Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > How To Do It
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R53 Clutch replacement video - POV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R53 Clutch replacement video - POV
    Posted: February/13/14 at 8:17pm

Replacing the clutch on Jason Grover (SuperCoop)'s 2005 MINI. 

Mechanic's eye view of a Valeo replacement clutch and flywheel for a 2005 MINI Cooper S (R53). We also replaced the rear main seal. 

Sorry for the camera angle missing the action sometimes - the 'hat cam' video recorder was pointing up too high for many of the shots. 

Total job time around 9 hours. 

Procedure is the same for any R53 or R53 supercharged MINI Cooper, year 2003 - 2006. For non-supercharged MINIs 2002-2006, you don't need to remove the bumper or most of the air intake path.

Willcoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willcoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/14 at 6:20pm
Was anything besides the rear main seal leaking oil on this car? I recently replaced my crank sensor o ring but my car is still leaking and my engine is covered in oil just like this car which makes me think the rear main seal is bad. I also have an R53.
2006 JCW Checkmate-Wilwood big brake kit-Chrono package-H&R sport springs-H sport adjustable camber links
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/14 at 8:32pm
The common suspects are crank sensor o-ring, rear main seal, front main seal, oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket, roughly in that order. 

Crank sensor starts leaking after like 40k miles. 
The others don't usually start leaking until around 120k or so, but they sometimes start leaking sooner. I've seen a few rear main seal leakers cause premature clutch failure. 
Willcoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willcoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/14 at 9:27pm
My crank sensor is dry since I replace the o ring. Front main seal looks dry with no grime, oil pan might be weeping a little bit but isn't leaking. There is no oil or grime above the heat shield on the starter or from the oil filter forward. All of the oil seems to be around where the bell housing meets the engine block.

Do you recommend resurfacing the stock flywheel or buying a new clutch that comes with a flywheel? Can dual mass flywheels be resurfaced? My car has 55,000 miles so I am hoping I won't have to replace the clutch when I change the rear main but while I am there it makes sense to do it as well.

Is there anything that you recommend replacing while the transmission is off?
2006 JCW Checkmate-Wilwood big brake kit-Chrono package-H&R sport springs-H sport adjustable camber links
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/14 at 9:39pm
Sounds like bad rear main seal. 
The flywheel cannot be resurfaced. I usually recommend people to switch to the Valeo sold flywheel and clutch conversion kit - basically the same as every normal car out there. It has a bit lighter feel than the stock setup and is cheaper by a bit as well. 

Here's a link to the kit I've been installing. No complaints yet. Oh, and I installed on my own car as well. Seems to handle the 240HP with no issues so far. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049PMBCM/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0049PMBCM&linkCode=as2&tag=mimlif-20

I'd recommend replacing all the front suspension parts while the subframe is out - inner and outer ball joints and control arm bushings. (The outer ball joints are optional -they can be easily done at any time - but the inner ball joints and the control arms are much easier to do at this stage.)
Amazon has good prices on those as well. 

Willcoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willcoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/14 at 9:47pm
Thanks for the amazon link I will have to look into that. I will also have to check out my suspension bushings while I am at it.

All of your youtubes videos definitely make mini repair much easier.
amethystMINI View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amethystMINI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/15 at 4:40pm
Corners, how busy are you lately?  Looks like I'm in need of this same job, plus found a few leaks that need to be addressed myself too.  Glad to hear you're familiar with the Valeo.
Eat, Drink, and Motor, for tomorrow we die!
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/15 at 9:43pm
Hey there,
Yeah, I've been keeping busy.

Here's updated videos - much much better than the old version at the top of this post.
Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83t1MoklcIs

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH8KHy-rw_k

runemtight View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runemtight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/16 at 10:04pm
Your videos are great for the home DIY.  Replaced my clutch following your videos.  Super job, I always look to see if you've posted a video before embarking on maintenance now.  

Thanks, and keep making videos.
 Post Reply Post Reply