Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

motor and transmission question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vmax-boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: motor and transmission question
    Posted: November/24/15 at 9:08am
HI,

My son has a 1990 998cc Mini out of Japan with A/C and automatic transmission.  The motor seized and it has been recommended we take the subframe, engine with a manual transmission from a 1275A car and replace the automatic and 998 engine.

Brooklands in Tacoma is doing the engine-swap work, but the motor and transmission we had planned on buying turns out to have some problems which will cost a lot to fix.  

In case the seller and I can't come to an agreement (he's a good guy so I'm hopeful we can negotiate a lower price than originally agreed upon), is there anyone out there (in the Tacoma/Seattle area) with a good, reliable 1275A with a manual transmission?  If so, what is the price you'd ask for it?

For that matter, what is a fair price for a good, used 1275 engine transmission in general?

Thanks for the help!

Please feel free to email me at chrisvkimball@msn.com

Sincerely,

Chris
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/15 at 8:04am
Have you thought about doing a Honda V-tech swap since you are going "all in" anyway? Just curious. I have a Japenese Spec as well with the auto and interested to hear about your swap.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/15 at 4:04pm

In case you haven't yet, you might try contacting the Seattle Area Mini Owners' Association (SAMOA). It's a group of "classic" Mini owners and they may have some leads for you.

Cheers!

Vmax-boy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vmax-boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/15 at 4:09pm
Thanks for your reply.  Since we found a 1275, it seemed the logical way to go.  I don't know what would be involved in the V-tech engine, but I bet it would be more expensive to incorporate that into the car.

If you email me directly at chrisvkimball@msn.com I'll let you know how the swap turns out.  The guy at Brooklands seems to think it will all be OK in the end!
Vmax-boy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vmax-boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/15 at 4:10pm
I was going to go to SAMOA but after talking with the motor owner we came to an agreement price-wise, and I'm going to give it a shot!  Wish me luck...
DneprDave View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DneprDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/15 at 4:57pm
I really like those A series motors, I learned about engines with them!

If you can fix your lawnmower motor you can fix one of those!
Chili red/ Black roof 2010 Clubman S automatic transmission.

Shadetree mechanic
Vmax-boy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vmax-boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/15 at 5:00pm
I'm not too much of a car mechanic, but maybe this motor will change all that...!
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/15 at 8:24am
Best of luck with the project, and let us know how it turns out!  We love the little Minis  Big smile
Vmax-boy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vmax-boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/15 at 2:17pm
Thanks!  We're keeping our fingers crossed.
 Post Reply Post Reply