Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Warranty on Laptop???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warranty on Laptop???
    Posted: August/05/14 at 3:32pm

Hello!

Just asking the advice of all you computer laptop owners out there . . . is it prudent to purchase an extended warranty on a laptop? Also, saw an online warranty offer from a company called 'square trade' - 2 yr. $70, 3-yr. $100. Anyone heard of them?

I would welcome any thoughts on whether this is a must-spend.

THANK YOU!!!

Beakerzor View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beakerzor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/14 at 7:16pm
i'm not an expert, but the odds are rare that you will need the warranty

when i bought my laptop two years ago, i bought a $150 two-year theft&accident warranty, never had a single issue with the laptop

but it was nice knowing that if i ever lost it, i could get a replacement

laptops are almost flawless these days, but just knowing that you are safe, might be worth the money, as that will most likely be the only value you get: peace of mind

statistically, its a bad bet, especially if you already have homeowners/renters insurance

will it cover any accident or theft?  or just repair?  is there a deductible? 

Edited by Beakerzor - August/05/14 at 7:33pm
FunSizeDriver View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FunSizeDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/14 at 10:01pm
depends where you get the warranty.  Most laptops come with a manufacturers warranty that you won't have to pay a cent.  Dell has a really good manufacturers warranty, they send u a box to send the problematic device to them and they either fix it or change the whole thing.  Bestbuy is baddddddd..... Geek squad sorry to offend any geek squad employees if they are a MINI head but they just are not the definition of geek.  They are just someone that's the middle man to ship your device over to the real people that can fix it.  The last time i went to the geek squad with an issue on my keyboard.  The plastic holder for 1 keyboard broke.  They told me i would have to ship it to Texas and they will replace the whole keyboard for an outrageous amount.  I just went on google and bought the piece i needed for 7 dollars.

Sorry to be long winded but yeah extended warranties are just overpriced and may give security but any tech savvy person can fix general problems.
09' Chocolate MINI Clubman
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/14 at 6:25am
Squaretrade is the company Costco uses now to insure cell phones.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/14 at 7:09am

Rob, Good to know about Square Trade.

THANK YOU ALL for your replies. I've decided to roll the dice and NOT get an extended warranty. I bought the laptop at BestBuy and turned down their warranty. It does have a 1-yr mfr. warranty. The laptop was not a very expensive model (very adequate for my use, but without all the bells & whistles), will be used only by me almost exclusively at home and is not my main computer.

Your advice and info are much appreciated. Thanks again!

Cheers!

racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/14 at 7:40am
Extended warranties were proven by Consumer Reports (I think that was the right company) to be unnecessary for pretty much any item.  I do get accidental damage coverage for my phone for the duration of the manufacturer warranty.

Same kinda deal with insurance, most people end up paying tens of thousands or more on insurance over a lifetime.  Unless you are very unlucky or a horrible driver, even if you do have some type of incident where insurance actually does something, its probably a claim smaller than the total payments you have/will ever make.  
'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
FunSizeDriver View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunSizeDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/14 at 9:48am
forgot to add, since you got the laptop from bestbuy. Did you get the kaspersky antivirus that they offer?  I can vouch for that software and it does not bog down every day use like most antiviruses.  I pay 35 bucks a year and have not had a problem with viruses since.
09' Chocolate MINI Clubman
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/14 at 5:26pm
Thanks for adding weight to my decision to NOT get the extended warranty. Yes, I have Kaspersky on my desktop PC, and will put it on my laptop. I've been happy with it so far.  Cheers!
 Post Reply Post Reply