Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Silicone hoses and couplers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redstarkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silicone hoses and couplers
    Posted: August/04/14 at 3:45am
Does/did any one have silicone hoses or couplers under their bonnet? What has been your experiance with that? I'm looking into it mostly from the perspective of dressing up the engine  bay. However, if people have had specific problems running silicone vs. stock, I'd be interested in hearing about it. If the operating experience is just as good as OEM, that fine, whatever. But, if you've had issues with Silicone "snoot boots" on your intercooler, or an issue with a silicone intake hose let me know. I am considering starting with those items, before maybe moving on to my coolant hoses. I just want to add a bit more blue under there.

I've certainly already read on other Mini boards the tales from people who are against it in principle, because they feel it isn't an efficient use of money. But if I was worried about that, I probably would drive a supercharged Mini.
Pippa-'04 Mini Cooper S in Pure Silver. Featuring an Alta 2.0 15% reduction Pully and 2% overdrive ATI Super Damper. Madness rear sway, Koni shocks, NGK plugs and wires, and polyurethane everything.
scoopieb View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoopieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/14 at 3:23pm

I've had the Alta coolant hoses for many years with no problems.  I also bought the couplers but never installed them.  1) because they were a PITA to install 2) I read the horror stories about leaks and could see where it's very possible. 

You have to be careful if you do the coolant hoses and make sure the one that goes to the bottom of the radiator is not too close to the fan blade. 

06 MCS RMW BVH, Street cam, RCA, coolant tank & Tune/Dinan CAI/Alta 15%V2/Dinan exhaust & ST/OS Giken GT/Carbon fiber/MOMO/BC coilover/swift
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/14 at 9:37pm
I'm not a big fan of these as they don't seem to seal as well as rubber and are more rigid which makes for more frustration when working on the car. 
 Post Reply Post Reply