Forum Home Forum Home > Autocross and Racing > Performance Driving/Track Days
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HPDE recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoopieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HPDE recommendations?
    Posted: March/21/15 at 11:55pm

I am looking into doing a HPDE class(s).  I've never taken one and would like to learn how to safely handle my car properly.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  If I enjoy it, which I assume I will, I'd like to eventually be able to do the local events.

Thanks

06 MCS RMW BVH, Street cam, RCA, coolant tank & Tune/Dinan CAI/Alta 15%V2/Dinan exhaust & ST/OS Giken GT/Carbon fiber/MOMO/BC coilover/swift
Redstarkid View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redstarkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/15 at 10:48pm
Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but the Bremerton Sports Club has an upcoming event for people wanting to get into Autocross. We just missed the one that was held on March 14th, but another will be happening May 24th. They will cover vehicle handling, navigation and other high performance driving topic. Plus they have helmets to loan if you don't have the gear already. What also seems nice is that by registering for that event, you become registered to participate at their track for the rest of their season. I'm planing on checking it out, and looking forward to it.

More information here: http://www.bscc.net/index.php/info/novice-program
Pippa-'04 Mini Cooper S in Pure Silver. Featuring an Alta 2.0 15% reduction Pully and 2% overdrive ATI Super Damper. Madness rear sway, Koni shocks, NGK plugs and wires, and polyurethane everything.
racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/15 at 7:12am
BMW and Porsche Clubs put on great Car Control Clinics (intro classes) and HPDE's (advanced classes).  More info here:

Autocross is another great way to learn the limits of your car, but I wouldn't recommend it as your first experience as it can be a little overwhelming, as well as only getting around 4-5 minutes of actual driving time.

Edited by racingbmwm3 - March/23/15 at 7:14am
'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/15 at 9:36am

Check out the IRDC site. They are having a racing school at The Ridge Motorsports Park  in April. Even if you are not interested in racing it's a great chance to get out on the track as a novice and get your feet wet. They have a ground school followed by a full day at the track where you will get to learn to drive the track and have an instructor with you in the right seat all day. I'll be instructing at the next one in April so let me know if you have any questions. Street cars are perfectly welcome (I've even seen a Prius participate) and generally are the majority. Just bring your helmet (loaners are available as well) and have some fun and the price is right. See more here...

register at Motorsportreg.com

Cheers,

Martin
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/15 at 3:46pm
SCCA is doing half day track nights - from novice to advanced. They are more affordable since they are just a half day instead of a full day. Ridge Motorsports Park, 3-9pm.
http://www.scca.com/news/?cid=52327
scoopieb View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoopieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/15 at 11:11pm

Thanks for all the info.  I've been to a few of the BMW events and watched Kurt and a few others run.  Those seem very reasonably priced with a fair amount of instruction.  The SCCA Tracknights are also priced reasonably but maybe a little less instruction.  I live about 10 miles from Pacific Raceway so events there are a little more appealing.  I'm also a novice so class time and instruction is one thing that's important to me.  The IRDC seems like they might provide the most instruction, having someone in the car with you all the time.

Has anyone heard of or know anything about http://proformanceracingschool.com/ ?  I found them online but know nothing about them.  They seem a bit higher priced then some of the other options.  But maybe lots of instruction.

Thanks again and I hope to see some of you at these events.

steve

06 MCS RMW BVH, Street cam, RCA, coolant tank & Tune/Dinan CAI/Alta 15%V2/Dinan exhaust & ST/OS Giken GT/Carbon fiber/MOMO/BC coilover/swift
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/15 at 11:46pm
Proformance operates out of Pacific Raceways. A great school, but probably the most expensive track education in the region. 

I got my start with the Porsche club. You may want to consider them as well. Very friendly and you get as much instructor time as you need. 
racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/15 at 7:34am
BMW and Porsche (no experience with IRDC) will pair you with an instructor until they feel you are ready to drive solo.  Even after that point, they'll give you an instructor for as much time as you want.  Those are the options I'd most recommend, and between the two you can get plenty of seat time.  You'll have to do the Car Control Clinic with BMW before you can do an HPDE, not sure about Porsche.  And ground school will happen with both clubs before track as well.  The Car Control clinics are very much worth it and cheaper than the HPDE, so I'd take at least one or one from each club before going on the big track.

I've only done the Proformance racing school, which is definitely the most expensive route; I haven't experienced their HPDE.
'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
Redstarkid View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redstarkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/15 at 1:24pm
If and when you find one you like, post about it here on the forum. Maybe some of us can get together and make a day of it. I've spent a lot of time upgrading my suspension and doing other work (with Kurt's help :) ), but haven't had a chance to drive anywhere near the limit.
Pippa-'04 Mini Cooper S in Pure Silver. Featuring an Alta 2.0 15% reduction Pully and 2% overdrive ATI Super Damper. Madness rear sway, Koni shocks, NGK plugs and wires, and polyurethane everything.
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/15 at 7:01am
I'll be at the PCA day on April 12th at The Ridge, Instructing at the IRDC school at The Ridge on April 18th and at a lapping day with Cantrell Motorsports/ProFormance at The Ridge on May 8th. If you are interested in coming out to see how it all works and chat about it stop on by and say hello. I'll be driving my Cayman S.
'80 Mini English White
scoopieb View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoopieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/15 at 11:51am
Thanks for all the input!!  Initially, I think I'm going to do the car control clinic and then the HPDS w/BMW at Pacific raceway.  The BMW seemed to have a few more dates at PR in Kent and I have a buddy in the BMW club that might participate.  The Porsche club seemed very similar but alternates between PR and the ridge.  After that we'll see where it leads.  Not sure the date yet but will post it when I decide.  Most likely it will be 5/29 & 6/26. 
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/15 at 6:46am
Just beware. It's very addictive! :) Enjoy and report back on you experience!
'80 Mini English White
 Post Reply Post Reply