Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Membership - New Member Introductions > Membership Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PSMINI and Social Media

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PSMINI and Social Media
    Posted: April/07/13 at 7:04pm
Dear Members,
A couple weeks ago a member said to me "I didn't know about that event because it wasn't posted on Facebook." I took this statement to mean two things. The first being that this member was absolutely right because we don't post events to Facebook. Secondly, I took it to mean maybe we should be? That last one is a direct question but let me expand on it a bit.

PSMINI does not have a social media policy, per se. We've got a Facebook group, a few of you are friends with each other on Twitter, I created a G+ group recently (but have not done anything with it), a few of you are fans of Pinterest, the list is endless.

But, this is _your_ MINI club and because of that I'm asking you how _you_ want PSMINI to use social media. Social media is an ever evolving medium but if you feel the club could improve its social presence please speak up. The board will take all suggestions and, with some time, we will start integrating them into our policies. You are welcome to post your suggestions here or send them to me directly by mailing me at president@psmini.org

Happy Motoring,
Ryan S. McClune
President PSMINI
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/13 at 8:15am

Social media is ever more important as a medium for communicating with the masses. Especially the younger generations. The BMW club recently completed an assessment and review of their membership with some consulting help and found that it was in their best interst to become more active in Facebook, Twitter, etc and have really increased their presence in those outlets. I think it behooves us to do the same if we want to remain relavant to the full spectrum of MINI owners and keep bringing new members and enthusiasts into the fold.

'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/13 at 9:01am
What Martin said.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/13 at 9:12am
Ditto . . . as long as the PSMINI website continues to be a complete source for events. etc.  
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/13 at 9:14am
I don't do Facebook etc.- way too much unnecessary information about things I am not interested in.  The information people put on Social Media should be considered personal exchanges - Club business should still be conducted on the Forum.  That is my opinion.
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/13 at 10:23am
Great post. I agree with Martin. I don't think we need to replace the forum with a Facebook page and/or a Twitter account, but for those of us who use Facebook to stay in touch with friends and keep up to speed with current events, I think we'd find a PSMINI Facebook page to be helpful and fun to participate in. Perhaps make it a closed group where you have to request membership so we can avoid people from out-of-state "infiltrating" our group.

Cheers,

Cristina
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
JulzMni View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulzMni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/13 at 7:26pm
I'm a self professed Facebook junkie    I would use both the forum and FB.
Julie Sterling
Stanwood, WA
2013 Roadster "Ruby"

https://www.facebook.com/julz.mni
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/13 at 8:07pm
I think Facebook is unnecessary and could perhaps draw people to events that were NOT MINI people nor have any desire to be MINI people.

We have a pretty good web site and if anyone Googled MINI COOPERS in the Puget Sound we would show up.

So, now we are talking about Facebook and we don't even have a grill badge?!?!
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/13 at 8:47pm
I think you need one central location for information, but if members want to connect in other ways that is fine.  One challenge though is that can create more mediums that club moderators have to monitor.
Mitch & Teri
<font color=BLUE>2006 Cooper Checkmate[/COLOR]
<font color=RED>2013 JCW Countryman[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply