Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Who can help fellow Mini owner to install mods?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who can help fellow Mini owner to install mods?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who can help fellow Mini owner to install mods?
    Posted: August/16/11 at 7:46pm
Hello all.

My 2011 Cooper S will get some goodies soon.  I am thinking of getting BC Racing coilovers and Alta 22mm rear sway bar.  Stock setup is way too soft (I don't have sport suspension).  Also the ride height is a little too high for my taste.  I will possibly lower the car about an inch.

I would rather do this myself, but I am quite worried I will mess this up.  Also, I haven't done this type of work in my cars, so I want to learn as well.  Biggest project I did was changing springs in my old Z4M Coupe with a help of friend..

Any psmini.org volunteers to help me?  I will compensate your time and help.

Edited by Erhan - August/16/11 at 8:54pm
2011 R56 S
Wilwood BBK, Konig feather wheels & AD08 tires, Alta FMIC, NM dischrg pipe, BC Racing coilovers, Alta 22mm rear sway & endlinks, Hsport rear cont arms, TSW xbrace, JCW steering wheel
JoeW View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/11 at 8:43pm
i can give you a hand with the setup
2002 Cooper S Dark Silver
2002 Cooper BRG (for sale!)
Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/11 at 9:34pm
I'm looking to do the same and am considering renting a lift to do it down in Kent to make life easier.

Although I'm looking at H&R street coilovers or ST.  I only one about a 1" drop and it seems like most drop them more.  I have the 22mm on the soft setting but will certainly stiffen it up when I do the springs.
2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
Erhan View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/11 at 9:43pm
I choose the BC racing because it comes with adjustable camber plates.  Looks like a good deal to me.  I honestly don't know the height adjustment range.  It doesn't have to be 1" exactly.  I just don't want it to be slammed :)

2011 R56 S
Wilwood BBK, Konig feather wheels & AD08 tires, Alta FMIC, NM dischrg pipe, BC Racing coilovers, Alta 22mm rear sway & endlinks, Hsport rear cont arms, TSW xbrace, JCW steering wheel
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/11 at 9:51pm
I don't have a lift but just about every other tool imaginable, and would be happy to help... but it would have to wait until end of this month as I'm working through a heavy workload. 

I am typically available weekdays between 10am-5pm and some Saturdays/Sundays. 

I am in Bothell - close to where you are! 

bobbydanger View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/11 at 10:14pm
I would pick Joe
because he is really cute and will work for beer.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/11 at 12:34am
Why don't you all get together.

Erhan, you may want a set of adjustable rear control arms. Also did you take a look at Megan? http://www.waymotorworks.com/megan-racing-coilovers-for-r55-r56-r57.html
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Erhan View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/11 at 7:59am
John, from what I understand Megan and BC are pretty much same.  In fact I believe Megan's are made by BC racing.

What is the benefit of changing rear control arms with adjustable ones?

2011 R56 S
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/11 at 9:11am
I just mentioned the Megan's because most of the time they cost less and as you mention they are basically the same.

Rear control arms? Of course for adjusting the camber, but the main reason is the stamped steel ones fail with cars that have been taken below stock height

Erhan View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/11 at 9:26am
So I will need to add positive camber to bring the camber to within the spec, since lowering will cause additional negative camber.  Which brand would you suggest?

Edited by Erhan - August/17/11 at 9:41am
2011 R56 S
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/11 at 1:59pm
A lot of people like H-Sport (Hotckis) because they use urethane instead of heim joints, but Heilx has improved there heims and now seal it with a rubber boot. Also is the kit your looking at come with adjustable drop links for your sway bars???

Erhan View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/11 at 2:21pm
I don't know? Does it have to?

Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

Also is the kit your looking at come with adjustable drop links for your sway bars???
2011 R56 S
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/11 at 3:14pm
It is just nice to keep the geometry right , I believe what most people doe is move the front to the back and use the new ones on the front. 

Erhan View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/11 at 4:28pm
This is new to me.  So, to make sure I understand correctly, you suggest that I move the front adjustable drop links to rear, and buy new ones for front.  What brand would you suggest for the fronts?
2011 R56 S
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/11 at 4:49pm
No, all I am saying is depending on how low your drop is down the road you may want to play wig the drop links to get the sway bars back into the right position. It is just some coilover kits come with adjustable drop links. Say you do your install and you drop a 1/2 inch you sway bar will move proportionally off of a numeral position. It is not a life an death issue just something to consider down the road and more so if you drive hard.

John

Erhan View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/11 at 4:59pm
Great info.  Thanks John.
2011 R56 S
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/11 at 5:01pm
In your OP you indicated the main reason for a change was things were to soft. Have you considered FDS's or Big Yellows if it it is not lowering that you were looking for?

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/11 at 5:19pm
Your welcome, maybe some of the others will add their 2 cents

Erhan View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/11 at 5:51pm
Well, yeah the main thing is to stiffen up the suspension.  But I also want adjustable camber plates for track use.  I also think the ride height is a little too much.  So in terms of priorities:  Stiffer setup > Adj. Camber plates > Ride height. 

This kit has all of the above for $1000.  Also I can adjust the compression/rebound between street and track as well.

Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

In your OP you indicated the main reason for a change was things were to soft. Have you considered FDS's or Big Yellows if it it is not lowering that you were looking for?
2011 R56 S
searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/11 at 6:39pm
Moving the OEM links from one end of the car to the other won't work. The orientation of the rod ends aren't the same front to back. I discovered that when I installed my coilovers and the R56s are the same way.
Larry

2005 JB/W MCS:RMW Tuned 215hp/187tq,cam|TSW x-brace|Cross Coilovers w/Swift Springs|OZ Alleggerita|Direzza|Scorpion Exh|etc.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/11 at 12:08am
Sounds like a plan.

Thanks for the up date Larry, We need to ask Ken what he did then because he used the backs on the fronts??

Post Reply Post Reply