Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Dealer Discussions > Warranty Issues and Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Warranty and Performance Mods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JarHouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warranty and Performance Mods
    Posted: January/26/12 at 11:10pm
So with Jarmini being a CPO, i'm kinda leary about doing certain mods to her because I don't want to void the warranty. I was wondering what everyone elses experience with mods and warranty issues are, and if there are certain mods I should stay away from.

Currently the only performance mods Ive gotten for her is an ALTA CAI and NM Torque Mount Bushing, and an ALTA BOV Spring.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/12 at 9:35pm
It depends on what you are planing???

Your best safe mod is the intercooler, but we do have people here with down pipe with no issues.

Edited by johnf36 - January/27/12 at 9:39pm
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

JarHouse View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JarHouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/12 at 9:42pm
Well the one I am most concerned with is an ecu flash. The one i'm looking at is the ALTA Accessport. Are there certain maps I could use that wouldn't run the risk of voiding the warranty? Can the dealership tell if you have flashed the edu even if you put it back to stock settings?
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/12 at 9:54pm
Okay, they only way the tune can be seen is if the rev limiter is lifted and it contribute to the damage caused. We have 2 cases here and both went 2 different directions it depend on the big picture if something happens. Your more likely to get in trouble over the BOV then any thing else. I  the year of your mini??

JarHouse View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JarHouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/12 at 9:59pm
It is a 2010 Clubman S. I just got an ALTA cai, and ALTA bov spring. Are there any types of mods that seem to get more grief/issues from the dealer than other mods?

Thanks for the info.
jonrizzle View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonrizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/12 at 9:55pm
Just the thread I was looking for.  I too was wondering about warranty issues and mod.  What I've read is that some dealers service departments don't care too much, and others are real sticklers about it.  I was planning on an ALTA intercooler, DoS CAI, exhaust and an upgraded suspension...maybe an ALTA accessport later.  Nothing too crazy.  Just wondering if any service advisors had opinions on this mods?  Thanks  Smile
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/12 at 5:38am
They might squawk about the AP...

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
jonrizzle View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonrizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/12 at 10:05am
Ahh thanks lol. The funny thing is they don't even have a tune for my car yet. Funnier yet, I dont even have my car!      I ordered him begging of January, on the boat right now and he should be here end of February. I am also waiting for my money transfer to go through to PayPal so I can pay membership dues and join the club. See you around soon hopefully.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/12 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by jonrizzle jonrizzle wrote:

Ahh thanks lol. The funny thing is they don't even have a tune for my car yet. Funnier yet, I dont even have my car!      I ordered him begging of January, on the boat right now and he should be here end of February. I am also waiting for my money transfer to go through to PayPal so I can pay membership dues and join the club. See you around soon hopefully.

There is a Government Level Encryption on the ODP2 so cracking that code is the trick that all the Tuners are working on so feverishly.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/12 at 9:23pm
I wouldn't imagine the dealer would care much for the above mentioned hardware mods - they are pretty mild -- but they might have a problem with an ECU tune ... which is not possible on some of the Gen2 MINIs anyway due to that pesky encryption. 

Does anyone know what is the last year car that works with the AccessPort? (I think it's 2010). 
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/12 at 9:33pm
2011 and 2012 JCW 's , N-14 engines only

Edited by johnf36 - March/01/12 at 9:35pm

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/12 at 5:10am
The 2011 is the first year of the N-18 engines(I own one) and they are encrypted, but I do not know if that applies to the JCW's since they still use the N-14 engines. 

I have a friend in SoCal with a new 2012 JCW and Jan is going to "Look" at it to see why it is stuttering.

Did they program in a "Pop & Burble" to those engines???

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
leogetz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leogetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/12 at 1:37pm
I love how I can search these forums and find threads about questions or commonalities with other members...

wondering if anyone has any insight on whether and exhaust system mod & new suspension springs would impact the warranty?

I'm set to take delivery of my new Countryman this month and already have some mods i'd like to consider.

thanks
GREYSEN - '12 Countryman S All4 - Royal Grey w/ Black Roof, Stripes and Trim (no chrome) - Premium, Cold Weather & Sport Pkgs - NM Eng RSe14 Wheels - JCW Exhaust - LED Fog Lights
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/12 at 1:42pm
Not really any problem, but in most cases the stock exhaust is fine unless you want more noise, they suspension is always a ++. Do you want to go up, down ore just better.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/12 at 7:35pm
It would impact the warranty if you had any exhaust or suspension problems :-) 
In most cases if you  convince them that whatever warranty problem you are experiencing is not related to the mods, and keep a good attitude, they should be OK. 

leogetz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leogetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/12 at 10:13am
Thanks for the input guys.

