on resale.

Don't do this...

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/13 at 10:52am
+1 for Pat. While cat-less operation is acceptable for racing applications, driving a street car without a cat is illegal. Running without a cat, your check engine light will be permanently on with a P0420 code. You will not pass emissions with the check engine light on. 

If you really want to do this, you should get two headers, one with a cat and one without, and swap back to the catted header a few weeks before emissions inspection. But be aware that it is illegal. 

If you just want the car to make more noise, there are other ways to do it without being illegal. 
Slyderone View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/13 at 3:11pm
+1 Kurt +1 Pat
I would spend the $$ and not cut or break out besides the code light would drive me crazy.
(SLYDER1 plates)

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/13 at 3:21pm
alright, alright! :)

Thanks guys!

2013 GP

SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/13 at 10:23am
Stefano, I'm selling a gutted header/cat assembly if you want that spare for racing =)
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/13 at 11:49am
Stefano has a Clubman now so it won't fit...
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/13 at 12:47pm
Aaaah, ok
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/13 at 10:14pm
;)

2013 GP

Post Reply Post Reply