Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lets talk shocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/14 at 11:51am
The OEM lower contol arm bushings were junk back in the day.  Mine and Jessica's (both 2003) were suspect at about 20,000.  Easy way to check is to take a pry bar and try to move the bushing internally.  If it is shot, it will move easily.  I could see where mine were broken easily with large cracks visible.  Of course, if your ride is wandering happily down the road you probably know the bad news already.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/14 at 5:43am
Thank you Rob :-)

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/14 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Rob N Rob N wrote:

While you are down there, you should consider an upgrade to Poly control arm bushings.  If they haven't ben replaced already, they are probably trash.

I had my bushings replaced with poly at 75k.
I'll start a new thread on tires; thought maybe someone could recommend an outstanding combo of strut and tire without having to have two threads covering essentially the same ground (such as "ditch the runflats and you might be so impressed with the ride that you won't think you need new struts").
I do like to drive the car on all sorts of roads, and if it is someday the "weekend" car that I envision I might "steer" things more in the direction of handling over comfort, but my car is more nearly a daily driver, at one point being a home-park 'n' ride-home commuter for four years. 
Today, I drive it only two or three days a week, but it's still mostly in straight lines on Seattle-area roads.
'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/14 at 8:24am
Heard a rumor that the stock shocks get stiffer when they die and that new stocks bring back the more compliant ride.  But, that's a rumor.  I don't see big brake kit or JCW brakes on your mod list, so you could run 15" wheels/tires which will significantly make for a smoother ride. Or go to 16", although I'm not sure if you'll notice much change going from 17 to 16.  If you want to stick with the 17" tires, look for touring or grand touring all seasons instead of performance.  Performance tires have stiffer sidewalls by design.  
'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/14 at 8:30am
I have 16x195x55 on my Cooper and a set of 16x205x50's for the same car.  Both ride better than the 17x205 or 215x45's on our "S".  With my larger brakes on the "S" I cannot try the smaller wheels with fatter tires on the "S".

FSD's really helped the ride but did not hold up to the "Sport Suspension" springs, but I would put them into a standard suspension Cooper or Cooper S.
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/15 at 12:29pm

Had FSDs, and new Conti 215/45s fitted yesterday.  Have just returned from 650 mi road trip with old set-up, so should have a good before/after comparison.

The twelve-mile, 45 minute drive from Group2 to Shoreline left me thinking that the change is an improvement, but will reserve judgment until some more miles accumulate.

Early impression is that even with new tires filled 36f/34r, the ride is slightly more controlled than the (admittedly well-worn) factory struts and 205/45, 32psi set-up.

The ride doesn't necessarily feel so much better, as SOUNDS better.  Not the same jarring sensation over ruts and manhole covers.  

'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/15 at 8:18pm
I've never really been thrilled with my FSDs. Yes, they ride better than stock, but for the money, I don't think THAT much better. I'm strongly considering coilovers, BCs to be precise, for more comfort adjustability (vs the height, once I set it, I'll forget it).
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/15 at 5:01am
RickB, are your new tires run flats?
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/15 at 9:19am

No, not run-flats.  The change from RF to non-RF was much more noticeable than any change in tire size, pressure, etc.  I've run stock size non-RF, 215/40 non-RF, and now 215/45 non-RF.

I've always run slightly low pressure to help improve the ride, but I think the new tires with taller sidewalls, and the FSDs, allow higher pressures while maintaining a decent ride.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/15 at 5:25pm
Well if you do not have the jarring then I suppose it is a good thing.  The only reason I went on this mission to change the suspension was to eliminate the jarring that was called suspension by MINI!

I use slightly lower pressures too.

Edited by SMOG - March/16/15 at 4:24am
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/15 at 4:11pm

A few more miles on the clock.  I now have the tires set at 37f/35r, and I'd say the ride is better, overall than any previous tire with the factory struts.

I notice the benefits most when running over a single "bump", like a manhole cover that's just below or above the surface of the road.  The suspension absorbs it with a "thump-thump" sound coming from the suspension, without any attendant rattles from interior panels.

Where I don't notice much improvement is on rough road surfaces, when the suspension is constantly working. 

I haven't done any corner carving, not even an onramp, just commuting to this point, so can't make any ride v. handling comparisons.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234