Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rotor resurfacing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rotor resurfacing
    Posted: June/03/14 at 4:14pm

Will I be safe having my rotors turned when minimum spec is 19mm and my discs are 20mm wide? Turning won't shave a full millimeter of disc width yeah? Will be replacing pads as well.

<-- CJ - '04 Cooper
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/14 at 4:16pm
How much does that cost? I usually just replace them or reuse if they look good and cost is a concern. 

If you are 1mm off minimum spec now, you will be that much closer after, and the the metal will continue to wear away beyond that. 
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/14 at 8:53pm
If you are fitting pads of a different brand or configuration and do not change rotors your new pads may ride on a ridge where the rotors did not wear down to the same thickness as the area where the old pads sat.  Best to change rotors at the same time as the pads and let them wear out together...
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/14 at 10:12pm
If someone charges you for turning the rotors they are cheating you in my opinion.  Really - time to change out the rotors.  You won't be happy with the turned rotors and you may be gambling on the effectiveness of the most important system on your car.  Change out the rotors. No choice.  NAPA has fairly good prices on the rotors, as does Autozone.  Change the rotors.

2006 Hyper Blue JCW
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/14 at 7:03am
I've had my rotors turned on both cars recently and have had no problems.  I am lucky to have an old fashioned parts store down the street from me (Roxbury Auto Parts) and most days they can do them in just a couple of hours or less, even on a Saturday morning.  Yes, metal can be recycled but using a machined piece for it's intended use for as long as possible makes the most sense to me.  

Everybody can make their own decisions and I do so at times as well; when I had to do that emergency brake job when I was in Fargo a couple of years ago I decided to toss the old rotors in a metal recycling bin back there rather than drag them back across the country.  Space was tight and they are actually pretty heavy.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
racingbmwm3 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/14 at 8:04am
You are more likely to warp the discs once you get to the min. thickness or below.  You're also going to have more brake pedal travel, as well as the ABS/stability control will have to work just a little bit harder to pump that extra volume of fluid.   Yes, there is likely an engineering safety factor of around 2 built into the design of the braking system, but the engineers calculated your discs should be replaced at that thickness or below to always stay in the peak performance region.  

Doubt this would ever happen, but should you turn your rotors and end up below min. thickness, and then get in a collision, the insurance company could potentially put you at fault for defective equipment.
http://www.all-about-car-accidents.com/resources/auto-accident/after-car-accident/how-tire-blowouts-cause-major-accidents

'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/14 at 9:33am
I have no problem resurfacing rotors as long as there is enough meat left to prevent the problems listed by racingbmwm3.  Add to that there is less "heat sink" capacity for spirited driving or maybe even going down a steep grade for a while.  I believe the braking system is the most important system on the whole car and should be treated the same way as anything that could save your life.  And to expand on the above, if there is a collision where injuries are sufficient that a lawsuit might end up being filed, you can bet the agency investigating the crash will look at all vehicles involved very critically.  I just can't say enough about keeping your braking system at optimal performance, including refreshing the brake fluid when needed.

2006 Hyper Blue JCW
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/14 at 5:25pm
Plus new rotors are not much more expensive than turning the old ones. Plus you have the parts ready to go so the whole job is about an hour. 2 if you have to replace the wear sensors.

Edited by garumph - June/04/14 at 5:27pm
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/14 at 10:15am
I think tires are the most important system on the car, brakes second.  If you spent 3k on a BBK, and only $30/tire for some all seasons, how well is the car going to stop or swerve to avoid a collision?

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/14 at 10:30am
Ahh - you're right.  I always buy good tires, so didn't think of it that way.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/14 at 3:00pm
How much does it cost to turn rotors? 

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/14 at 4:32pm
Last time I checked, $15 to $20 a rotor.  Some shops won't turn slotted or drilled rotors.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingbmwm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/14 at 8:25am
an alternative to turning your rotors, for those planning on turning their rotors.  Don't.  It's not necessary unless you have warped rotors, in which case you are better off replacing them with good quality rotors anyway.  If you turn warped rotors, you'll end up with a varying thickness surface, which is just going to warp even worse then before.  
There could be slight justification to re-surfacing the rotor if you are changing to a different brand of brake pad, but either way, you'll have to go through the bedding process, it will just take longer if you don't turn them, but at least you are starting off with a thicker rotor.
Brakes (and tires) are the worst possible place to try to save money.  If you disagree, you should probably be driving a Hyundai Accent and buying the lifetime brakes from Les Schwab.
/rant
no.9 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/14 at 8:29pm
Thanks for the advice everyone. Trying to get the most bang for the least buck... went new all around. Ended up trying a shop I used to use years ago. Same owner but now BMW specific. Same good prices. May not be OEM product, but OEM quality, German made, etc.
<-- CJ - '04 Cooper
 Post Reply Post Reply