Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question: BOV versus CRV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question: BOV versus CRV
    Posted: September/25/14 at 6:50am

What are the difference between a Blow Off Valve (BOV)  and a Compressor Recirculation Valve (CRV) ?   

Specifically Alta's CRV versus Forge BOV for the R56.
07 MCS sprt/aero/prem/nav/keylss/xnon: Alta CAI, Alta TB, Alta stealth FMIC, Alta Boost tubes, NM Eng tower bar, 25mm hollow SB, HR, Elbrus104, Toyo, JCW carbons, Whalen, ss lines, 10” subs/650wt.
DneprDave View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DneprDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/14 at 1:12pm
A Blow Off Valve vents to atmosphere and a Compressor Recirculation Valve bypasses the compressor.
The result is the same, lowering the boost pressure. The Blow Off Valve makes a "Woosh" sound when it vents.

Dave
Chili red/ Black roof 2010 Clubman S automatic transmission.

Shadetree mechanic
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/14 at 1:21pm
It is illegal to vent to atmosphere. I'm not saying this as your mother ;)

I only mention it so you're not surprised at inspection time. I have no idea if WA State actually catches this and will fail you. I know some states will catch this and take you off the road immediately. Maybe others who have lived here longer or have a BOV can chime in.
bbm View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/14 at 3:51pm

I just had my R56 inspected with a BOV last July.  Passed with flying colors. 

I’m guessing because the inspection method has changed.  They use to instruct you to rev up and down on their rollers as instructed by the inspector.   That’s when it becomes obvious when the BOV blows off.   But this time all they did was plug in their computer directly to my OBD port.   Maybe that’s why I passed with the BOV. 

I just spoke to Chris Cone of Alta.   I was not too convince there is any big difference.  His best selling point for the CRV was that it will not trigger my check engine light.   But my Forge BOV has never than that, even with the Alta AccessPort tuner.   

Anyway I only asked this question because I received an email from Alta promoting their CRV... I’m staying with the BOV.  I like the whoosh sound.

Thanks all.    

07 MCS sprt/aero/prem/nav/keylss/xnon: Alta CAI, Alta TB, Alta stealth FMIC, Alta Boost tubes, NM Eng tower bar, 25mm hollow SB, HR, Elbrus104, Toyo, JCW carbons, Whalen, ss lines, 10” subs/650wt.
 Post Reply Post Reply