Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MINI vs. GTI in R&T

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MINI vs. GTI in R&T
    Posted: October/28/14 at 2:10pm

Road & Track has a comparison test of the new MINI Cooper S and the new Volkswagen Golf GTI.

For a MINI fan, it's pretty depressing.  The VW was judged superior in just about every way.  While that was disappointing, I realized that what really disappointed me was that someone would consider the two cars comparable!

I'd thought of the MINI as a car apart from other cars, something that you either liked and wanted, or didn't, but didn't really decide you wanted it INSTEAD of something else. 

MINI is going to have to stop thinking that they can be all things to all people, a MINI for every garage, and get back to being a unique automotive choice, if I'm ever going to consider buying another one.

When R&T did an owner's survey on the first generation cars, circa 2004, I filled-out the questionnaire, and was even quoted in the resulting article, saying, "If my car were stolen today, I'd get another one".  I couldn't think of another car that I'd want to replace it.  I can tell you that no 2015 MINI - none of the eight or ten models now offered - would be considered as a replacement.

Does anyone else feel that MINI has lost their own plot?

'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/14 at 3:40pm
I have a clubman S here in Seattle and a 2013 GTI with APR tune in Miami.

Guess which one is the most fun?

I have to say, I think the GTI gives me a better and more fun driving experience but I like to look a the clubman better.
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/14 at 3:51pm
That about sums it up. MINIs are still great cars, but the only thing that sets them apart now is their looks and brand proposition. Their performance/handling is essentially like a Golf or any other hot hatch, but for more money. (You get a lot for your money, but unique go kart-like handling is not really one of those anymore). 

CosmicTraveler View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/14 at 6:58pm
Some years back before they first appeared, and having another high performance (but much older) AWD that offers different kinds of thrills, I would have crawled through fire to get an AWD MINI.  That thought vanished with the first glance of MINI's actual offering.

I love my MINI and plan to drive it until something really important or super expensive falls off.  At that point, current fantasies of a used GT-R are way ahead of a new MINI.
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/14 at 11:02pm
Remember when MINI's were so unique people always waved when they spotted another one?  Remember people asking questions about your MINI when you were filling up at a gas station?  Those days are gone, probably forever as MINI has lost the connection with its roots and other brands have progressed beyond MINI in the fun to drive categories.  Rumors of a smaller MINI similar to the Rocketman persist and maybe it will happen in our lifetime but I doubt it will be the answer to MINI's problem with their loss of the enthusiast crowd.  I blame BMW Management for not understanding the MINI heritage and insisting on giving us cars that are not MINIs and not BMW's but rather poor imitations of both...  
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/14 at 6:54am
Actually, they are mirroring the BMW brand exactly.  BMW's are no longer winning comparisons and also suffering from brand dilution.  As proof, take a look at the Gran Turismo models, multiple X cars, Gran Coupes, plus the 2 and 4 series and //M versions of all said cars.  And BMW's first ever FWD car is coming soon, based on a shared platform with Mini.  At least they weren't the first, Mercedes' CLA made it ok for BMW to follow.  
'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/14 at 9:33am

As Cosmic Traveler said, "I love my MINI and plan to drive it until something really important or super expensive falls off."  ME TOO!

MINI will continue to evolve/change and so will the audience/buyers for them - that's the way of marketing and marketing controls the world. But my Gen-1 MINI still makes me smile! Tongue

Interesting discussion everyone, and brings to mind the great article in the latest MC2 magazine (issue 50):  "Save the Wave . . . or is it Already Too Late?" by Adam Hutchings. Fun read!

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/14 at 6:42am

A MCS vs GTI comparison on MotoringFile here:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2014/10/29/mini-cooper-s-vs-vw-gti-rematch/  (contains a link to the full test on Cars.com)

Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/14 at 12:28pm

It's interesting, that I see a lot of the same information in that review as in the R&T comparison, but the summaries are different.  Such as the "seems faster" comment about the MINI was rendered more like, "The MINI isn't as quick as the GTI, which trounces it in any test of acceleration, but the MINI is quick enough to be entertaining." 

The numbers say the GTI is faster, but if you enjoy the MINI more, does it matter?  I've always felt that way about my car, not really caring if it is "numbers" faster than another car, but just enjoying it for what it is.

'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
 Post Reply Post Reply