Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Switchblade style key: special offer for members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Switchblade style key: special offer for members

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Switchblade style key: special offer for members
    Posted: September/13/13 at 5:38pm
And by members, I mean anybody who posts on the forums here at PSMINI.

Some of you may remember that I posted a how-to several years ago about refurbishing your first generation "Clamshell" style key.  I've used North American Motoring and other forums that cover a broader geographic area to help other MINI owners and take on some of the trickier refurbishing jobs, for a small fee of course.

I recently got a request to transfer a key into a new style key shell, one where the key blade flips open.  MINI didn't make such a key but it was developed aftermarket.  I obtained a quantity of shells from "Joan", my contact at the Chinese aftermarket key factory, and did some research about how this process would take place.  The original requestor seemingly has lost interest, so here's where you come in:

If you have the original style "Clamshell" key (used from 2002-2004 and seen on the left) and are interested in changing it over to a flip-open key (seen on the right) I can make you this special offer:  
You will get a flip key shell and a new battery for your remote for my cost and free labor to move your key components into the flip key.  This will be very reasonable, however, you will have to pay for the locksmith to cut the flip key blade, since it's not possible to move the blade over.  The locksmith has never cut a MINI key but has the specialized cutter to do so.  Your price to be my/our guinea pig: $35 plus tax, and you have to be able to come over to West Seattle or lend me your car.  Plus, it's risk free- if this blade does not open your door and work your ignition you don't have to pay.  If it does, you get a cool new key and can keep your clamshell key to open your doors in an emergency!

I would do this, but I kind of like my clamshell key.  I do, however, need to know if this locksmith can cut this style blade correctly before I offer these keys to a wider audience.  So if you want to help a growing business (website coming soon!) and get a great deal on this type of key shell, let me know!

OK- so I've had the locksmith here in West Seattle cut a couple of these switchblade style keys and they work just fine.  I'll still do the labor for free for PSMINI posters (at least those who can meet me in West Seattle or want to mail it to me and have a Washington State address- no carpetbaggers!).  This goes for switchblade or clamshell style keys.  You'll only be on the hook for the shell, battery and microswitches if you need them.  

Thanks-

Bruce

P.S.- this if for MINIs made between 2002 and 2004 only.  If you have the flatter, three button key or the new round fob thing that isn't really a key the components can't be transferred to this style of shell.  If you need help with your three button key I have discovered a place that will work on them- contact me for more details.

Edited by valvashon - June/04/14 at 8:49am
...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/13 at 6:25pm
I actually like my clamshell key as well. The rounded sides fit well in my pocket, but good luck with finding a guinea pig. 
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/13 at 8:47pm
This is awesome! Makes me wish I had an early R53.
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/13 at 12:08pm
sob sob..I used to have one...
New 2013 Clubby S - JCW Engine tune - JCW Brake Kit - JCW Exhaust - JCW Cold Air Intake - Lowered - Racing Wheels
leatherneck152 View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leatherneck152 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/14 at 2:12pm
I might be interested
I live in west Seattle
I'm off Sunday through Tuesday
Soon2be1 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soon2be1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/15 at 8:44pm

Bruce,

I received your email and will send out the key this week once I pick up my general key from NW MINI. Thanks again and look forward to a kick a$$ flip out key!

Post Reply Post Reply