On the suspension, I'm thinking about going lower than stock. The All4 was purchased primarily to get me to/from the slopes in the winter so clearance isn't something i'm too worried about. I also think lowering the car a bit would look really sharp. I'm certainly open to doing more than altering the height depending on the benefits/gains.

On the exhaust, I was considering this primarily to get a nice sound out of it. Something middle of the road is my desire...not something that belongs on the track, but also noticeable to the discerning ear.

Any other warranty friendly mods that folks might suggest?

GREYSEN - '12 Countryman S All4 - Royal Grey w/ Black Roof, Stripes and Trim (no chrome) - Premium, Cold Weather & Sport Pkgs - NM Eng RSe14 Wheels - JCW Exhaust - LED Fog Lights
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/12 at 12:18pm
In my few years of research on this topic there is no straightforward answer. Doing anything from stock can void the warranty. However, I've also not heard of anyone who was flat denied warranty repair because of an aftermarket exhaust or something along those types of upgrades.

The dealer and MINI USA can always tell you it was your fault because it was not a stock part or ECU mapping or something like that. If your sunroof stops working there is a pretty good argument that touching the ECU had nothing to do with a broken sunroof and I'd expect they would repair. If your engine goes into limp mode after an ECU change I'd expect MINI to wash their hands of it. However, if your engine goes into limp more after a suspension change I'd expect MINI to fix that as I can't think how changing the suspension would cause the engine to go nuts. If your strut towers mushroom though.. well..

In summary, yes they can deny all warranty but from what I've seen if you are reasonable then MINI is reasonable and will continue to cover the warranty.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/12 at 10:20pm
I saw a lowered Countryman once and it looked really great. 
jonrizzle View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonrizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/12 at 11:37pm
I got in on the group buy for the Helix FMIC.  I'm just hoping the engine doesn't blow up and the blame is placed on the intercooler.  Pinch  But like they say, you have to pay to play.  Boo.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/12 at 5:56am
Since I installed the Helix FMIC and have a 2-1/2" CatBack exhaust system I find the traction control is working a bit moreBig smile

I am not sure how many miles you have on your MINI now but mine just turned 8K and the engine felt stronger before I did the MODs, but now since those MODs are in place I don't think I need more HP!  Not bad for an automatic.

I returned my Accessport since Alta Perrin is NOT going to be putting out a Tune for the N-18 engines.  If you want a bump in HP and not mess with a Warranty then get the JCW Tuning Kit installed, if they have one for the N-18 yet.

Edited by SMOG - May/14/12 at 5:59am
Erhan View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/12 at 9:51am
Had my first service today at Seattle MINI.  Oil change, and rear pads.  The car has only ~10500miles, but they changed the rear pads no questions asked.  I was honest and told them I track my car, which they responded as "it is allowed".  Of course I didn't tell them how often I track it :) 

The only engine mod I have is ALTA FMIC and NM engineering plumbing.  Both of them should make the car more reliable, so I don't think I'll have any warranty issues.  I don't have a tune, and I'm not planning to get one, so I'm hoping engine/transmission warranty would not be effected.  Honestly, I think that's where the most money can go if something goes wrong and not covered under warranty.
2011 R56 S
Wilwood BBK, Konig feather wheels & AD08 tires, Alta FMIC, NM dischrg pipe, BC Racing coilovers, Alta 22mm rear sway & endlinks, Hsport rear cont arms, TSW xbrace, JCW steering wheel
leogetz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leogetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/12 at 11:07pm
Thanks again for the input & comments. I'm pretty much sold on getting some new springs to lower the Countryman once it arrives (the waiting is killing me).

Any recommendations on a sponsor or local shop to do the work right?
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/12 at 1:22am
All of our sponsors are great it really depends what works best for you.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/12 at 6:09am
I wish there was a recommended suspension shop here on the Kitsap Peninsula!  Koni FSD's coming Wednesday...

Post Reply Post Reply