Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Photos and Videos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Goodbye '07 JCW R56 :(

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goodbye '07 JCW R56 :(
    Posted: December/15/14 at 5:56am
Long story short, Mini Cooper is totaled but my dog and I are safe.....

Now the longer version: 

So I was on my way into work (on my day off) for a last minute mandatory meeting. When I came up to the Seneca off ramp in Seattle, it was backed up and at a stand still. I slow down and come to a complete stop and wait for the traffic to start to move. I looked in my review mirror and noticed this POS Saturn was hauling ass towards me and I thought to myself "Hmm...he's going pretty fast......OH f**k, HE's NOT SLOWING DOW...." - BAM!!! He hits me going over 65 in a 60 zone. The air is instantly knocked out of me, my head hits the part where the roof meets the top of the windshield, my dog flies forward and hits the steering wheel, and my drivers side door is now facing oncoming traffic.

With that being said, I've never been in an accident like this before. What exactly do I have to do now that I'm dealing with someone who doesn't have insurance? My insurance covers uninsured drivers, but what legal actions do I need to take? Do I need to get a lawyer involved at this point? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. 

In other news, this means I'm most likely coming back to the Mazda family. It'll either be a GenWon or a Speed6, not sure yet......

Edited by worbit - January/07/15 at 2:38am
Drive an R60 and want a OEM roof rack? CLICK HERE - I have one for sale!
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/14 at 6:10am
WOW!  You , and your dog, are both very lucky, the car not so much.

Your insurance company, if it is a good one, should handle it and do not ay anything to the uninsured party unless you consult with your insurance agent first or with your insurance agent present.

I was hit pretty hard from the rear when I was at a stop light by 3 teeangers, one of whom was a female young runaway, the other 2 wingnuts were "Borrowing" their roommates car and were out of state driving it when they hit me.  Thank God I had good insurance and I was not hurt as badly as you, I was driving a Maxima at the time and it was totaled, all this while returning from surgery at the VA Hospital!  Soooo much fun that day...

Hope you have a speedy recovery and you get a brand new MINI out of it for your "pain and suffering", the car value alone will not give you enough for a new one.
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/14 at 8:15am
Wow.  Glad you and your little bud were not hurt worse.  Thanks once again MINI for giving it up to save lives.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
bnr32jason View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnr32jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/14 at 8:29am

I've wondered about uninsured motorists as well. Of course we have good insurance to cover things like out vehicle damage and medical bills, but what about things that would normally be in a settlement from the other person's insurance? When I got rear ended back in 1998 by a drunk, his insurance offered me a settlement including lost wages, emotional distress, etc. I would feel bad going after my own insurance company for that kind of stuff, but I guess it's better than going through a civil case with people stupid enough to not even have insurance.

Related question, you said the guy's wife hit the windshield and basically got "scalped," did she survive?

Glad to see you guys are ok though. I've got a Countryman on order and plan on taking the dog around in the back sometimes (he's too big to be a lap dog, so he'll be in the back) and I'm worried about rear-end accidents like this.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/14 at 10:34am
Wow, that certainly is good news and bad news. Your insurance should cover your general costs, but I suspect you could go after the guy in civil court to reimburse for anything that your insurance doesn't cover such as lost work or pain and suffering. I'd speak with a lawyer as soon as you can. Your insurance company probably can also give you some good advice. 

PS - car looks amazing considering the forces involved...  
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/14 at 12:57pm
Your insurance should handle it. I would let them and not bother with the expense of a lawyer. If you don't feel like you are getting the love you deserve, then it would be time to bring in the hired guns and get the lawyer to deal with both the other drive and your insurance agent.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/14 at 3:35pm

First, glad you came out of it alive. Second, get a lawyer. My wife was hit nearly head-on nearly a year and a half ago and had her car totalled by an idiot with the state minimum (for New Mexico). Unbelievably, that state minimum was only $25K..including bodily injury..the works. Fortunately, we have a good insurance company and underinsured motorist coverage, but even with that there are many technicalities and issues that we never imagined. They replaced our car and took care of us well, but we have a lawyer and are still working to get reimbursed for lost wages ad medical costs. It's way more complex than we ever imagined.

