Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adjustable control arms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adjustable control arms
    Posted: April/20/16 at 3:09pm

I had a four-wheel alignment performed and the right-rear has insufficient negative camber.

I'm contemplating adjustable lower control arms on the back.

The price range runs from less than $200 a pair, to almost $400 a pair.  What should I look for, in terms of materials, and features?  It's not a track car, so I don't want squeeking or clunking.

Is it possible to retrofit the adjustable arms from a later (still R53) car, or should I stick to aftermarket?

'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
tterbo View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tterbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/16 at 4:44pm
Hey

I just added Helix control arms from Detroit tuned. Cost $250.

Had my car aligned yesterday and the best they could do was a -3.5 camber??

I am going to ask the group what to do now.

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/16 at 8:25am
The OEM control arms are not "adjustable". You'll need to go aftermarket. I'm not up on the current offerings, but you'll want to look for something that has as little bit of "cushion" and not just metal on metal (not "race" spec) if you want to minimize sqeaks/clunks. I'd contact Way at Way Motor Works for some advice. He knows his stuff.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/16 at 9:16am
Originally posted by tterbo tterbo wrote:

Hey

I just added Helix control arms from Detroit tuned. Cost $250.

Had my car aligned yesterday and the best they could do was a -3.5 camber??

I am going to ask the group what to do now.

Isn't -1 degree about as much negative camber as you want on a street car?

'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
tterbo View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tterbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/16 at 8:48am

Went for another opinion and was told that "normal" would be -1 to -2%.

So at my -3.7 he said my tires would wear about 20% faster. He said that my adjustable arms were done right and as long as the toes was dialed in (which is was) that it was as good as it gets for me unless I want to take it to a re-build shop to check my body alignment.  It drives really tight the way it is, so I am just going add a sway bar and roll with it.

I will pay for it in about 2 years when I need new tires again.

Post Reply Post Reply