Forum Home Forum Home > Autocross and Racing > Performance Driving/Track Days
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feb 1 Track Day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feb 1 Track Day
    Posted: January/27/14 at 3:44pm
Several of us are going yo take advantage of the Winter Track day at Pacific Raceways this Saturday February 1st. At this point we have my R56 "Justa", BurnerS II and Jeff Waibel and his Coupe. Who else is in? Weather is looking good and the price is right. Check it out and join us...

http://pacificraceways.com/Schedule/14-02-01/High_Performance_Sport_Driving.aspx

'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/14 at 4:00pm
Mr. Wildfamily,
Can you please describe the event a bit for those that have never done a track day? The format of the day, any prior certs/classes required, anything needed on the car like safety inspection, etc.?

Thanks!
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/14 at 7:32pm
Damn, I need a new clutch, so I won't be able to do anything like this in the MINI for a while  =(
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/14 at 7:48pm
Darn, I might have to use a wife free pass for this.
There are novice, seasoned driver and race groups. You need a Snell 2000 or newer automotive helmet (SA2000).
 I don't see an inspection requirement. Typically there is no requirement for these winter days although you may be asked to sign something stating that you have checked and your car is safe. 
Track days are very hard on the car; at a minimum you should have 35% brake pad remaining, good belts/hoses, no oil or coolant leaks, recently changed oil, etc.

I doubt there are any instructors and Pacific Raceways does have some dangerous corners, so buyer beware.

Copy - paste from the link above -

High Performance Sport Driving

Saturday, February 01, 2014 9:00 AM

Drive Pacific Raceways' historic 2.25-mile road course in your own car! High Performance Sport Driving Days are designed for Novice - Seasoned Sport Driving - Advanced/Full Race.  Drivers are group according to ability.  Novice drivers receive classroom and in-car instruction from ProFormance Racing School.

$195 CAR & DRIVER

*additional drivers for same car $100

Spectators are FREE

Sport Driving takes place rain or shine

Course is staffed with Safety Team and Flag Marshals

Gates open at 7:30 a.m.

Mandatory driver's meeting at 8:30 a.m.

Track time 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Winter 2014 Schedule

Jan. 4

Jan. 18

Feb. 1

Feb. 15

March 1

March 9

April 6

All drivers must show current, legal driver's license.  Snell SA2000 or better racing helmet is required.  Newer convertibles with factory-installed "hoops" are permitted.  No passengers are allowed. 

Season Sport Driving Group - drivers need to have documented or proven experience at Pacific Raceways at club leve

Advanced/Race Car Group may be divided into open and closed wheel. 

For additional information - contact Pacific Raceways at (253) 639-5927Call: (253) 639-5927

Edited by CORNERS - January/27/14 at 8:54pm
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/14 at 9:01pm
What Kurt said. If you need to borrow a helmet I have an extra you can use. I was chatting with Don Kitch of Proformance Racing School today and his team manages these events for the race track. If you contact him you can get an instructor for all or part do the day for an additional fee. I would highly recommend this if you haven't driven the track before. Contact Don at Proformance directly and he can help you out.
'80 Mini English White
SodaJeff View Drop Down
PSMINI Moderator
PSMINI Moderator
PSMINI Events Director

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SodaJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/14 at 11:38am
A Few Clarifications: 

You do NOT need to bring a helmet - they have shelves full of loaners in all sizes
As mentioned you do not need an inspection - but they do reserve the right to ask to look at your car - and you might want to bring extra oil if your car burns through it.

The mid-winter days are mostly filled with Intermediate and Experts.  There are a limited number volunteer coaches to ride with Novice attendees.  You will get "some" coaching in the novice category, but not training like you get in a dedicated performance class session.

It's on the honor system to classify yourself as Novice or Intermediate.

It typically doesn't sell out - but I still advise getting there early

Take "everything" out of your car - They won't let you run with stuff in your boot or flying around your backseat. 

Like I said, the open days are more oriented for people who've been out before - but since attendance is low, it's a great time to pony up for some instruction and have a great session on your own terms
Jeff & Shari
Olive: Black '12 MINI Coupe'S
JCW Engine Tuning - JCW Airbox - JCW Exhaust - JCW Strut-Tower Brace - Rear Sway Bar - Lighter Wheels & Mich Pilot Sports - Stubby Ant - Interior Bits
SodaJeff View Drop Down
PSMINI Moderator
PSMINI Moderator
PSMINI Events Director

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SodaJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/14 at 11:39am
One more thing,...   Does anyone want to caravan?
We could meet somewhere for Coffee or something?

I'll be coming from Kirkland - typically I head down 405 and take Maple Valley out to Hwy 18 which means there are plenty of easy access potential meet spots
Jeff & Shari
Olive: Black '12 MINI Coupe'S
JCW Engine Tuning - JCW Airbox - JCW Exhaust - JCW Strut-Tower Brace - Rear Sway Bar - Lighter Wheels & Mich Pilot Sports - Stubby Ant - Interior Bits
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/14 at 12:57pm
I'm up for caravan. I'm coming from Lake Stevens and usually take I-5 to 167, but 405 to 18 is fine as well. Let me know when and where you want to meet up. I like to get to the track early to go over the car, do a track walk if there is time and I'll be bringin my R-comps so will be swapping tires too if it's a dry day.
'80 Mini English White
EBMCS03 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EBMCS03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/14 at 11:21am
Remember to have a full tank of gas, as you will be using alot of it.
Sixate View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/14 at 3:05pm
Helmet in a MINI, that leaves me out....there is barely enough room for my head....

07 MCSa Laser Blue w/ checkboards everywhere
Transmission 6 speeds...Gas pedal 1 speed....Full Speed Ahead!
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/14 at 8:02am
Is it Saturday Yet?...
Bryan, just open your sunroof..no probs...
or tilt your seat back....
New 2013 Clubby S - JCW Engine tune - JCW Brake Kit - JCW Exhaust - JCW Cold Air Intake - Lowered - Racing Wheels
 Post Reply Post Reply