'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
Claywiltre View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claywiltre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/14 at 10:05pm
Glad to hear that you and your pup are ok!
ClayWilTre!
worbit View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/14 at 12:21am
Thanks for the well wishes guys, I really appreciate it. I'm really bummed that I never got the chance to become more active in this group and I most likely won't buy another Cooper unless I can get a killer deal on another JCW edition. 
worbit View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote worbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/14 at 8:32pm
So I had a chance to swing by the impound lot today to grab a few things from my car and I managed to snap a few photos of both cars....

The exhaust usually sticks out a little bit from the bumper, now its like 6" under the body....

Edited by worbit - December/18/14 at 10:45pm
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/14 at 8:41pm
The MINI looks great, that Saturn looks horrible. 
Did your airbags fire? 
Have you heard anything about the Saturn passenger? 
How's your back? 
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/14 at 9:47pm
Looks like they had to use the "Jaws of Life" to get the Saturn passenger out - hope she is OK.  Amazing how well the MINI came out considering the front end damage to the Saturn.  Hope everything works out with the insurance company - and that we'll see you back in a MINI some day. 
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Beakerzor View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beakerzor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/14 at 1:51pm
wow, thanks for posting the story and pictures

so glad to hear that you and your pooch survived

this is one of my biggest fears when driving

how long ago did you get your MINI?

Sixate View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/14 at 11:30am
I have to know.  What does the top line on your license plate frame say?
07 MCSa Laser Blue w/ checkboards everywhere
Transmission 6 speeds...Gas pedal 1 speed....Full Speed Ahead!
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/14 at 5:25pm
Do we have to total everything out?  To me, it doesn't look that bad.  Maybe there's more damage underneath that I can't see but the car held up remarkably well in my opinion.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
worbit View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/14 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Sixate Sixate wrote:

I have to know.  What does the top line on your license plate frame say?

"Do it with a vinyl collector - We have 12 inches" :)

Originally posted by Beakerzor Beakerzor wrote:

how long ago did you get your MINI?

Not even a year. I got it back in May after my fiance and I broke up 

Originally posted by CINIMIN CINIMIN wrote:

and that we'll see you back in a MINI some day. 

I honestly think I'm done with Mini's....at least for a while. I had such a bad experience with this one that it's left a bad taste in my mouth. I will say this much though, Seattle Mini has been AMAZING when it comes to helping me out. Johnathan Kirkpatrick has been the one who has handled my car and has gone above and beyond what I expected when dealing with a dealership. I highly recommend you guys swing by and introduce yourself to him as he will take excellent care of you. I had written their lot manager a letter about the awesome service I had received and they ended up hooking me up with free racing stripes because of it. Too bad I only had four days to enjoy those before the accident happened :( 

Edited by worbit - December/18/14 at 10:53pm
worbit View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote worbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/15 at 2:39am
Hey everyone, just checking in to let ya'll know that I'm slowly recovering and I have teamed up with a lawyer to get things all settled. 

In other news, let me introduce you to my new ride! Its a 2011 Mazdaspeed3 in Celestrial Blue Mica (rarest color for the Speed3s) that was fully built by a company up here in the PNW known as Corksport. They specialize in Mazdas and this has just about every bolt on you could ask for. :) On top of that, it's got every additional feature that was available from the dealer and is fun as all heck to drive. Currently it's running a Stage 2+ tune from Cobb Tuning and is making roughly 315hp at the crank, 295hp to the wheels. 

I bought this car off of a guy on Craigslist and was a bit weary about doing so since it was so heavily modded. After talking with the guy and asking questions about the parts that were installed, I figured it wouldn't hurt to go check the ride out. Well, shortly after pulling up to his place I was treated to tour of his garage that housed his other "toys" - after seeing these (along with all of the receipts for the Speed3) I felt completely safe with making the purchase. 

First up - 2003 Ford Cobra "Terminator" - 570hp to the wheels and is currently going through an overhaul to push that over 600hp.

2011 Chevy Camaro SS (Wife's Car) - 610hp to the wheels. 

and his son drives a 2002 VW GTi that is making 370hp but sadly he wasn't home when I came over so I didn't get a chance to snap photos. 
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/15 at 6:35am

Very good to hear you're on the road to recovery (hope your little dog is also healing) and are getting the legalities sorted out. Congratulations on finding a new ride you like, even if it's not a MINI.Wink  Love the blue color, and the car looks fast even sitting still. 

All the best!

ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/15 at 2:43pm
Very good to hear you are getting back to normal. The MazdaSpeed3 is a very nice ride. Won't handle as well as the MINI ;) but it sure scoots and has its own soul and driving fun.
 Post Reply Post Reply