Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Zippy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Zippy
    Posted: February/07/16 at 7:26pm
As some of you may know and for those that don't, my beloved R50 Zippy died yesterday while protecting me, my dogs, and a pedestrian. On my way to autocross with some of our members, a pickup ran a red light going very fast, and tboned Zippy, shooting us 50 feet away in a 180. My boyfriend, driving right behind me, grabbed my smallest dog out of my lap, the other dog had jumped out the window and ran off. Luckily we found her hours later with some minor cuts.

Luckily, I don't remember much between proceeding through the intersection in my green light, and when I was in the ambulance. The pedestrian was crossing the intersection and jumped out of the way.

The cop told my mom when she got to the scene that if it was any other car, it may have ended differently and said he will be going out and buying a MINI.

These little cars are sure engineered well and I am blessed little Zippy saved not just my life, but 3 others as well. I said my goodbyes today and admit I have been bawling my eyes out. Those that know me know that car meant the world to me...even after purchasing my new Roadster in October, Zippy can never be replaced.

As for me, I am very sore and bruised and cut, but alive. I am excited to get back in Luna and enjoy some events. Pieces of Zippy will continue to live on....stay tuned.

R.I.P.: "Zippy"-Hyper Blue Metallic/White 2005 R50."MINI-ME" plates. Side wing decals.

"Luna" - White Silver 2014 Roadster S. "RDSTER" plates.

"Aura" - Space Blue/Silver 2006 Cooper S.
Dave's not here View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave's not here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/16 at 8:27pm
Ashley, I'm so sorry to hear about Zippy but glad to know that you and your pets are OK.  Wishing you a quick recovery. 

Dave
5 race wins, 2 in the rain. 2nd in ICSCC G Production Championship 2005 and 2006. Now I'm just gonna drive the MINI.
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/16 at 9:35pm

Ashley -

So happy to hear you and the dogs and pedestrian are OK and  on your way to a speedy and complete recovery.  PSMINI events won't be the same with out Zippy in attendance but you will be there and that is what really matters. 

Take care,

Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/16 at 9:41pm
Thanks Dave and Jack

It hurts, and hard to think of Zippy in a junk yard and not in the driveway. But he will live on and I have some keepsakes.....now to put my energy into making Luna the best she can be!
R.I.P.: "Zippy"-Hyper Blue Metallic/White 2005 R50."MINI-ME" plates. Side wing decals.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/16 at 10:02pm
On the plus side - it's pretty easy to find a CVT R50 that "just needs a new transmission" - we can put together a Zippy 2.0! 

Kirby11 View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/16 at 10:02pm
Ashley thank goodness you are OK! Zippy made the ultimate sacrifice for you, that's just what a great car he was. As an animal lover, I was also relieved that the dogs were OK too and that you found the one that ran off. What a horrific experience!

-Steph
2011 LB/W MCS "PINTSZE" (*SOLD*)
WOODSTOCK View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past President)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOODSTOCK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/16 at 11:24pm
I was so sorry to hear about this, Ashley, but so glad you and the puppies are ok. Nick must have been terrified watching that unfold in front of him.
Be well.
WOODSTOCK: Linda's 2005 LY MCSC with feel good graphics and go fast mods.
CINIMIN: Jack's 2006 Chili Red/White Coupe
KEMO-SABE: Our 2011 Bright White/Blk All4 Countryman
hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/16 at 7:27am
Ashley,  sorry to hear about Zippy.  We all feel your pain.  I'm glad everyone was ok. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.
Mitch & Teri
<font color=BLUE>2006 Cooper Checkmate[/COLOR]
<font color=RED>2013 JCW Countryman[/COLOR]
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/16 at 2:00pm

Oh, My lord!  I'm just seeing this!  Ashley, I am so totally relieved that you and your pets (and the pedestrian) will recover!  (so happy that you were able to locate the missing dog too!).

I am very sad about Zippy as he is almost a twin for my MINI, and I know how beloved they are.  I'm glad you have the new Roadster and can put the same ENTHUSIASM into it as you did in Zippy.  Wishing you a FULL & SPEEDY recovery! 

This sounds like another case of a distracted driver ??? The biggest menace to our driving safety. Angry

shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/16 at 10:27am
Yes, he left from his apartment just like 100 feet from impact site...police say he was groggy as if just woke up, and mentioned this is not his first accident.

The timing of my going through that intersection the exact moment he shut his eyes while driving is impeccable. Very sad to have lost my baby.

Sixate View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/16 at 2:28pm
Nick and I now have "watching her" in an accident in common.  My now ex- was pregnant with our first child and in the car in front of me when she was hit.  Hard on the driver's side.  I have to tell you that the longest "few seconds" of your life is the time between seeing the impact and reaching the car to verify she is OK.  That was about 28 years ago and it is still a vivid and scary memory.  

You may have lost your "baby," but we are all glad that Nick didn't lose his "baby."
07 MCSa Laser Blue w/ checkboards everywhere
Transmission 6 speeds...Gas pedal 1 speed....Full Speed Ahead!
Saphire View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saphire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/16 at 7:59pm
Ashley and Nick, am glad you are okish.   Did you get to save one of the front seats to make into a rocking chair?   I am thinking tippy zippy chair.   Les.
 Post Reply Post Reply