Forum Home Forum Home > Dealer Discussions > Service Discussions and Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear caliper rewind tool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear caliper rewind tool
    Posted: August/25/12 at 2:02pm
Working on the brakes for my 2005 Cooper and I need the tool to rewind the rear calipers. I tried calling MINI, but no luck. I think I might have found one on Amazon but I would like to get my brakes done this weekend.

Does anyone have one, or know of a source to fine one?
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/12 at 2:18pm
I have one but have also found that a big pair of needle nose pliers and a large screwdriver to apply leverage in the right way, also works fine. (I had to change my rear pads at the track and didnt have the tool with me. Worked fine. )

I think I re threaded one of the caliper bolts most of the way and pried with the screwdriver while pushing and twisting the piston with the needle nose pliers.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/12 at 6:51pm
Gordon I believe the harbor freight kit you can make work it's not perfect but it does work. Oh and Pat has one that works.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/12 at 8:59pm
Gordon - if not too late, call me 253-797-3215.  Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/12 at 9:00pm
I picked up one of the cube things from O'Riley's. I think that will handle it in the morning. 

It's funny with the right tools brakes are one of the easiest jobs on the car.

But why do the sleeve bolts need 7mm allen wrenches? I have tones of 6mm and tons of 8mm, but no 7's. How can that be?
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/12 at 11:27pm
You'll need to grind a couple of the prongs on the cube to get it to fit in the holes, but it will work with appropriate amount of pressure. 

Do yourself a favor and pick up a 7mm hex socket. O'Reilly's should have them. Much easier than a hex key wrench. 
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/12 at 12:18am
Second the sockets, I used one of those cubes once, it worked but it was a little tricky.   The one I got at auto zone had 2 prongs. I just went ahead and made my own.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Post Reply Post Reply