Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Dealer Discussions > Service Discussions and Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mechanic Recommendation near Redmond

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srswanson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mechanic Recommendation near Redmond
    Posted: September/30/12 at 9:37am
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post to the forums in a very long time...

My 2007 Cooper S has a yellow check engine light along with a very rough idle and a distinct hesitation in the 1800 to 2000 RPM range.

Now that the car is out of warranty, I'm looking for a recommendation for a local (East Side) mechanic that is more convenient than driving to Seattle MINI.  Ideally, they might be less expensive than Seattle MINI too...

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

-Scott
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/12 at 10:32am
ZAHNTECH has been a club sponsor for a long time and several of us have been very satisfied with their service.  http://www.zahntechauto.com/
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/12 at 8:36pm
Drive a little farther to Renton and another club sponsor - South Lake European.  I've known Derek for a number of years, off and on, and can vouch for his dedication to high quality, reasonably priced work.  I don't know the folk at Zahntech, but other club members have talked about their great service on this site for a number of years.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/12 at 7:51pm
Do you know what is the diagnostic code or why the light is coming on? It could be an easy fix. Several of us in the club have code readers (including me - I'm in Bothell) to help point you in the right direction. 

Hard to say without knowing what is the code, but sounds like a bad sensor or an air leak of some sort. 

srswanson View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srswanson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/13 at 10:42am
I realized I never followed up on my original post.

First - Thanks to everyone for the recommendations.  I ended up taking my car to Zahntech since it is close to where I live.

ZahnTech had the car for 3 days and the check engine light issue is still not completely resolved.  They replaced the MAF, and cleaned the valves with 2 different solvents.  The engine is running significantly better now.  The idle is smoother and the power is back.

However, the engine is still throwing 2 codes:  P115C, and C0700.  Both of these are MFR specific codes and don't show up in any of the online OBDii databases I've found.  ZahnTech isn't sure yet what the source of these codes are.  I needed the car back - but will be taking it back to them this week to get this issue straightened out.

From the research I've done on the web, it appears these codes are due to insufficient airflow volume.  
- Since the MAF is new, that isn't the issue.
- My air filter is less than 1 year old, so that shouldn't be the issue.
- A vacuum leak or other leak in the air inlet side could be the problem.  The engine is getting enough air based on the exhaust censors and fuel limits.  But, the MAF doesn't think so.
- I actually found one post from a MINI owner on NAM that suggested rotating the MAF tube so the connector plug was horizontal stopped his engine from throwing a P115C code.  That seems strange, but who knows...

Anyone have any ideas or have experienced a similar issue?

Thanks again for all of the feedback.

-Scott

2007 R56 Cooper S

Woodeye View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woodeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/14 at 7:23pm
I have a 2003S, which I bought new in 2002, now with 100,000 miles on it.  I had Zahntech replace the clutch, water pump, front bushings, oil in the supercharger, add a pulley reducer, and do some other work.  They were outstanding.   I highly recommend them as an alternative to the dealer.  Prices were lower, they knew the car, and they honored the club discount.  Very good at explaining what and why.

As an aside, Puget Sound Mini in Fife replaced the steering pump and fan, no questions or hassle, under warranty, about three months ago, with 98,000 miles on the car.  I was pleasantly surprised.   
 Post Reply Post Reply