Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harman Kardon Aftermarket deck install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggles85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harman Kardon Aftermarket deck install
    Posted: March/16/11 at 6:38pm
Hi everyone,

I recently bought an after market deck and I'm looking to get it into my '04 mini... the only problem is I currently have a HK system in place.  I've heard that trying to install an after market deck is a miserable process when the HK system is in place.  

My question is has anybody done this and is it as bad as I have heard or am I getting worked up over nothing?  I would love any help on this topic!

-Nick
"It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye... then its a sport."
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/11 at 6:41pm
I've read as well that it's a bit of a nighmare.  When I pull that trigger, I'm going to do the whole system, speakers and all.
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/11 at 6:42pm
I suspect it can't be that hard if you know how to take apart interior trim and know how to install car stereos. It's just wires and speakers, right? 
The HK system has an amp in the boot on the right side. Seems like you'd need to run some of those wires back up to where the head is... 
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/11 at 6:45pm
Let's hope it's that simple =)

Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
Twiggles85 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggles85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/11 at 7:01pm
Yes I think I'm going to just end up wiring the speakers directly to the head unit *sigh*, I was hoping that I would be able to utilize the amp/not have to re-wire everything.  If anyone has heard of another solution it'd be awesome!
scoopieb View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoopieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/11 at 9:04pm
The problem is the H/K amp and speakers are all 1 ohm(they might be 2 ohm).  Whatever, it's different than standard amps & speakers.  Is your new HU powered? and if so do you want to use it to run the door speakers or do you just want the HU to control the H/k amp which will still run all the speakers. 

It's been awhile since I did my system but I ended up replacing everything.  However, there are some kind of wirining harness or something that lets you use the h/k amp and speaks with a new hu.  Check NAM I just saw a thread about it within the last month.  If I find it I'll send it to you.
06 MCS RMW BVH, Street cam, RCA, coolant tank & Tune/Dinan CAI/Alta 15%V2/Dinan exhaust & ST/OS Giken GT/Carbon fiber/MOMO/BC coilover/swift
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggles85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/11 at 10:54pm
Thanks!  I am going to do some research.  I am trying to do a double din install and it has 50W mosfet amp built into the deck.  I have a few extra cross overs from an old install so if I decide to wire it directly I should be able to use the speakers at their proper frequencies at least.  
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/11 at 7:48am
I second the suggestion to check NAM, there is a dedicated forum I believe specifically for this topic
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggles85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/11 at 10:16am
well after many hours of reading I think what I'm going to do is cut the H/K amp complete out. I have a few extra amplifiers and I can't decide if I want to try and wire a new amp into the system or if I want to just wire directly.  I have a feeling that this project is going to take a lot longer than expected.
catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/11 at 4:41pm

NAM is a good resource and another place to check out is mp3car.com.  There are some MINI installs described there if you do a search for them.  I've been doing a lot of research too because I want to install a touchscreen to use my backup camera that I got.  But I got kind of overwhelmed and put it all on hold.  I know I came across a lot of good threads describing how to take apart the dash to get to the headunit.  I even found a Utube video describing it really well.  Oh, and if you need to get a double din dash kit, I found a pretty good resource for one.

Edited by catlvr2 - March/17/11 at 4:42pm
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggles85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/11 at 4:46pm
Thanks for the heads up!  I'm going to begin the operation this weekend.  I'm pretty competent when it comes to this stuff so i'm hoping to be able to get it done by the end of the day Sunday.  I'm trying to install a Pioneer Avic Z2 unit, fingers crossed! Sleepy
Doccyber View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doccyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/11 at 8:52pm
Thats a nice receiver... I have an older pioneer receiver but running the polk crossovers front & back..
I need to look into that one.. I almost went with the Z1
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggles85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/11 at 11:52pm
I'll let you know how the install goes... I've just started and well, it's going to be a long weekend (yes I know it's Thursday night).
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggles85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/11 at 11:42am
I'll let you guys know how it goes and try to do a write up with pictures once I figure out what I am going to do.  The double din install is definitely going to require a lot of cutting and it may require relocating the AC dampener motor.  I'm trying to avoid moving it but it may be inevitable.  Damn you small stereo compartment! Pinch
maddthree View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddthree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/11 at 11:35am
Any chance you still have your HK Amp?

Mike
253-335-2129
bobbydanger View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/11 at 10:10pm
I heard that removing an HK amp from a car originaly equiped with one can cause a problem should you ever need your car recoded at the dealer. the problem being that the system will tell you there is a module missing and not allow a reprogram. now I cannot confirm this I have only read about it being a problem on another forum. I cant imagine it comes up very often. most people would never remove the amp even if they upgraded the whole system. I have been wanting to remove mine but honestly wonder if its worth the risk. I would probably never need the BCM reprogramed but it sure would suck if I did and was missing the amp. the real problem being that if I removed the amp I would pull the wiring as well. no point in it being there and there is alot of it.
ok that was long winded, I really just wanted to ask if anyone else has ever heard anything like this? anyone? Bueller?
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/11 at 10:13pm
That is true. I ran into this problem when I tried to code some options on another club member's car, who had removed his stereo. The software would not let us proceed to the next step, even though we didn't care about the stereo. We eventually worked around the problem by using NCSEXPERT, a hacked car config tool.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/11 at 5:40am
Originally posted by Twiggles85 Twiggles85 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I recently bought an after market deck and I'm looking to get it into my '04 mini...

-Nick

Put all your music on an MP3 player and sell the "deck".  It might be way easier to do it/make compatible with MINIBig smile.   And then where would you store enough CD's to hold a thousand tunes or more?  I assume you are talking about CD's and not tapes!  The term "Deck" makes me wonder.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/11 at 9:31am
Kurt was it the removal of the amp that caused the problem or had this person just removed the head unit? if you know.

BD
maddthree View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddthree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/11 at 11:47am
Looking for a hk amp if anyone has one available....

Mike
253-335-2129
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/11 at 5:26pm
as most people would never remove the HK amp from their own car I would check with wrecking yards. I know British Auto Center in west seattle has several Minis in stock.
and this company http://www.usedminicooperparts.com/ has everything

Originally posted by maddthree maddthree wrote:

Looking for a hk amp if anyone has one available....

Mike
253-335-2129
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggles85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/11 at 6:34pm
Hey guys,

Sorry i was out this weekend so I didn't get back to you sooner.  Anyway, i still have the amp, and if we wanted to give it a shot we could try installing it.  I also have the original deck that went with it which may work past the coding errors.

-Nick
maddthree View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddthree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/11 at 11:27am
Nick,

Will you please give me a call at your convenience.  I would like to talk to you about taking the amp off your hands!

Thank you.

Mike
253-335-2129
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/16 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by bobbydanger bobbydanger wrote:

Kurt was it the removal of the amp that caused the problem or had this person just removed the head unit? if you know.

BD

I know this is very old post; I never responded but will for anyone searching for this information or something - The head unit is the thing that prevents SSS from executing car/key memory (CKM) programming. If you replace the factory head unit, the CKM software routine will fail. 
racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/16 at 1:55pm
so no new keys after replacing head unit?
'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
brat s View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brat s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/16 at 3:02pm
I completely replaced my sound system in my car. I even added two amps. I havent had any problems with it. Its a big pain in the butt trying to hide most of the wires. Kurt I still do need my car worked on but been real busy with my work. I'll touch basis with you here soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply