Forum Home Forum Home > Dealer Discussions > Service Discussions and Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dipstick Missing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dipstick Missing
    Posted: May/09/14 at 2:48pm
Can anyone explain how the individual owner of the new 2014 MINI can add oil?  Or when he/she knows how much oil to add?

Neither the 3 cylinder nor the 4 cylinder have dipsticks, so what gives???

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/14 at 3:35pm
No

and not trying to be a smart-ass but the answer is no. Short of draining all the oil out of the pan to figure out how much is in there I don't think there is anyway to figure it out. Obviously low/low pressure throws a light but thats it. I believe BMW has been this way on a handful of their engines for a while now.

Of course this is a brand new engine for BMW so maybe it never needs more oil beyond routine oil changes? We can all dream and live in lala land hoping that this is the case. Time will tell. I'm hopeful though.
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/14 at 8:15pm
There is the wonderfully German engineering gimmick of the dashboard nanny like all good little BMWs!  It vill tell you when der oel ist low!

Whatever. 

R53 forever!
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/14 at 8:19pm
Wonder if there is any clue in OBD codes?
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/14 at 5:42am
It would really concern me to be driving around, like in some of the places we just went, and have a wee little lamp suddenly come on at 85mph.   Being hundreds of miles from a very friendly dealership who is willing to diagnose the source of the lamps illumination does not make for a warm fuzzy feeling.

If MINI was like Honda with a dealership on every corner it might be a bit more reassuring but when I was in Missouri getting my oil changed I discovered that they are like Oregon, one dealership.

Does MINI have an APP that tells you where your car needs to be towed to get the lamp/oil checked??

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Kirby11 View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/14 at 9:49am
I don't think you're going to be left completely blind. In a BMW that doesn't have a dipstick, you push a button on the dash and there's an oil level sensor that displays a readout showing how full it is so you can monitor whether it's starting to get low. I'm guessing that Mini is now using the same system. 

Edited by Kirby11 - May/10/14 at 9:51am
2011 LB/W MCS "PINTSZE" (*SOLD*)
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/14 at 9:57am
It would sure be nice if MINI knew that info!  I have asked several sales persons and in different dealerships and no response was provided other than "I don't know".

Kirby11 View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/14 at 10:12am
Yikes - that's not a good sign. You'd think that would be part of the orientation to the new model.  I guess they're too focused on learning important stuff like how to change the color of a light ring.

Here's the 2014 manual. Oil info starts on p182:
http://www.miniusa.com/content/dam/miniusa/PDF/archiveownermanuals/MY14/2014_MINI_Hardtop_with_Onboard_Monitor.pdf

2011 LB/W MCS "PINTSZE" (*SOLD*)
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/14 at 6:52pm
Thanks Kirby11, that does explain it.  They have the lamps that illuminate when attention is needed immediately AND they have a way to electronically check the level of oil when it is requested by the operator.

That is more reassuring than an "I do not know" from a dealership!  Actually 2 dealerships, NW MINI and St.Louis MINI.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/14 at 7:42pm
What about the other function of the dipstick - to check how your oil looks or smells? Never mind, I must be the only one who uses it for that. 
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/14 at 8:00pm
No, you're not.

But der German Engineers know that you don't know what you are looking at and smelling.  You are an American after all.  Americans all still drive  at 55 and never, ever keep a car longer than 100K.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/14 at 8:47pm
Kurt!  Your certainly not alone on that either.  Looks and smell are 2 very important criteria in my book.

For many years I could tell if a Chrysler product was in front of me on the road without seeing it.  Just the odor was a giveaway.  Same with Hondas.

I changed the oil on this trip I just took because I did not like the looks of it and that was after some fast freeway driving for 3500 miles and only 4000 after the most recent oil change.

The Germans want to sell engines....

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/14 at 8:10am
I have found it is very easy to put a dipstick in the passengers seat.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/14 at 8:19am
They are everywhere, so I guess MINI does not think it is important to provide one of their own.  Now they rely on computers to do the work.

We all know how reliable computers are...
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/14 at 4:59pm

Originally posted by Rob N Rob N wrote:

I have found it is very easy to put a dipstick in the passengers seat.

LOL Clap

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/14 at 6:16pm
I guess the only way to actually see the oil will be to get one of those Fumoto quick drain oil valves and drain off a small amount of oil. Either that or remove the oil fill cap. Will they still come with those or will it be just a 17mm plug on the side of the engine? Ugh. 
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/14 at 6:25am
A Sight Glass, and that way you could leave the dipstick out of the passenger seat.
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/14 at 7:52am

Wow we sound old! LOL. I'm totally with you all though. Wink

'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/14 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Wildfamily Wildfamily wrote:

Wow we sound old! LOL. I'm totally with you all though. Wink

You probably remember air cleaners that had a turbo sort of dust trap into a mason jar to collect junk before it hit the paper filter.  And don't forget the fuel filters that had a glass sediment bowl that you could remove and clean Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply