Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Shopping Mall > MINI Marketplace
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'02-'04: Switchblade keys now available

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '02-'04: Switchblade keys now available
    Posted: October/09/13 at 2:08pm
A few of you might be familiar with the MINI key repair I do way way over on the side.  Doubling your choices if your original clamshell type key is worn out, I recently stocked up on these from my Chinese supplier:

Above is an aftermarket switchblade or flip style key that is now available for the first generation MINIs with the clamshell style key.  Our cars did not come with this style when new, somebody took it upon themselves to design this from scratch as far as I can tell.  The buttons have a good feel, the internal moldings hold the circuit board and EWS chip nicely and it's held together with three screws.  It is quite well done- if not I wouldn't offer it as an option.

Here is the blade flipped out.  It's shorter than the clamshell key when folded up but slightly longer when open.  It's sturdy and definitely heavier than the clamshell keys.

It had to come apart to have the blade cut at the locksmith here in West Seattle.  If you want this done to your key I can swap the components out in short order after the blade is cut, probably over a cup of tea somewhere nearby.  The only drawback I can see is minor- if the battery ever needs to be changed again the spring and button have to be put back in again just so in order to make the blade flip open properly.  These batteries can last 7-10 years, though, so that shouldn't be much of a concern.

I've got switchblade style and clamshell style shells in stock as well as replacement board mounted button switches and batteries, all in stock here at the MINI Key Hospital.  For this treatment, the shell would be $15, the battery would be $5 and I'll waive the labor for local forum members if your key is in otherwise good shape.  You'll pay the locksmith $38 to cut your blade as your existing blade can't be transferred over.  The good news is that you will then have a key to stash away in your sock drawer that can at least be used to open the door if you somehow lock your keys inside your car!

PM me (Dr. Bruce) if you need some work done on your 2002-2004 key.  If you have a three button key I can't work on them but have found some places that can.

Bruce

Edited by valvashon - October/09/13 at 2:19pm
...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
leatherneck152 View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leatherneck152 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/14 at 1:14pm
Thank you again Bruce
The key works perfect
Claywiltre View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claywiltre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/14 at 4:36pm
Bruce do you still have the R53 carbon key? I couldn't find the post...
Thanks,
Clay!
(803)361-5420
ClayWilTre!
 Post Reply Post Reply