Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP, keyfobs are not working!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP, keyfobs are not working!
    Posted: October/25/09 at 2:29pm
We just got our new mini. and both keyfobs are giving up hell! they rarely work! they are supposed to recharge in the dash when driving from what i understand...they don't say they are not taking a charge or have battery issues like stated in the manual... its just that the car doesn't respond to locking or unlocking!!! or even the bootlid... the buttons just work once in a while...its REALLY annoying? Is there a trick to reprogram them to sync up with the car? i assume its supposed to happen when the key is in the car getting charged!

I'm guessing its NOT the keyfobs, and its NOT the actuators as the car will open and close fine with the manual key, but when trying the wireless function rarely it works. I think that the reciever in the car is defective. My question to everyone is... Anyone have any issues like this and had an answer or fix?

oh yea, not to mention the chrome ring on one of the fobs easily broke off, which is dissapointing!! I'm going to be taking it in for a few services at Seattle Mini soon (this week hopefully) and hope they will have a look at these problems at the same time, preferably take care of them under warranty. Seems a bit early to have a failure like this! i have 8700 miles on the MINI!  lol

any help will be appreciated, i've searched all over the internet for this problem and havent found much yet.

thanks! i hope i can get this fixed!
2007 - Oxy Blue Mini Cooper

1998 - Brooklands Green Mini Cooper

1997 - Charcoal Rover Mini Cooper

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/09 at 11:31pm
Hmmm..not a problem I've heard of around here. I'm sure Seattle Mini will get you set up.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
WOODSTOCK View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past President)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOODSTOCK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/09 at 1:08am
Seattle MINI can reprogram them to match all the options currently set on the car.  If some have not been set or the batteries were completely drained, I think you might lose some of that and it probably doesn't come back automagically with a charge.  Probably thinks it's a new unprogrammed key maybe, although as you said, it works in some cases.  Could be the receiver, but that would be odd with how new the car is.  Also, there's an old trick about the wireless signal working better if you hold the key up under your chin.....on NAM, I think, I don't remember why, but it does work.....course you look silly doing it!
Linda
WOODSTOCK: Linda's 2005 LY MCSC with feel good graphics and go fast mods.
CINIMIN: Jack's 2006 Chili Red/White Coupe
KEMO-SABE: Our 2011 Bright White/Blk All4 Countryman
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/09 at 1:18am
Urban legend alert! Shocked
'80 Mini English White
RevKibosh View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RevKibosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/09 at 1:48am
have you tried the chin trick?  I'll verify that it works... not urban legend... you can also use the palm of your hand (with the key vertical, hold your hand flat over the key and point it toward the car).  I've tried it and the range is much better than the key by itself.  Of course, it might not make much difference if your key batteries are band new, but it helps with mine.
2004 BRG MCS - Gone

--Grant and Kylee
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/09 at 2:37am
'80 Mini English White
Kristin View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/09 at 4:20am

Quick!  Somebody submit this to the Mythbusters fan site.

TimC View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/09 at 4:48am
it indeed works... i pick up cars at the dealerships all over the place and we sometimes have to find the car by using the panic button on the keyfob... it works noticeably longer range when you stick the key under your chin. May vary from fob to fob, but it works. :) maybe its just because i have a fat head that works as a great DB booster for the transmitter! ;)

-Tim

Kristin View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/09 at 5:59am
Or maybe the more metal in one's head?  (glasses, fillings, braces, metal plate) LOL
kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/09 at 7:36am
You may want to search NAM to see if/how to re-program the keys to be accepted by the car.  I have had to do that on my '05 before.  I'm not sure if the procedure is the same or can even be done on an '07-up Mini...
One good turn deserves another...and another...

TimC View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/09 at 12:01pm
the more and more i read i understand the 2007+ are synced every time they are inserted in the ignition... and also will alert if batterys are going low... i'm positive the fobs are OK, but most likely its just the reciever in the mini that is as fault... the actuators work everytime if the manual key is used...not a failure there... hopefully seattle mini will make all this right and fix the problem, assuming its a reciever.   Odd problem from what i've seen, only a few people have had this problem from what i've searched online.  ONE person said the dealer had to replace the fobs and receiver as a whole unit to fix the problem...maybe that will happen to me.

beanybb View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beanybb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/09 at 12:05pm

If you are near a transmitter for a 2-way radio for instance, they will not work properly.  Bob was having problems with his, but he doesn't drive it much (poor wittle MINI!) and I think he just forgot which button to push to lock it!!!! LOL!!!  Good luck with yours.  I am pretty sure the dealers will help out with this.

BeanyBaby
A 2005 BlackEye Purple Cabrio
The better half of a two MINI family!
Anna
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/09 at 12:43pm
Seattle should be able to fix this for you, let them know your in the club 
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/09 at 1:23pm
Are you near military stuff?   Electronic Counter Measures seems to mess up remotely operated devices here, especially when the Navy forgets to shut them all off.  Our local dealerships could not open their new cars a few years back and it created a big political stink...

Stephen

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
TimC View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/09 at 12:03am
doesn't matter if i'm home, work, grocery store... just doesn't work about 80% of the time. After clicking the remote around 10-20 times it might work... recently, i always carry both remotes in case one works and the other doesnt...sometimes clicking them together seems to work in half as many clicks...lol. no remote is better then the other though. I just seems like the reciever in the mini is bad.  I just tinted my mini yesterday, but the problems started before that, either way the tint is ceramic and doens't interfere with any signals or electronic devices. gotta make sure i tell the dealer that too.

but yea, my wife was so upset when she got home yesterday as it didn't work all day, and had to use the manual key. haha. i can't imagine the dealer wouldn't fix this under warranty. i guess we are the "lucky" ones and got a defective keyless system. seems like a rare occurance so i will be patient til it goes into service.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/09 at 2:03am
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Post Reply Post Reply