Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unsprung weight you are a heartless....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vballkid77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unsprung weight you are a heartless....
    Posted: June/12/15 at 2:34pm

I haven't posted in awhile, but I have been eyeing some rims for the Mini and thought I would ask the question here.  I have read a ton where rim/tire weight can change the performance of the vehicle a bit and there are people who have posted formulae showing what it could potentially do.  When I was big into stereos/audio I noticed there was a lot of "Oh it makes a huge difference" when actually when I went and listened to a setup it was minimal at best.  The only time I could really tell was when my uncle had his record setup that cost him in the neighborhood of $15 grand using the same tubes in his amp Eric Clapton uses.

For those of you who have upgraded rims, or run different rims winter/track/summer, how much would I notice a change of about 3lbs on the rim per corner?  My mini is running stock 15 R100's right now which when I looked it up seemed unbelievably light at 13.7 or so lbs, most of the lighter weight rims I have looked at (OZ, Kosei, Motegi) are more of the lines of a track rim, not quite as tough but are around 15lbs but a Tacoma pothole could do some damage, so I was looking at a set that was 17lbs had a little more of a unique look and just by eye seemed like it was a but more solid.  I guess my question is if I am more of a go out have some fun in the twisties on back country roads, not so much a track/autocross guy, although I would like to dabble, am I going to notice a large difference at a 3lbs increase?

'11 Justacooper Midnight black//JCW Crossbrace//Lowered on Konis/H&R springs//Konig wheels//DDMWorks intake//more on the way...
racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/15 at 4:19pm
I have the R93's with winter tires, 14.8lbs, then R83's for my summer wheels @ 20.1lbs each.  Additionally I'm currently running runflats which are definitely heavier than the winter tires.  I don't really notice a performance difference, but I baby the winter tires.  I can definitely tell the ride is better with the 15's, but that is a combo of soft tires, larger sidewall and not runflats.  Steering feel is better with the lighter wheels also.

short answer, if you aren't racing you probably won't notice a huge difference.  you'll notice more difference between tire brands than 3 lbs of wheel.
'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/15 at 5:18pm
I switched from the s-lites to the rota RB, it dropped 7lbs per corner, and made a WORLD of difference. 3lb each wouldn't be as noticeable, but you'd still notice *something*.  As racing stated, you'd notice more in quality of tire vs 3lbs per wheel.
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
vballkid77 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vballkid77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/15 at 4:47pm

thanks for the replies, that was kind of along my line of thinking that it wasn't enough to make a huge difference for normal/spirited street driving.  Seems like it I was set up more for tracking it, that would be a bigger deal, looks like its time to pull the trigger on those rims =o)

Thanks all

'11 Justacooper Midnight black//JCW Crossbrace//Lowered on Konis/H&R springs//Konig wheels//DDMWorks intake//more on the way...
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/15 at 8:11pm
You'll still notice it, but not as much as if you lost like 7lb per corner. Choose your wheel weight and tire carefully
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/15 at 6:19am
Originally posted by SuperCoop SuperCoop wrote:

You'll still notice it, but not as much as if you lost like 7lb per corner. Choose your wheel weight and tire carefully

+1
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
vballkid77 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vballkid77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/15 at 9:38am

I have been trying to for sure, that's why the question.  The Konigs I am looking at weren't the lightest they make as I seem to remember they had some 17's that were around 15-16lbs but essentially just looked like a 5 spoke, wanted something with a bit more looks to it.  Konig got back to me through their facebook page said they were 17lbs, which is about 3lbs heavier, not sure I was going to find a 17" rim that wasn't going to increase the weight would be to spend quite a bit more on them.  I think these are going to be a good way to meet the pocketbook in the middle

Now to go look at what kind of rubber to wrap them in

RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/15 at 4:53pm

Drag-racers figure one pound of rotational weight has the same effect on accelerative performance as five pounds of chassis weight.

'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
 Post Reply Post Reply